Ode to a former forum

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
but some of them (from Stingtalk) that i've noticed don't really post the same way here, maybe the moderation is better.

I think Eric and the mods do a good job trying to keep the trolls in the dungeon, but I've noticed some threads lately getting derailed ever so similar to ST.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Did the student dorm area in '97. and the north lot in '07....Met Taylor Bennett's parents wandering around the Tech Tailgaters.
In '07 I wore my "Rudy was offsides" tshirt and got a lot of smiles and chuckles from the ND faithful during pregame/tailgating. After the game, which we won in a landslide, I went to mass (it's a tradition for the students after games) at my brothers old dorm, Alumni Hall. All the student dorms have a small chapel and resident priest. Anyway, my brother and I got to mass late and it was standing room only. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they read my shirt at that point in time. Priceless.

Here's a little trip down memory lane:

rudy_was_offsides_tees-rb2cd59fc34544d97acd188c0ef564f7e_va6l9_512.jpg%3Fbg%3D0xffffff

JD21's first college td. People forget he played some in '07. Tashard really went off in this one, though.

Animal02

Banned
In '07 I wore my "Rudy was offsides" tshirt and got a lot of smiles and chuckles from the ND faithful during pregame/tailgating. After the game, which we won in a landslide, I went to mass (it's a tradition for the students after games) at my brothers old dorm, Alumni Hall. All the student dorms have a small chapel and resident priest. Anyway, my brother and I got to mass late and it was standing room only. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they read my shirt at that point in time. Priceless.

Here's a little trip down memory lane:

rudy_was_offsides_tees-rb2cd59fc34544d97acd188c0ef564f7e_va6l9_512.jpg%3Fbg%3D0xffffff

JD21's first college td. People forget he played some in '07. Tashard really went off in this one, though.

I remember them announcing the mass schedule at the '97 game....also remember George P Burdell getting paged. '07, the only real cheer from the ND fans was when the announced the App State Michigan final score. ND is the most beautiful campus I have been on. Already looking forward to it. Need to find out where to tailgate in Pittsburgh this year.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I am a homer because.......

I realize it's a game, a sport played by kids under a lot of stress and are not responsible for my ego or bragging rights.
I am a homer because Georgia Tech captured my imagination when I was 10 years old and continues to do that 53 years later.
I am a homer because in my experience, when things are not going well, the answer is to 'work' through it and persevere.
I am a homer because my emotional well-being is not dependent on winning a football 'game'. The kids are more important than my chest thumping.
I am a homer simply because I'm loyal. I am not an alumni, but I threw my lot in with Georgia Tech when I was 10. I declared, I committed, period.
I am a homer because Georgia Tech does college sports the 'right' way. They're not perfect, but they're diametrically opposite the 'factories'.
I am a homer because White and Gold are beautiful (heavenly colors) and red and black is uuuugggggly!
I am a homer because Georgia Tech has GREAT Tradition and should be perpetuated....forever!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why anybody feels we need balance to be a quality board is beyond me. I guarantee you, if we were mired in a B***L**** type of funk there wouldn't be balance. By the same token, if we had gone 5 straight seasons with BCS bowl wins, there wouldn't be balance either. In either case the board could easily be a great place to visit. What we need is a complete lack of "drive by shootings" and a strong dose of civility. Personally, I could care less if a poster is positive or negative as long as he is willing to back up his position with a well reasoned argument and leaves room for others to do the same. The major reasons I prefer this board to all others is because they enforce civil discourse rules and they force you to stick to the point without derailing threads. I hope all who post here embrace that spirit. There are plenty of sites to creatively insult others. Please go there if that is what you want to do.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Why anybody feels we need balance to be a quality board is beyond me. I guarantee you, if we were mired in a B***L**** type of funk there wouldn't be balance. By the same token, if we had gone 5 straight seasons with BCS bowl wins, there wouldn't be balance either. In either case the board could easily be a great place to visit. What we need is a complete lack of "drive by shootings" and a strong dose of civility. Personally, I could care less if a poster is positive or negative as long as he is willing to back up his position with a well reasoned argument and leaves room for others to do the same. The major reasons I prefer this board to all others is because they enforce civil discourse rules and they force you to stick to the point without derailing threads. I hope all who post here embrace that spirit. There are plenty of sites to creatively insult others. Please go there if that is what you want to do.
Yeah argue with me all you want with x and o arguments.I can did this but when a person posts his own opinion and gets shot down by several it aint fun.found out years ago when I first went in a Court Room that there are three sides to every argument....what I believe........what you believe...........and what is the real truth which at times is between the two opinions. Been through one war vs a guy who defamed my family and dont want to be around for a another one........Boomer has it right..use good judgement and no personal attacks and it will be fun.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but would take it a step further. Attempts at witty/cynical quips aimed at our coach is very tiresome and antagonistic, too. I'm fine if you don't like our coach, but as long as he is our coach he represents the program and school I love. Disagree all you want with his methods and actions, don't attack the man. Similarly, there's no need to express your disdain in every single thread. We get it, you don't like the coach.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but would take it a step further. Attempts at witty/cynical quips aimed at our coach is very tiresome and antagonistic, too. I'm fine if you don't like our coach, but as long as he is our coach he represents the program and school I love. Disagree all you want with his methods and actions, don't attack the man. Similarly, there's no need to express your disdain in every single thread. We get it, you don't like the coach.
Agree with you but losing football games and playing badly is always going to generate some heat for the coach.I agree though PJ I think is good man and my kick has always been that after year two of his reign we have not gotten it together..of course the old adage that a squeaking door gets oil etc is still around and remember the way Chan went was in a minor part due to fans giving up on his coaching.Just want us to do better...tired of folks thinking we are a non issue when it comes to football.Yeah argue over facts and figures not coaches and players unless there is a big mistake......we have enough problems with Tech now to compound anything.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I absolutely agree, Boomer. "Balance" depends on what is happening at the present time. At the same time, I think some of the criticisms of the current staff stem from each fan's expectations. Some fans are happy with a with winning and going to a bowl game, others are happy just to compete, and others want to win the conference every year and go to a BCS bowl. No one is right or wrong, it just comes from expectations people place on their beloved team. You put people in a room, each of whom have different expectations, and there will certainly be animated discussions.

The main point you're making, which is that no matter how you feel, everyone should be civil about approaching their views. That is absolutely 100% on point. I know I am guilty of falling short of it at times. However, I think people who have high expectations should be treated the same as people who "drink the koolaid" (for lack of better description). I guess everyone just needs to approach their POV with the other person's POV in mind.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
This is an open board for this very reason, so the members can post their likes and dislikes of the various sports programs. If a particular person wants to post his views of the coach every day, then it is his perogative, however, it might not be the best thing to do if the posting member wants to be considered as a person with a lot of savy. Sometimes, however, this person may be replying to an opposite type who makes a post every day on the greatness of the existing coach. This boils down to a situation where both parties must resists posting the negatives and positives. This tends to lead to no-postings on the board. It is also true that those who continue to post the greatness of the present coach will have the others saying, "Alright, we know you love the coach, but do you have to post it every day? We get the picture"!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely agree, Boomer. "Balance" depends on what is happening at the present time. At the same time, I think some of the criticisms of the current staff stem from each fan's expectations. Some fans are happy with a with winning and going to a bowl game, others are happy just to compete, and others want to win the conference every year and go to a BCS bowl. No one is right or wrong, it just comes from expectations people place on their beloved team. You put people in a room, each of whom have different expectations, and there will certainly be animated discussions.

The main point you're making, which is that no matter how you feel, everyone should be civil about approaching their views. That is absolutely 100% on point. I know I am guilty of falling short of it at times. However, I think people who have high expectations should be treated the same as people who "drink the koolaid" (for lack of better description). I guess everyone just needs to approach their POV with the other person's POV in mind.
When you frame the debate as between "high expectations" and "drinking the koolaid," you're not working hard enuf to understand the other POV.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When you frame the debate as between "high expectations" and "drinking the koolaid," you're not working hard enuf to understand the other POV.

that's why I said "for lack of better description". Calm down man, not everything has to be antagonistic.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As a fan (this is a fan board), it's much easier to overlook an overzealously positive fan who constantly rah, rah's than it is to overlook a debbie downer who is constantly poor-mouthing the coaching staff, admin, etc. I'll take a fan with blind exuberance, posting nothing but fluff, any day over someone who is constantly harping about what someone or everyone is doing wrong.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well no doubt we have both on this board and some will be offended and .......some will not.I think most fans are somewhere in between the two.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well no doubt we have both on this board and some will be offended and .......some will not.I think most fans are somewhere in between the two.

My point was that I disagree with that way of characterizing the fanbase, let alone a legitimate poles between which fans can lie. A lot of fans who don't see CPJ or his offense as the problem still have high expectations. Moreover, they often give actual evidence and arguments for why they feel that way rather than just "drinking the koolaid" or even expressing an emotionally charged opinion ad nauseam. Framing the debate the way Techster did characterizes those with whom he disagrees as unthinking with low expectations.

For example, if I had characterized the two parts of the fan base as the thoughtful, rational folk who don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water on the one side and the, for lack of a better description, "the infants and senile" on the other, I'm not sure claiming, "I said, 'for lack of a better description;' calm down" would make that framing of the debate any less offensive.

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
I like this board for SIX reasons.....

1. Less emotion, more mature discussions
2. GREAT recruiting scoop, thanks ERIC!! (I guess I just used too much emotion)
3. Less "I have 8 billion posts, how dare you question me, crap"
4. "I have 8 billion posts so I am a better fan than you, crap"
5. I didn't have very many friends who played in the band when I went to GT or HS
6. I really don't give a rats arse about the 'there is no #6 Monty Python", crap

Summary, less crap, more good stuff......

Mack

Helluva Engineer
My point was that I disagree with that way of characterizing the fanbase, let alone a legitimate poles between which fans can lie. A lot of fans who don't see CPJ or his offense as the problem still have high expectations. Moreover, they often give actual evidence and arguments for why they feel that way rather than just "drinking the koolaid" or even expressing an emotionally charged opinion ad nauseam. Framing the debate the way Techster did characterizes those with whom he disagrees as unthinking with low expectations.

For example, if I had characterized the two parts of the fan base as the thoughtful, rational folk who don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water on the one side and the, for lack of a better description, "the infants and senile" on the other, I'm not sure claiming, "I said, 'for lack of a better description;' calm down" would make that framing of the debate any less offensive.
Don't take it so hard I have been on. 4 blogs and have seen this on each of them.folks just express passion different I guess.Doubt language will change but you are right.....language should change since we are not gaining much understanding