OC Chip Long Press Conference

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff.
I
Good stuff as always, 54!

I wrote in various threads over the years that just because offenses look the "same" doesn't mean they are the same. The whole notion that GT will fail "doing what everyone else does" is a product of low fanbase self esteem. I think fans get caught up in formations and the way something looks, that they don't realize that coaches have their own spin what happens to get from point A to point B. There's a lot that goes on in between, and that's what makes coaching unique...not formations, not how something looks.

For instance, Mike Leach has a LOT of successful Air Raid coaching proteges at various levels. Two of which are Dana Holgorsen and Lincoln Riley. Mike Leach is the "passing version" of Paul Johnson. Leach LOVES to put the ball in the air (much like CPJ emphasizes the running game). This year, Leach passed 700+ times versus rushing it 200+ times. He's as pure to the Air Raid as CPJ is to the spread option. Lincoln Riley uses the Air Raid passing concepts to set up RPO and play action. He's also starting to emphasize dual threat QBs to put even more stress on defenses. Oklahoma ran the ball more than they passed under Lincoln Riley every years he was the HC or OC (2015-2021). Some years by large margins. Holgorsen is much the same as Riley's. He loves to use the Air Raid schemes to set up his RPO and play action game.

Friedgen, IMO gold tinted view, is one of best offensive masterminds for his era...his concepts would still devastate defenses in the modern game. What he was doing wasn't too unique for his coaching period, he just had an uncanny ability to find your weakness then attack them, and his passing and running schemes were sound. GT didn't "out athlete" many teams during the Friedgen era, but look what his offenses did to FSU/Miami/UGA.

54's videos are great examples of the point I'm trying to make. It's not what we're running, it's who's running it. Hopefully, Long will be the OC breakthrough GT needs. GT isn't a school coaches can come to "out athlete" other schools. We need the "money ball" type of OCs (and DCs) who can outscheme other coaches, find and develop talent, and sign the 5-8 elite recruits every year.

Real good points.
I sure hope this oc and the qb coach work out. If we have a pretty good 22 and cgc and crew recruit the top end (8) of your recruiting range, we can let collins stay while. 23 the ol will be a lot better. For 23 we can get Tstan ,key , and long find a dc who has successful p5 experience. Yes that costs $$, but then we can let cgc cheer the team on and recruit. Kind of a cheap version of Clemson.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff.
I

Real good points.
I sure hope this oc and the qb coach work out. If we have a pretty good 22 and cgc and crew recruit the top end (8) of your recruiting range, we can let collins stay while. 23 the ol will be a lot better. For 23 we can get Tstan ,key , and long find a dc who has successful p5 experience. Yes that costs $$, but then we can let cgc cheer the team on and recruit. Kind of a cheap version of Clemson.
I would really feel better if we had the DC this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff.
I

Real good points.
I can see the Clemson comparison. Good recruiting, cheerleader HC with good coordinators. I'm fired up about Chip Long. He's a solid, top drawer P5 coordinator. Hoping against hope Geoff can get it done on defense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would really feel better if we had the DC this year.
Agree, but cgc is in penalty box.
During the game,
no wandering around hugging a d encouraging guys.
No more hustling along sideline getting loose balls to line judge,
No more checking on other teams injured player

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
chip long seems like a guy who wants total control of the offense, and i think that’s a good thing

I like the fact that Long has been at the highest level as OC and had success there. Sounds like he's a tough coach. We could use that right now. I'm willing to cut him some slack for this year given the situation with Tulane having to move to Birmingham for a portion of the season. Is he the best in the business? If so, he most likely wouldn't be coming here with the current situation. Do I like what he has to say and his background? Yes. Sounds like he may be one of the adults in the room and, if the offense plays well, could step in if our current coach doesn't make it through the season next year.

Also like the talk of using the personnel he has to the best of their ability. Perhaps if we had done that more in Years 1 and 2, we would have been in a bit better shape as opposed to trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Where I'm hopeful is it seems that Long and Key are in concert about what they want from the OL. This may help our OL perform better.
Agree up and down the Offensive side of the ball. They way he flexes TEs (and I will bet RBs with our current roster) between power football run game and more speed driven spread will be of interest. I can't help but shake the sense that CDP was going for a more finesse offense and opposed to Speed kills, BpBuSp type stuff that CBK and CCL seem to believe in.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't listen to the interview. IMHO, talk is cheap. Let see what he can DO(!) with the personnel he has inherited. Time will tell.
CGC sounded good and Coach Thacker sounded competent. Not much DO in these two so far.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I didn't listen to the interview. IMHO, talk is cheap. Let see what he can DO(!) with the personnel he has inherited. Time will tell.
CGC sounded good and Coach Thacker sounded competent. Not much DO in these two so far.

CGC never sounded good he sold **** anyone with half a brain knew it was all platitudes. Thacker did however sound competent.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
At this point of the season all we have is talk. So I'm not real sure what your point is here. All he can do is talk. All we can do is listen and speculate. If you aren't into one of those two things then coming to The Swarm is probably a waste of time for you right now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
At this point of the season all we have is talk. So I'm not real sure what your point is here. All he can do is talk. All we can do is listen and speculate. If you aren't into one of those two things then coming to The Swarm is probably a waste of time for you right now.
I think maybe his point is to call attention to the disconnect between talk and action we've seen here for the last three years.
As for Chip Long, I have a lot more faith in him because of his track record at Notre Dame than anything he says.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
CGC never sounded good he sold **** anyone with half a brain knew it was all platitudes. Thacker did however sound competent.
I thought Patenaude sounded highly competent. I found his technical x's & o's discussions to be informative and knowledgeable. But, I'm just a layperson. Thacker always seemed amped up and struggling to find the words to explain what he thought. Just my impression.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I thought Patenaude sounded highly competent. I found his technical x's & o's discussions to be informative and knowledgeable. But, I'm just a layperson. Thacker always seemed amped up and struggling to find the words to explain what he thought. Just my impression.

I really liked how Thacker answered in pressers. It just unfortunately hasn't translated to the field. He definitely comes off as "knowing his stuff".

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really liked how Thacker answered in pressers. It just unfortunately hasn't translated to the field. He definitely comes off as "knowing his stuff".
I think my comment was more that he was less polished in front of the camera. To me, he came across as nervous being in front of the media. Like I said, it was just my impression. I could be totally off-base. Wouldn't be the first time.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
This is why I am leaning towards 8 wins this year. The next question is CGC really all that from a defensive perspective. and if he is, can he focus enough on the defense to apply his skills.

I think we will definitely see some significant improvement on Defense and I am expecting a huge improvement on offense from Long. (Plus a better offense makes the Defense better as well)
8 wins implies we're going to the ACC championship given our OOC schedule... I just don't see it. 5-6 means we're looking at a winning conference record.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
8 wins implies we're going to the ACC championship given our OOC schedule... I just don't see it. 5-6 means we're looking at a winning conference record.
I also included a bowl win in my estimate. But making it to the conference championship is not out of the question considering how bad the ACC is. Don't underestimate the total level of suck in the conference.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Last season I told my friend circles that our season would be defined by the Pitt game; I figured UNC and Pitt were the cream of the crop in the coastal. Once we beat UNC, Pitt was our yardstick (and we all know how that went).

My way to early assessment is that for W/L this year, our season is gonna be defined by that opening Clemson game. We measured up pretty well this past season and then fell apart; beating them early could be the key to getting momentum. Starting 2-0 going into Ole Miss and UCF could have us 3-1; starting 1-1 likely forces momentum to 1-3. Clemson is a pretty good measuring stick for the rest of the ACC too. If we can beat Clemson, we can beat everyone in the coastal. If we lose to Clemson, we’re in for another long season…

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If ever all the stars were aligned this would be the year. If the defense can get a couple extra stops a game, if the offense can score an extra touchdown each game, if we can cut down on mistakes and play calling confusion, then the Coastal is there for the taking. The team that wins the Coastal will be the team that doesn’t beat itself. Tech will actually have more stability than most of the other teams. All of you who have been predicting that Tech will suddenly put it all together, this is the year.