OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't be shocked if the new OC gets a two year contract just for this reason. It's probably gonna take a two year deal to get someone to take a stab at this mess with a coach on the hot seat.
That’s what I was thinking as well in order to secure a good OC with the HC being on the hot seat.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
For everyone suggesting that we bring in an OC and bring in someone else to coach the QBs, I don’t think the numbers work out very well for that. We’re only allowed a certain number of coaches on the staff. We fired 3: Patenaude, Burton, and Popovich. That means we can only add 3 to the staff.

If we assume that we won’t have a coach dedicated solely to special teams and that Thacker will coach linebackers, these are the openings we need to fill with 3 new people: offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, QB coach, Safeties coach, Cornerback coach.

That’s 5 jobs for 3 people. We can reduce that to 4 jobs for 3 people if we combine safeties and corners into one job (which we’ll call DBs).

If we want to hire both an OC and a separate QB coach, that’s 2 of our 3 spots used up. Here are the only ways I can imagine us making that work, and I don’t really like any of them:
-Collins doubles as Head Coach and DC, and we hire a new DBs coach
-Thacker moves to coaching the DBs, Larry Knight switches to LBs, Marco Coleman takes sole responsibility of the DL, and we hire a new DC
-We hire a new DC who also serves as the DBs coach

I think Collins was a good DC, but he doesn’t have the bandwidth to be adding to his responsibilities right now. I have to believe that if we were planning on giving anyone else the boot, we’d have already done so (though that doesn’t mean it won’t happen once we have new coordinators). But until we hear otherwise, we should probably assume that our new OC will also be coaching the QBs.
and Thacker does all of the public communication!

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
You have a checkbook. Start cutting checks. We are not a financial powerhouse. TT has 33k undergrads to our 16k. They are in a much better position than we are in a talent rich state every bit the equal to, if not better, than GA and without near as many factories in driving distance.
Maybe after TStan pays back the $10M that he wasted

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Don't be shocked if the new OC gets a two year contract just for this reason. It's probably gonna take a two year deal to get someone to take a stab at this mess with a coach on the hot seat.
That all makes sense, but the if CGC is fired after next season, you have to buyout the OC contract, too, unless you promote him to HC. May be a necessary evil, though.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins is going to be the DC, extra money can be used for OC.

Whether it is a good idea for Collins to be the DC is a debatable topic. My concern there is he seems to struggle with HC duties and now has to add DC duties to his list.

I said this earlier - guys like Lincoln Riley (QB coach, OC, HC, game day playcaller) are extreme exceptions and not the norm. If GC has simple clock management issues, do we really think saddling him with more responsibility is a good idea?

HC’s who calls plays on either the offensive or defensive side are rare … and the ones that do and are successful are genuinely out-of-this-world smart …

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
We should pay someone 50k to handle clock management. It’s not a difficult thing.
I'll come do it for free as long as I don't have to recruit. Okay, not me. But I bet we could get a volunteer "Graduate Assistant" whose only job was to focus on game management. If GCG doesn't want to give up the decisions then he should have some 'go-to' person on the side whose job it is to give him recommendations.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'll come do it for free as long as I don't have to recruit. Okay, not me. But I bet we could get a volunteer "Graduate Assistant" whose only job was to focus on game management. If GCG doesn't want to give up the decisions then he should have some 'go-to' person on the side whose job it is to give him recommendations.
It would have to be very definite like, “Coach we are going to try to pick up that yard on fourth down now given ball location and game situation and we are running a counter trap play and you have two seconds to change that to a punt if you don’t like it, starting now.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't make a fortune either, but I give what I can every year. If everyone on here gave somewhere between $100-1000 a year, we'd be a lot better off. It's how Clemson built their war chest over the years.
You mean if all five of us on here gave it would make a difference?!!!? Takes less than I thought 😊