OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I really am hoping this plays out at this point as Collins takes over the D, Thacker moves to LB's, we make a hire to a good DB's coach to handle the entire secondary. We save money on the D side but perhaps improve the coaching. This also maybe makes Collins focus more on coaching and less on the rah rah crap.

We spend some actual money on a proven OC. I am not enamored with Long but his ND Offenses were the best of the Kelly era there. I am not sure what he had to work with at Tulane.
I think Geoff takes the DC duties to save money to make the OC hire. If he does, someone may need to take over special teams and focus on game management. I think one good coach could be a secondary coach if Geoff focuses on the defense and helps with DBs. In that case, Geoff is going all in on his DC background to save his job at Tech.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think Geoff takes the DC duties to save money to make the OC hire. If he does, someone may need to take over special teams and focus on game management. I think one good coach could be a secondary coach if Geoff focuses on the defense and helps with DBs. In that case, Geoff is going all in on his DC background to save his job at Tech.
It would be great if an assistant took over game management. He couldn't do a worse job than Geoff. I imagine Assistant HC Brent Key, maybe?
It would be weird, like Geoff was HC in name only. Fine with me.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am told that Steele's philosophy changed to conform in recent years, but he is the guy Swinney fired at Clemson because he opposed the up tempo offense, said it wore out his defense, But Swinney was the head ball coach and made it pay off.

Steele was fired because West Virginia hung 70 points on them in the Orange Bowl.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Steele was fired because West Virginia hung 70 points on them in the Orange Bowl.
Back in late 90s iirc When he head coached at baylor i was at a game where it was 45 to 3 with 6 minutes remaining in 2nd.
He would not adjust.

We beat him twice, but he was coaching against Coach.

Some how he surfaces again and again

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That decision had been made by then. Didn't help him that he also was a big office politicer. Steele landed a couple of places with little success before a light came on, he adapted to a quicker pace, and has had a nice career since.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is a problem for me.

You have a checkbook. Start cutting checks. We are not a financial powerhouse. TT has 33k undergrads to our 16k. They are in a much better position than we are in a talent rich state every bit the equal to, if not better, than GA and without near as many factories in driving distance.

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
You have a checkbook. Start cutting checks. We are not a financial powerhouse. TT has 33k undergrads to our 16k. They are in a much better position than we are in a talent rich state every bit the equal to, if not better, than GA and without near as many factories in driving distance.
My Atlanta Fire department salary prolly wouldn’t help the athletic department that much

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
They all get prettier at closing time.
Just kidding - i have not researched the "group of coaches willing to come here with our $ limit and program stability . Will play off what u say

From his days coaching in East Texas my son knows the UTSA coaches. Their head coach dominated 3a/4a . He won games by training up and out game day coaching .
He has taken utsa to great season using same method. Just beat kinckly / western kentucky even though WK had 577 yds passing . Jeff Traylor used strong run game and Smart defense to hold WK back.
Guy to watch if we are still broke hiring next year.
Kent state OC Andrew Solder. Has put up good numbers scoring and passing the last 3 seasons. I think he is worth a look.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
would be nice to make a splashy hire, but I just want to be over .500 again and not embarrassed by onfield performance and sideline antics

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps no announcement cause a coach is still coaching this weekend. Would that make sense? Or is it because we don’t know what we want. And when we do. We get rejected?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
would be nice to make a splashy hire, but I just want to be over .500 again and not embarrassed by onfield performance and sideline antics
I hear you. I don’t give a rats behind about splash. I want football coaches who know their job and hold everyone in the program accountable. We’ve seen three years of giving everyone a pat on the back and look at what its brought. We can get the splash in a year from now.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nobody good wants to be a one-year Band-Aid.We will be lucky to get three wins next year.

Trust me, if the money is right they’ll come!! These coaches go from job to job all because they in it to win but mostly they in it for the money!!

Don't be shocked if the new OC gets a two year contract just for this reason. It's probably gonna take a two year deal to get someone to take a stab at this mess with a coach on the hot seat.