OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not in the fire 'im crowd, but I have to think if money were no object we'd have hired a different HC in the first place.

So in acknowledging money is a 'thing' in our coordinator hunt, one must also come to the realization that, for better or worse, we need to root like heyul for CGC to succeed (in spite of himself).
If he were to start winning, beat some rivals and go to a bowl game I guarantee 90% of fans would forgive everything that has happened so far.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For everyone suggesting that we bring in an OC and bring in someone else to coach the QBs, I don’t think the numbers work out very well for that. We’re only allowed a certain number of coaches on the staff. We fired 3: Patenaude, Burton, and Popovich. That means we can only add 3 to the staff.

If we assume that we won’t have a coach dedicated solely to special teams and that Thacker will coach linebackers, these are the openings we need to fill with 3 new people: offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, QB coach, Safeties coach, Cornerback coach.

That’s 5 jobs for 3 people. We can reduce that to 4 jobs for 3 people if we combine safeties and corners into one job (which we’ll call DBs).

If we want to hire both an OC and a separate QB coach, that’s 2 of our 3 spots used up. Here are the only ways I can imagine us making that work, and I don’t really like any of them:
-Collins doubles as Head Coach and DC, and we hire a new DBs coach
-Thacker moves to coaching the DBs, Larry Knight switches to LBs, Marco Coleman takes sole responsibility of the DL, and we hire a new DC
-We hire a new DC who also serves as the DBs coach

I think Collins was a good DC, but he doesn’t have the bandwidth to be adding to his responsibilities right now. I have to believe that if we were planning on giving anyone else the boot, we’d have already done so (though that doesn’t mean it won’t happen once we have new coordinators). But until we hear otherwise, we should probably assume that our new OC will also be coaching the QBs.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to open this thread for reporting on and discussion of CONFIRMED interviews only.

Other threads discuss possible candidates; this thread is for conversation about ACTUAL candidates only.

Of course, everything may be kept under wraps until the announcement, but who knows? FACTS may leak out hear there. So, if you have it on good authority that someone was interviewed, please share it.

I look forward to reading what others may post.
did I miss the firing of the OC?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If he were to start winning, beat some rivals and go to a bowl game I guarantee 90% of fans would forgive everything that has happened so far.

"Forgive"? Shiiiiiiiii, half these dudes would be naming their first born "MoneyDown" if half that happened.

The fact that Pastner is revered by most of the fanbase now is evidence that what you've said is 100% truth.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Does anyone on this board have any clue what is actually going 🤔 on?

Somewhat. There have been at least two interviews so far for OC. There is likely to be at least one more, but my source has not divulged a name. CGC and CBK are leaning towards Chip Long atm. We could know as soon as this afternoon, but most likely later this weekend/early next week. The other two coaching spots are in stasis until we get a new OC in place and determine needs. ATM, Thacker is still DC with a LOT of oversight from CGC. Not sure that's permanent though as my source will not comment further on it.

slugboy

Staff member
Isn't the "air raid " offense where the QB plays deep takes the direct snap and tries to hit a WR with a quick slant or hook? Lots of misses and third & 4. Boring.
On the plus side, they don’t run the ball up the middle on 3rd and 2 as often as most offenses.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Somewhat. There have been at least two interviews so far for OC. There is likely to be at least one more, but my source has not divulged a name. CGC and CBK are leaning towards Chip Long atm. We could know as soon as this afternoon, but most likely later this weekend/early next week. The other two coaching spots are in stasis until we get a new OC in place and determine needs. ATM, Thacker is still DC with a LOT of oversight from CGC. Not sure that's permanent though as my source will not comment further on it.
AJ, thanks so much for passing these nuggets along. The fact that little is leaking out and your source is keeping cards close to the vest gives me hope that GTAA is doing this right.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

God, I hope this is false! I have zero faith in either of them. We need the highest quality assistants. The opposite has been proven to be true at this point from the defensive side. 111 rated defense in the country. So Sad and CGC waited 3 years to help out if he thinks he actually can help?!? He should have recognized the issue and helped right away if he could have helped This will almost guarantee to bee the last nail in CGC's career as a head coach. CGC needs to be more of a ceremonial / recruiting / Culture type head coach.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for the information.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you for the information.
These decisions should have made and done before the season ended. Coaches should have in place 3 or 4 after the final game. Everyone in college football world knew they were coming. I don’t understand why ? 8 other teams we’re firing coaches before the season