OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Getting Godsey would be amazing, but im not sure why he would want to come here. It doesn't seem to really benefit his career at all.

Some guys are just more cut out for the college game than the NFL or the other way around. It's possible after his experience in the NFL he wants to see if the college game doesn't fit him better.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Some guys are just more cut out for the college game than the NFL or the other way around. It's possible after his experience in the NFL he wants to see if the college game doesn't fit him better.
This seems feasible, although doing that after 10 years in the pros is a little strange. Im guessing he has had multiple offers over the years to move down if he really wanted to. Moving down while the co offensive coordinator of an NFL team, after being away from the college game for 10 years, to go to a team whose coach probably won't survive the next season is an awfully risky career move.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
This seems feasible, although doing that after 10 years in the pros is a little strange. Im guessing he has had multiple offers over the years to move down if he really wanted to. Moving down while the co offensive coordinator of an NFL team, after being away from the college game for 10 years, to go to a team whose coach probably won't survive the next season is an awfully risky career move.
Not if there are assurances he will be tapped if the HC isn’t retained

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Not if there are assurances he will be tapped if the HC isn’t retained
Exactly. If Godsey show’s promise as OC but Collins continues to lose games i can just about promise you that Godsey would get an interim Head Coaching tryout, possibly as soon as early next season.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Godsey would not be a great hire. Dolphins fans are cheering the news and begging for him to go. Read the replies to this tweet. He has been a terrible playcaller from day 1, and the team looks terrible. As a Dolphins fan I welcome him leaving, but as a Tech fan I feel we are ready for more of the same as P-nut.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Being glass half-full on Godsey and the OC situation...
He's from the GOL and Belichick coaching trees. IIRC, Belichick prevented him from going to penn state with BOB...meaning he was valuable to the pats. NFL OCs don't get second chances if they're not approved by the rest of the coaching fraternity and to some extent the players. I think this could work. Likely to be better than PNode. I think he'd work very well with Key and CTC.

This also smacks of a bit of a TStan power play. Godsey isn't going to come here for peanuts either...probably looking at $1MM/yr for his services.
In my mind a huge positive is Godsey’s experience from all his different NFL coaching stops. This easily makes him the most knowledgable and experienced coach on our staff day 1. Guaranteed he knows how to teach his offense, run a practice, develop a gameplan, and make adjustments in-game. The fact that he was a very successful and cerebral college QB should be a positive as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This kind of hire attracts good offensive players especially QB's and they know he has NFL contacts. This would be huge in my opinion.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am not sure how I feel about Godsey being our OC. He was a tremendous QB for us, and has obviously been successful enough as a coach to continue to find employment in the NFL. He has not been overly successful as OC, but some of that has been the coaches and the teams he has been with. His NFL connections could be a plus, but we said the same when we hired Gailey. I won't say it's a bad hire, but it's not the homerun hire I was hoping for either.

Just my $.02

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure how I feel about Godsey being our OC. He was a tremendous QB for us, and has obviously been successful enough as a coach to continue to find employment in the NFL. He has not been overly successful as OC, but some of that has been the coaches and the teams he has been with. His NFL connections could be a plus, but we said the same when we hired Gailey. I won't say it's a bad hire, but it's not the homerun hire I was hoping for either.

Just my $.02
Whoever we get will be an upgrade

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Just my $.02
I’m not sure given our present situation that a homerun hire was possible...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Guys think for a minute

Do you really think CGC wants Godsey

Or do you think the Stansbury had someone talk to him and after that he make the offer to Godsey and will be the next Head Coach in waiting.

Past History Homer Rice hires B** L**** and Kim King goes in to talk to Rice after that Geroge O'Leary is our DC and next Head Coach .

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
NFL playcalling is very different from college. There's no telling what kind of offense he would run. I just hope whoever it is they can scheme into letting the players make plays. Pnaude felt like we ran things to just run them. Wishing for the best but expecting the worst.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Guys think for a minute

Do you really think CGC wants Godsey

Or do you think the Stansbury had someone talk to him and after that he make the offer to Godsey and will be the next Head Coach in waiting.

Past History Homer Rice hires B** L**** and Kim King goes in to talk to Rice after that Geroge O'Leary is our DC and next Head Coach .

I don't know that Godsey as HC is any better than Godsey as OC.

Jmonty71

Banned

Just my $.02
I am pretty much on the same page. I mean, he could be the right guy, at the right time. However; I guess I was looking for someone that could bring a high energy type offense, that scares the other team. Does Godsey bring that?? I can't say that to be a fact. But, it has to be an upgrade, I would think. At least, if anything, he will (should) give a damn, about the program. If he can teach our QBs how to read defenses and how to use their talents better, I am all for it!!!