OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
You could probably do worse. Would imagine Florida would technically be paying his salary. With Choice and Key on the offensive side we could likely manage the recruiting situation.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Would Mullen be an assistant for a former assistant who left his program? If Mullen takes the OC job, does he forfeit buyout money from Florida?
Not sure how that it works, but fairly certain Groh subtracted his coordinator pay from Virginia's buyout.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Would Mullen be an assistant for a former assistant who left his program? If Mullen takes the OC job, does he forfeit buyout money from Florida?

There's probably offset language. UF would just have to make up the difference in what he was supposed to make and what he would make here.

That said, I'd be shocked if Mullen came here just to be OC.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
I would take Mullen as OC and Muschamp as DC, but neither as HC, lol. Collins would have to take a pay cut to make either of these happen, though

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd take Mullen in a heartbeat. I'd even make him the (other) assistant HC. I'd talk about coach in waiting stuff, but no way I'd put it on paper.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Its been stated before that Mullen and Collins merely coexisted together rather than get along very well. Mullen is a really good offensive mind but he Collins would definitively have to work on their relationship before working together again

sweeper

Georgia Tech Fan
Hire DM as OC for 2 yrs and tell him the head coaching job is his if the offense shows substantial improvement and GC is processed. Tell GC he can stay on as HC if he rights the ship (unlikely) but would be retained as branding director and head of recruiting if the program doesn’t improve.

You might get a smooth transition and actually put people in a position to succeed by placing them in roles where they are best suited.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The more realistic scenario is if Mullen were willing to come here, it would be as HC. You know that money Stansbury said we have to buy out CGC right now? Well, hiring Mullen is one of the scenarios where Stansbury puts that money to use.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
Hire DM as OC for 2 yrs and tell him the head coaching job is his if the offense shows substantial improvement and GC is processed. Tell GC he can stay on as HC if he rights the ship (unlikely) but would be retained as branding director and head of recruiting if the program doesn’t improve.

You might get a smooth transition and actually put people in a position to succeed by placing them in roles where they are best suited.
The question is whether Collins is too stuck up to drop to DC and brand manager in a few years if we're still willing to offer him $1M/year to balance both. If his record continues he's likely going back to DC at a P5 school or HC at a G5 school anyway, so this would be a pretty good test to see how committed he really is to GT. Doubt he'd take it though.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
The more realistic scenario is if Mullen were willing to come here, it would be as HC. You know that money Stansbury said we have to buy out CGC right now? Well, hiring Mullen is one of the scenarios where Stansbury puts that money to use.
If we're gonna hire a """failed""" HC, I'd prefer to take someone like Malzahn over Mullen if its not a coordinator replacement

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The question is whether Collins is too stuck up to drop to DC and brand manager in a few years if we're still willing to offer him $1M/year to balance both. If his record continues he's likely going back to DC at a P5 school or HC at a G5 school anyway, so this would be a pretty good test to see how committed he really is to GT. Doubt he'd take it though.

Would you do it at your job?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we're gonna hire a """failed""" HC, I'd prefer to take someone like Malzahn over Mullen if its not a coordinator replacement

Malzahn has the #67 ranked Offense at UCF according to OFEI. Last season, UCF had the #12 OFEI offense under Heupal. In Malzahn's last season at Auburn, his OFEI was #48. The year before that it was #33.

I posted in another thread Mullen's OFEI the last 3 years. Malzahn is not on the same level as Mullen.

EDIT: Let me also add that either would be an improvement over CGC.

Last edited:

JacketJet

Georgia Tech Fan
Collins could throw Mullen a lifeline and bring him in as OC. Or Stansbury could hire him as HC-in-waiting a la Homer bringing in O'Leary.
And what about Gary Patterson for DC? Two former HCs who could mentor CGC. And NO to that Dwag Muschamp!

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
He won’t come here as an OC. If you want him, you have to fire GC and bring him in as HC. Or we could restructure Collins to a 10 year deal with the buyout amount spread and he can be our recruiting coordinator/director of player development. He gets to save face and we get something for all that money.