OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
name a high quality assistant that would come to GT to work for Collins when everyone on the planet knows next year is a lame duck year for both the HC And AD

I can't think of one. This reminds me of John Bond's year under Gailey....

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
Jim Knowles for DC.
He is currently making 800k at Oklahoma State. Offer him 1.2m and get a real DC in here.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
name a high quality assistant that would come to GT to work for Collins when everyone on the planet knows next year is a lame duck year for both the HC And AD

I can't think of one. This reminds me of John Bond's year under Gailey....
The only way it works is that person understands they are basically the coach in waiting, and we will have to pay handsomely.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
This will be an interesting 24-48 hour turnaround. Who stays and who goes DC or OC or both and others? How fast are they replaced and how throughly are the prospects vetted other than “highly recommended”. If GCG screws this up then he’s done for sure after next season. It’s too risky not to change but it creates a steep learning curve on both sides of the ball at a critical juncture in Collins contract. All the while Stansbury is fielding hostile calls/conversations about GT Football. The AJC headlines and media in general has been brutal. Is ironic due to how much time/extra effort Collins puts into the PR side of his job and the press just lays it out there honestly yet brutally. Can only imagine what the coaches home life has been and what they’re conversations are or will be. If fired Coach P and Thacker may not be able to find work or will have to take a much lesser role at a smaller school. Thacker is young but needs more grooming. Coach P has some years on him so maybe he will ride off into the sunset.
I also wonder if Collins and Stansbury have been working/talking a short list of candidates since the UNC game. I hope that it’s a viable and well vetted plan. Not a knee jerk reaction to “well that’s who is available” because it could prove to be lethal to next season and beyond.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I’d be careful looking at “total defense” or “scoring defense” numbers for DC’s, or the offensive equivalents for OCs. There are so many hidden factors that can make you look better than you are. As fans, we can look at multiple years of FEI or SP+ or other weighted stats.
Anyone making a hire should be looking at film, both for scheme and technique. Stats for the broader picture, film to go deep and be sure.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So in our fan base I have seen a lot of the fans asking what to do with the coaching staff.

I have been behind Collins this whole time. I was a big believer in Andrew Thacker. I have never liked Dave Patenaude and thought he was a really bad hire for the program (my opinion on Patenaude).

So thinking in the future and my opinion of what will happen after the uga game. I think Thacker and Patenaude are both gone. Just mine opinion but something has to change. On the defensive side of the ball. Coordinators that I would be okay with bringing to the flat. We are not going to bring a DC from other power 5 schools meaning your not getting Venables. Now if they are the Co-DC at a power 5 school then that's a different story. So this name was mentioned yesterday. Nate Woody, when he was here at tech for the one year. Our defense was in the top half of FBS schools. Except for points allowed I believe. Other coordinators are: Chad Staggs DC at CCU, Charlie Strong Assistant head coach & inside linebackers coach at Jacksonville *not likely but a name to throw out*, Charles Kelly associate defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Alabama. Kelly replace AL Grove at Tech in 2012 for a half season. Under him our defense was pretty good. Lastly, Jon Tenuta defensive analyst at Virginia Tech. When Tenuta was the DC on the flats our defense ranked in the top 25 in most categories. These are just name that's pops up first.

Moving on to the offensive side of the ball. Now I was reading an article yesterday from back when Collins was hired. Some of the fan base wanted to see Patrick Nix back as the OC. This would be a cheaper hire since he is the head coach of Centeral HS in Phenix City Alabama. Willy Korn Co-OC at CCU, Zach Kittley OC at Huston Baptist, Brent Key, Tashard Choice, Ian Shoemaker OC at Eastern Washington. These a few names that come to mind as replacements.

Now everyone will have different opinions and might question why to some of the names. At the end of the day if Collins replaces both DC and OC. I hope he does! Any of these names listed I would be perfectly fine with.

GO JACKETS!
At this point i dont even care who they hire, i only care who the fire and that is this HC

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As long as CGC is here it doesn't matter who you hire he is go to put his 2 cents in and screw things up like he has the last 3 years. So yes CGC is the problem so now our biggest problem is our AD who won't say I messed up. Now have to wait another year. We just have a big mess.

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
Check out Buster Faulkner for OC. Current quality control assistant for UGA but has been OC for several programs. Local guy, ( Parkview and Valdosta State), still young and hungry. Very successful in smaller programs and now 2 years under Monken at UGA. Won state championship at Parkview and National championship at VSU.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This will be an interesting 24-48 hour turnaround. Who stays and who goes DC or OC or both and others? How fast are they replaced and how throughly are the prospects vetted other than “highly recommended”. If GCG screws this up then he’s done for sure after next season. It’s too risky not to change but it creates a steep learning curve on both sides of the ball at a critical juncture in Collins contract. All the while Stansbury is fielding hostile calls/conversations about GT Football. The AJC headlines and media in general has been brutal. Is ironic due to how much time/extra effort Collins puts into the PR side of his job and the press just lays it out there honestly yet brutally. Can only imagine what the coaches home life has been and what they’re conversations are or will be. If fired Coach P and Thacker may not be able to find work or will have to take a much lesser role at a smaller school. Thacker is young but needs more grooming. Coach P has some years on him so maybe he will ride off into the sunset.
I also wonder if Collins and Stansbury have been working/talking a short list of candidates since the UNC game. I hope that it’s a viable and well vetted plan. Not a knee jerk reaction to “well that’s who is available” because it could prove to be lethal to next season and beyond.

Thacker and Patenaude are both well paid and ought to be smart enough to stash some of the money away. If they aren't, that's on them - they chose a very unstable profession.

As far as local media goes, Collins does it exactly wrong. He gives them time, but doesn't offer them anything meaningful to talk about (player development, X's and O's, nothing). Instead, he talks about the biggest transition ever since the switch to the metric system and other crap that has no legs. ATL, excellence, at a high level, etc. are just fodder for abuse unless you're winning.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
Just to toss some names out
OC
Zach Kittley - WKU OC
Willy Korn - CCU OC
Andrew Sowder - Kent St. OC
Frank Ponce - App St. OC

DC
Brandon Hall - Troy DC
Chad Staggs - CCU DC
Scottie Hazelton - Wyoming DC
Doug Belk - Houston DC

Out of this. I really like the Doug Belk (DC) and Willy Korn (OC) combo.

This is what the search should look like, G5 guys who are starting to have success and looking for a bigger opportunity with more resources. Allow them to bring some of their guys in as well so we have disciples to plug and play once our DC eventually takes a bigger job.

It’s truly laughable to see some of the coaching names tossed out on this site…Patrick Nix, John Tenuta, Charles Kelly, Ken Whisenhunt? Why does this fan base always want some middling, washed up coach to come back to Tech? Go for new blood.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The good news is both new Coordinators can run any system they want without any transition because we haven’t had one in 3 years.

This is true. There is little rhyme or reason to what we're doing, at least on offense. We just run plays. The good OC's find something the team is competent at, run that enough to establish a trend, then run other plays off of the same looks to throw a change-up. Alternately, they run the successful plays out of multiple formations, but with the same net effect.

We're (seemingly) throwing spaghetti against the wall and hoping some of it sticks.