OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
At the moment, none. Geoff is a damaged brand. I can't see any coordinator worth his salt climbing on the GT bandwagon until we have stabilized the program at much higher level.
The only reason I agree with this is because our defense is still so bad. I'll buy into the "4-5 year transition" on the offensive side of things, but defense should've started to turn the corner by now given Collins' background as a defensive coach. I still think Collins has two years left at min though, so I don't think theres zero hope of getting someone better than we currently have.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
listened to a ND post game show, the hosts said that our OL is not of ACC caliber.
He would be correct, we have not had an ACC caliber Oline in over 10 years. 2019 was a bust with Oline recruiting, and will take another 3 years to recover and grow. We still cannot impose our will at the line of scrimmage and open running lanes. Still our greatest weakness at this moment is our back 7 and lack of pass rush up front. We have many holes to fill coming up next season. Our recruiting has improved, but without high 4&5 star players, we are stuck growing our lines for several years until they can make a substantial impact

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He would be correct, we have not had an ACC caliber Oline in over 10 years. 2019 was a bust with Oline recruiting, and will take another 3 years to recover and grow. We still cannot impose our will at the line of scrimmage and open running lanes. Still our greatest weakness at this moment is our back 7 and lack of pass rush up front. We have many holes to fill coming up next season. Our recruiting has improved, but without high 4&5 star players, we are stuck growing our lines for several years until they can make a substantial impact
That’s one thing I blame this staff for. I would have gotten 4-5 OL in 2019 from somewhere. JC, HS, transfers, programs that fired their coaches, under a rock, Europe, or anywhere else.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The "big money guys" seem to be ****ing up everything they touch.

Our "big money guys" are for the most part old. They want GT to have the success they remembered when they were younger. So they associate success with guys who coached under a successful coach at GT. It's why O'Leary and Ross are still revered at GT. Both coaches have very good success here, and O'Leary was at GT during two very good tenures, Ross's and his own. That's why CGC was allowed to cut in line our last coaching search. Trying to recreate a nostalgic period usually ends badly.

This isn't just a GT thing. It happens at every school. Michigan forever wanted a Bo Schembechler guy. 'Bama forever wanted a Bear Bryant guy. UNC is still trying to keep it Dean Smith's guys. Heck, a lot of people here want to keep with it within the CPJ tree. Sometimes it's nice to breath fresh air into a program.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I still say todd hailey. I really don't see why we can't get him as OC from atlanta and has proven that he can put up big offenses in the nfl now he is just a HS head coach.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I get that we all want Steve Spurrier as our OC or Venables as our DC. Those type of guys aren’t coming here. But there are tons of up and comers who would kill to get a P5 gig. Where we are today with these current coordinators I’d take anyone right now. 3 years of watching nothing change is enough. We may only win 3 games next year but can we at least try something else?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I get that we all want Steve Spurrier as our OC or Venables as our DC. Those type of guys aren’t coming here. But there are tons of up and comers who would kill to get a P5 gig. Where we are today with these current coordinators I’d take anyone right now. 3 years of watching nothing change is enough. We may only win 3 games next year but can we at least try something else?
You know..... what if qwe did something completely different. Geoff is a good enough recruiter does our OC even have to recruit, or our DC? WHat if we floated to the x's and os guys that their job was football and only football. I wonder if we could in fact get one of these guys out of retirement.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Our "big money guys" are for the most part old. They want GT to have the success they remembered when they were younger. So they associate success with guys who coached under a successful coach at GT. It's why O'Leary and Ross are still revered at GT. Both coaches have very good success here, and O'Leary was at GT during two very good tenures, Ross's and his own. That's why CGC was allowed to cut in line our last coaching search. Trying to recreate a nostalgic period usually ends badly.

This isn't just a GT thing. It happens at every school. Michigan forever wanted a Bo Schembechler guy. 'Bama forever wanted a Bear Bryant guy. UNC is still trying to keep it Dean Smith's guys. Heck, a lot of people here want to keep with it within the CPJ tree. Sometimes it's nice to breath fresh air into a program.
Collins is fresh air to GT FB?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

That makes sense and explains a lot.

Georgia Tech Fan
Glenn Spencer would be better than what we have at DC. He may not be the best out there but he would be an improvement. 7 or 8 years as a P5 DC and about 20 as a div 1 DC. Of course he is a Tech guy but that should not disqualify him any more than it should elevate him. He has had a mixed career as dc, some good work and some not as good,but I dont think theres any question he would be an improvement. He was a heckava player for Tech. I believe he was nominated for Broyles award one of the years he was at Ok State. I may be wrong about that-not sure.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Offensive Coordinator: Zach Kittley from Western Kentucky (#3 offense in college football this year)
Defensive Coordinator: David Reeves from UAB (top 10 total defense nationally in 2018, 2019, and 2020)

Here's the lists we want to pull from:

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's the lists we want to pull from:

So Kittley is #18 on that list (Georgia Tech is #78)

And Reeves is #73 (Georgia Tech is #109)

Looks good to me. Of course, Kittley would bring the Air Raid with him. Georgia Tech would start throwing for about 450 a game. It's a talent equalizer, similar to the option. As proven by Mike Leach.