OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

72RAMBLER

Georgia Tech Fan
An outside the box with some risk. George Godsey QB and OC. He has experience mostly in the NFL (some college) under some good coaches. He has bounced around, many coaches do (look at Saban he did the same in his early career). Godsey was a success at GT as a player not because of raw talent but "football smarts". He has been coaching a while now and is co OC at Miami Dolphins now.
YES!!! Bring back the Goose! He knows what Tech is all about; he was successful as a player and a student; I.e. he is a pretty smart guy. And he had guts! I had no idea he was still active in football, much less an OC (co) in the NFL. Best idea I have seen on this blog.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
YES!!! Bring back the Goose! He knows what Tech is all about; he was successful as a player and a student; I.e. he is a pretty smart guy. And he had guts! I had no idea he was still active in football, much less an OC (co) in the NFL. Best idea I have seen on this blog.

No college experience and supposedly hates the idea of recruiting. NFL guy through and through.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Or…. Hear me out, instead of replacing the OC and DC and most of the assistants, we just eat the 3 million and start from scratch. If we are firing him next year, we can get it out ahead of it for 13 million now instead of 10 then, and start the second biggest rebuild in history

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
There are always coordinators and coaches being fired in the NFL every season. Maybe even a HC in waiting after a few weeks. Black Monday after the season. I would call someone like Belliceck to get their opinion.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So in our fan base I have seen a lot of the fans asking what to do with the coaching staff.

I have been behind Collins this whole time. I was a big believer in Andrew Thacker. I have never liked Dave Patenaude and thought he was a really bad hire for the program (my opinion on Patenaude).

So thinking in the future and my opinion of what will happen after the uga game. I think Thacker and Patenaude are both gone. Just mine opinion but something has to change. On the defensive side of the ball. Coordinators that I would be okay with bringing to the flat. We are not going to bring a DC from other power 5 schools meaning your not getting Venables. Now if they are the Co-DC at a power 5 school then that's a different story. So this name was mentioned yesterday. Nate Woody, when he was here at tech for the one year. Our defense was in the top half of FBS schools. Except for points allowed I believe. Other coordinators are: Chad Staggs DC at CCU, Charlie Strong Assistant head coach & inside linebackers coach at Jacksonville *not likely but a name to throw out*, Charles Kelly associate defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Alabama. Kelly replace AL Grove at Tech in 2012 for a half season. Under him our defense was pretty good. Lastly, Jon Tenuta defensive analyst at Virginia Tech. When Tenuta was the DC on the flats our defense ranked in the top 25 in most categories. These are just name that's pops up first.

Moving on to the offensive side of the ball. Now I was reading an article yesterday from back when Collins was hired. Some of the fan base wanted to see Patrick Nix back as the OC. This would be a cheaper hire since he is the head coach of Centeral HS in Phenix City Alabama. Willy Korn Co-OC at CCU, Zach Kittley OC at Huston Baptist, Brent Key, Tashard Choice, Ian Shoemaker OC at Eastern Washington. These a few names that come to mind as replacements.

Now everyone will have different opinions and might question why to some of the names. At the end of the day if Collins replaces both DC and OC. I hope he does! Any of these names listed I would be perfectly fine with.

GO JACKETS!
Replace them, or Collins, with Homer Rice's statue.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
The sad thing is after this season we will wait 10 months for a another football season and be so excited for another year to watch the jackets then by the end of September when we 1 and 3 we be wishing the season be over with again. And yes I truly believe that Thacker Coleman burton and popivich(or whatever his name is all I know he’s bad also) will be gone after the season but who going to replace them is the question.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The sad thing is after this season we will wait 10 months for a another football season and be so excited for another year to watch the jackets then by the end of September when we 1 and 3 we be wishing the season be over with again. And yes I truly believe that Thacker Coleman burton and popivich(or whatever his name is all I know he’s bad also) will be gone after the season but who going to replace them is the question.

Coleman will be here. He's one of the best recruiters on this staff, and he's been a pretty good DE coach even though our DEs haven't had the impact we hoped for in the recent games.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like Coleman, but whoever comes in as our next DC should get to choose his assistants and run the def in practice and call the plays 100% the way he wants to.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Jake Moreland Western Michigan OC

He runs a spread offense that has an RPO based and looks an awful lot like what we want to do with Coach P. However he seems to have a bit more control over it.
He's currentlty the OC and tight ends coach at WMU.

Former NFL player in 2000 and 2001 for 2 teams coached at syracuse and airforce before getting the OC role at WMU after coaching TIghtends for a season he's been their OC since 2018

Scott Symons Liberty.

He was a coach at West Georgia and Memphis and seems to know how to do more with less. He's a young guy and up and coming not a retread

Currently Liberty has the 10th rated defense overall and stays tough with teams far above their wegiht class, Could be a splash hire can't be any worse.

Here is him holding Kiffen to 27 points

Liberty seems to run a verison fo a 4-2-5

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Adding because the other post would probably be to long with the inbeds. The reason I chose these two is they are at lower level schools (that we wouldn't be poaching from other p5) Probably would get an upgrade in pay and woudl see us as a potential stepping stone to bigger things which means they won't be complacent. Neither have tech ties though Symons does have ties to western Georgia.

You really don't want your coordinators seeing this as a destination job. to stay cooardinator you want them building. Atleast when they are young. Maybe later we can have a bud foster type thing.

Actually scratch moreland lol He's currently a jets assistant. Eric Evans was the name I wanted.

Evan's is currenlty their QB coach and PLaycaller.

nyto

Georgia Tech Fan
Hypothetically if Dan Mullen is fired... Do you think he'd have any interest in running our offense for 2 or 3 years?

He has an existing relationship with Geoff Collins going back to MSST days. Geoff could promise him full autonomy. (Obviously GT would have to pony up for a serious offensive coordinator, but perhaps that is something we could manage with the UF buyout being $12,000,000.)

We do have some promising young QB, WR, TE, RBs... OL is basically a full rebuild. Could rehab his image with a GT turnaround sooner than going to HC a smaller school.

For the record, I don't think he gets fired at UF.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hypothetically if Dan Mullen is fired... Do you think he'd have any interest in running our offense for 2 or 3 years?

He has an existing relationship with Geoff Collins going back to MSST days. Geoff could promise him full autonomy. (Obviously GT would have to pony up for a serious offensive coordinator, but perhaps that is something we could manage with the UF buyout being $12,000,000.)

We do have some promising young QB, WR, TE, RBs... OL is basically a full rebuild. Could rehab his image with a GT turnaround sooner than going to HC a smaller school.

IF money is spent, I want it to go to the opposite side of the ball myself.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck

This is a thought I have been having. Why not try and bring in some fired head coaches that made their name as either an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator. They are already getting a payday from their previous school and could potentially help CGC with some of the Head Coaching issues he is deficient in.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Brides as OC and someone similar as DC. They can adjust on the fly and lay out a real game plan.

The man can coach, but no, no, no to Briles. We'll be on probation in 2 years flat. Maybe if three if we get rid of all the girls on campus and go back to male-only.

The apple don't fall far from the tree, either.

Not sure if we could get him, but I'd make a serious run at Bill Bedenbaugh at OU. He played OL for and coached with Mike Leach and is the current OL and co-OC for Lincoln Riley. He's produced an All Big-12 OL every year and the 2018 OL won the best unit award. I guess it'd be a step down for him ... (but not if we nabbed him as HC?)