OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You guys do understand that if CDP is let go the next OC will be Key or Key will be gone too. Right? I know there are those on here that would be happy with that, but I'm not one of them. I also don't think Pattenaude will be forced out. I do think that Thacker's days are getting short bar a sudden turn-around by this defense.

Corey Dennis is not going to get the OC position over what we already have here. Not going to happen. Nix? That's a huge joke. God save us from that debacle.

Defense: Tenuta's at VT now, I think. He's 64 years old, so do you really see him buying into what Collins is selling? Could be, but I don't think he'd go down that road again. Other names? No one knows, but any DC that came in wouldn't be hiring and firing his own assistants, so who would be implementing his defensive scheme? Tenuta's brand of football was exciting. Boom or Bust, never in between. You want to attract recruits, Tenuta's defense would do that. Full-on attack mode. DB's left on an island. Dink and dunk killed us.
Yeah I agree, one sacrificial lamb per season probably helps Collins squeek out two more bad seasons if things continue apace. With better defense we aren’t having this discussion so I too think that Pnode is safe, i do wish he would hire a QB coach to really work with Sims on footwork, mechanics etc.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
TC is not ready to be a HC and I am one of his biggest supporters. Would need to prove he could be a OC first. I would prefer we get a former QB that has a few years coaching - preferably as a OC or at least a QB coach. The game has become all about offense with today's rules and the way it is officiated.

Godsey? That'd be a pretty good hire.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we need to become the new money guys and boot out the old ones. Get things done our way. Get who WE want. But we may have to cut back on our internet surfacing and message board coaching. Are we willing to pay THAT price my friend? ;)
But what fun is there in that? Wouldn't you rather spend your time and energy on a message board complaining about how things are done than actually doing something to effect change and fix them? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But what fun is there in that? Wouldn't you rather spend your time and energy on a message board complaining about how things are done than actually doing something to effect change and fix them? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well, since I don't have the dough, I'll just stay where I'm at, thank you.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Several years ago I would really be critical of our athletic programs with guys at work (I live in ACC la la land). I made up my mind I would not be critical unless I had donated to the AA. I have since been a long time donor and feel I can be critical of things I feel need to change. It helps me vent some of the frustration. I do not criticize the players as they are trying to perform and sometimes effort just isn't good enough. The coaches are paid. They are fair game and are well compensated. Probably more than most on this board.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UNC Fans would probably be willing to spend just about any money to off load Bateman, they intensely dislike him. Say he hasn't stopped a dual threat QB in 3 yrs. This season his defense is giving up 34.6 ppg against power conference opponents, including 4 games where they allowed over 50 (and one over 50). The 34.6 includes giving up only 7 to Duke and 10 to VT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Kelly is on Bama's staff now making way more money than we can afford.
I vote we get enough money to hire really great oc dc and position coaches.

When we are ready w bag of pledges , we and tell collins his new salary for next 6 years is reduced by 1,000,000 per year.
"Collins can keep recruiting with maximum effort and come by at game time to help refs get sideline ball. ( thats not nice).

It would take a miraculous improvment for me to think our oc and dc could s heme up against a top 10 team. I am ready to be proven wrong on Sst after thanksgiving

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Get two older guys that really know the game. Maybe ex NFL. Let Collins and the younger guys do the rah rah stuff. Coordinators need to make adjustments as the game progresses, identify weaknesses, and come up with good game plans.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
An OC that can evaluate the talent on the team and install a system that maximizes our chances of making good plays is all I ask. We don't have the luxury of trying to fit players to a system. We have to be creative.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I vote we get enough money to hire really great oc dc and position coaches.

When we are ready w bag of pledges , we and tell collins his new salary for next 6 years is reduced by 1,000,000 per year.
"Collins can keep recruiting with maximum effort and come by at game time to help refs get sideline ball. ( thats not nice).

It would take a miraculous improvment for me to think our oc and dc could s heme up against a top 10 team. I am ready to be proven wrong on Sst after thanksgiving
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think we're okay offensively.

Defensively, I think we're in over our head. Either our guys aren't learning well or our coaches aren't teaching well on that side of the ball. Too much confusion and too many missed assignments.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think we're okay offensively.

Defensively, I think we're in over our head. Either our guys aren't learning well or our coaches aren't teaching well on that side of the ball. Too much confusion and too many missed assignments.

Right now our offensive success is explosive plays I have yet to see something i might consider a well called series since KSU. I mean maybe some credit at UNC for not stoppign the zone read qb run when it was working but I just don't see a lot of consistency in attacking defenses from P.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Right now our offensive success is explosive plays I have yet to see something i might consider a well called series since KSU. I mean maybe some credit at UNC for not stoppign the zone read qb run when it was working but I just don't see a lot of consistency in attacking defenses from P.
I equate the inconsistency to youth and believe that time will cure that. Contrary to others, I think the playcalling has been fine, not always what I would have called, but then I'm not getting paid to call the plays. I've seen enough to believe when we're more consistent this offense will be successful between the 20's and in the red zone. Time will prove me right or wrong, but I think we'll have time to see which comes to fruition.

Edit: and I agree, I haven't necessarily seen a well-executed series since KSU.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly so basically what you have happening here, is Paul Griffen basically just acting as the donors hand.
Yeh - a bit more reading and it seems Griffin and Peterson were pretty close. Peterson not only appointed Griffin to interim after DRad, but asked him to come back out of retirement when 'squatch bailed. Guessing he was Bud's sock puppet....

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I equate the inconsistency to youth and believe that time will cure that. Contrary to others, I think the playcalling has been fine, not always what I would have called, but then I'm not getting paid to call the plays. I've seen enough to believe when we're more consistent this offense will be successful between the 20's and in the red zone. Time will prove me right or wrong, but I think we'll have time to see which comes to fruition.

Edit: and I agree, I haven't necessarily seen a well-executed series since KSU.

There is a difference between well executed and well called. Heres what i do not see from coach P. I don't see things building upon themselves. If you want a good example of this watch any Ole Miss game kiffen seems to scheme runs open with pass concepts, passes open with run concepts and receivers wide *** open his team doesn't always execute but the scheming is there and the play calling is there. When Coach P is calling plays it seems like he has a script for the first drive a script for the first drvie fo the second half. and everything else is a ask madden crapshoot.

He's nto calling based on past success (the johnson method oh rocket toss worked to the left? lets see if it works to the right... oh it worked... call it left etc they stopped it? counter etc)

He's not calling based on future setup. Run up the middle, run left, Quick slant concept, TE Pass concept. Run up the middle PLAy action one 2nd and short of the same run action for a shot play. (the chan gaily pro style method)

He's doesn't seem to be calling in reaction to defensive tendencies either which you might think he'd be doing given the way we seem to be attempting to keep driving plays, but we will predictably run up the middle on an inside zone for no gain on short yardage situations even when the linebackers are cheating up we seem to have no true play action off of that ( which is ironic as this is pretty much what an RPO slant is supposed to eb fore but we aren't running that because our WR's are blocking on these plays).

All I can think is he's literally calling by analytics. And it doesn't work. The worse thing honestly is our plays seem to be "different for different's sake" game to game. Last game we came out in a pistol offset I for the first time all year I think. How much time did we practice that formation? SIms looked like he was as worried about getting to the right handoff spot as he was reading the defense. No one has time for things to become second nature constantly changign things up. We have no base formation that we can fall back on and say okay guys this is what we do. EVERY successful team has this. We don't.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yeh - a bit more reading and it seems Griffin and Peterson were pretty close. Peterson not only appointed Griffin to interim after DRad, but asked him to come back out of retirement when 'squatch bailed. Guessing he was Bud's sock puppet....
Yeah Wouldn't surprise me and Peterson would easily bend to the will of the money people. I mean Ted's an alumni he's coached for national championship teams! Why not!

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Options with proven success at G5 schools.

OC - Garrett Riley at SMU and Zach Kittley at Western Kentucky
DC - Scott Symons at Liberty and Brandon Hall at Western Kentucky.

All are young, affordable, and coaches you’d think would want to prove it on a bigger stage.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
All I can think is he's literally calling by analytics.
I have been trying to figure out what the method to our playcalling... you might be on to something there. It is not quite scripted, and we don't have any percivable "identity" you can point to (the thing I miss the most).