OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
So in our fan base I have seen a lot of the fans asking what to do with the coaching staff.

I have been behind Collins this whole time. I was a big believer in Andrew Thacker. I have never liked Dave Patenaude and thought he was a really bad hire for the program (my opinion on Patenaude).

So thinking in the future and my opinion of what will happen after the uga game. I think Thacker and Patenaude are both gone. Just mine opinion but something has to change. On the defensive side of the ball. Coordinators that I would be okay with bringing to the flat. We are not going to bring a DC from other power 5 schools meaning your not getting Venables. Now if they are the Co-DC at a power 5 school then that's a different story. So this name was mentioned yesterday. Nate Woody, when he was here at tech for the one year. Our defense was in the top half of FBS schools. Except for points allowed I believe. Other coordinators are: Chad Staggs DC at CCU, Charlie Strong Assistant head coach & inside linebackers coach at Jacksonville *not likely but a name to throw out*, Charles Kelly associate defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Alabama. Kelly replace AL Grove at Tech in 2012 for a half season. Under him our defense was pretty good. Lastly, Jon Tenuta defensive analyst at Virginia Tech. When Tenuta was the DC on the flats our defense ranked in the top 25 in most categories. These are just name that's pops up first.

Moving on to the offensive side of the ball. Now I was reading an article yesterday from back when Collins was hired. Some of the fan base wanted to see Patrick Nix back as the OC. This would be a cheaper hire since he is the head coach of Centeral HS in Phenix City Alabama. Willy Korn Co-OC at CCU, Zach Kittley OC at Huston Baptist, Brent Key, Tashard Choice, Ian Shoemaker OC at Eastern Washington. These a few names that come to mind as replacements.

Now everyone will have different opinions and might question why to some of the names. At the end of the day if Collins replaces both DC and OC. I hope he does! Any of these names listed I would be perfectly fine with.

GO JACKETS!

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
If Collins wants to save face and show that he truly cares about the winning culture he speaks of so often, I think it's a must that we get a new OC and DC. While I think Nick Rolovich would be out, I would love if he got the opportunity to be our OC. After that, I wouldn't mind seeing Tashard Choice get the chance as I feel like he has a good grasp of what Collins wants done and he seems to get the best out of the RBs. He's not afraid to get in a guy's grill but will praise him when it's deserved. If we can pull Willy Korn that would be a huge win in my book. His schemes seem to fit the kind of players we have and could work wonders for us.

On defense, we should make peace with Nate Woody and bring him back. If not, Jon Tenuta or Chad Staggs would be solid hires. We could possibly look into Jay Bateman and see if he would leave UNC and bring those 2017 and 2018 defenses from Army with him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Kelly is on Bama's staff now making way more money than we can afford.

I thought our defense looked good the few games he got to take the reins after we let Groh go. CPJ really liked Kelly and respected him. Kelly is also a great recruiter.

$800K+ to be a DB coach at Bama. I bet he'd take a little more to be our DC and run his own show. If you want a good OC or DC, you're going to pay. I think GT would pay about $1 million for a good coordinator. Don't forget, Friedgen was one of highest paid coordinators at the time, and we shelled out a lot of money for Roof to come back...and it was a good amount for that time.

I'm not saying Kelly is the answer for us, just stating the amount of money we'd pay for a good coach...and Kelly isn't even a full coordinator.

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
If Collins wants to save face and show that he truly cares about the winning culture he speaks of so often, I think it's a must that we get a new OC and DC. While I think Nick Rolovich would be out, I would love if he got the opportunity to be our OC. After that, I wouldn't mind seeing Tashard Choice get the chance as I feel like he has a good grasp of what Collins wants done and he seems to get the best out of the RBs. He's not afraid to get in a guy's grill but will praise him when it's deserved. If we can pull Willy Korn that would be a huge win in my book. His schemes seem to fit the kind of players we have and could work wonders for us.

On defense, we should make peace with Nate Woody and bring him back. If not, Jon Tenuta or Chad Staggs would be solid hires. We could possibly look into Jay Bateman and see if he would leave UNC and bring those 2017 and 2018 defenses from Army with him.
Bateman was another name that came to mind as well. I just didn't put him down.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Kelly is on Bama's staff now making way more money than we can afford.
Yep, Kelly is making 875k at Bama right now compared to Thacker at 450k. I like the idea but it ain’t happening. Unless, Collins shows he actually cares and takes a pay cut to hire proven/better staff. Burton is another guy on the defensive side that needs to be looked at. It seems like our safeties have regressed over the last 3 seasons.

Patenaude(and Key) are showing some flashes of brilliance on O and Key will have ‘his guys’🙄 next year, which maybe enough to justify keeping him next year. If we do move on, I’d like to take a shot at Corey Dennis, qb coach at Ohio State. Yes, he has that ex-Tech player stigma, but he appears to be a high level recruiter for them and he’s studied under Urban and Ryan Day.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have also been wondering if CK would be an option, he did a great job as interim DC, we made a huge mistake hiring Roof over him imo

That had a lot to do with some money guys. From what I understand, CPJ wanted to pay Kelly to keep him here and not go to FSU. Some of the money guys wanted to bring Roof home. That's not saying CPJ didn't want Roof at all, but Kelly also knew that there was some internal pressure to bring Roof home, and he saw the writing on the wall.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I have also been wondering if CK would be an option, he did a great job as interim DC, we made a huge mistake hiring Roof over him imo
Yes the money guys screwed us there again.

My vote is keep the guys we have now. Nobody will want to come coach under a lame duck coach, so pair that with the fact that we are cash strapped, there's not much of a positive move we can afford.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, Kelly is making 875k at Bama right now compared to Thacker at 450k. I like the idea but it ain’t happening. Unless, Collins shows he actually cares and takes a pay cut to hire proven/better staff. Burton is another guy on the defensive side that needs to be looked at. It seems like our safeties have regressed over the last 3 seasons.

Patenaude(and Key) are showing some flashes of brilliance on O and Key will have ‘his guys’🙄 next year, which maybe enough to justify keeping him next year. If we do move on, I’d like to take a shot at Corey Dennis, qb coach at Ohio State. Yes, he has that ex-Tech player stigma, but he appears to be a high level recruiter for them and he’s studied under Urban and Ryan Day.
Corey Dennis is another name I've heard floated around before. Wouldn't be a bad hire IMO.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes the money guys screwed us there again.

My vote is keep the guys we have now. Nobody will want to come coach under a lame duck coach, so pair that with the fact that we are cash strapped, there's not much of a positive move we can afford.
I agree with this but understand the frustrations of others with the coordinators. My argument is that this is Coach Collins' program, he is being paid big money to run it....so let him run it for better or worse. IIWII

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Charles Kelly would be awesome, was he offered the job back in 2012?
From what I remember Kelly left for FSU before an offer was given. But he is only making 850,000 at Alabama right now. So it would be more then Thacker's contract. But, win games and fans come to the stadium will make up the difference.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to become the new money guys and boot out the old ones. Get things done our way. Get who WE want. But we may have to cut back on our internet surfacing and message board coaching. Are we willing to pay THAT price my friend? ;)
Let's start a multi million dollar company together and I'm with you! Then people can blame you and me when things go wrong!

Yoda

Helluva Engineer

And understands PJ's playbook