Observation and Overreaction

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm glad you have no pain level.I think when you have the WORST loss in the WHOLE COUNTRY for the season,it is too much for me.What about you?
So what I’m hearing is that a 60 point loss would have been acceptable, but 66 is a bridge too far? Just trying to get some clarity. To answer your question, I don’t let scores ruin my whole weekend unless we were to lose the 222-0 win margin number. By the beginning of the 4th quarter, if we’re down by at least 4 touchdowns, I chalk it up as a blowout loss and say “Do better next time.” The last two times I went to Death Valley, I spent 4 hours standing in driving rain blowing a ton of air through a metal tube and cheering as loudly as I could for a team that had zero chance of winning. Then spending another hour walking back to the buses, packing everything up, and sitting in wet clothes on a bus seat for another couple hours before finally getting back to campus, schlepping all my gear back to my dorm, and finally, for the first time in about 8 hours, putting on dry clothes and going to bed. My Senior Day, the last time I got to wear the uniform in Bobby Dodd, was spent watching the dwags steamroll our football team amid a sea of red in our own stadium. When you’re not allowed to leave or stop showing enthusiasm until the Horse is over, it’s a pretty important skill to not let the score dictate your mood too much. Being angrier won’t change the scoreboard. Am I happy that got blown out by Clemson? Absolutely not. But it’s year 2 of a complete scheme/culture/recruiting change, and it’s still too soon to evaluate Collins’ performance. At the end of year 4, when he’s had a chance to develop his own recruits and fully implement the new schemes, we can look at this loss in context of the body of work and decide whether heads need to roll.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
No we would not win but we might have looked like a competitive football team with a much more positive outlook from everybody going forward. It is never good for the team's morale to endure the outcome from such a game. Being the joke of the week is not good.
I agree with this. The specific number of points makes no difference, and it is futile to argue about whether 52-7 — or any other blow-out score — would look more or less competitive than 73-7. What concerns me is that this program has had some momentum, both on the field and in recruiting, and losing by the biggest margin in conference history doesn’t make for good optics.

Scubapro

Banned
when he’s had a chance to develop his own recruits and fully implement the new schemes, we can look at this loss in context of the body of work and decide whether heads need to roll.
Wait...so he cant prove he can coach until he has all of his players in place? This is utter bs...when BC beats us by three touchdowns then what? Just wait thru three more years THEN we can have enough proof of his coaching ability ?????????

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wait...so he cant prove he can coach until he has all of his players in place? This is utter bs...when BC beats us by three touchdowns then what? Just wait thru three more years THEN we can have enough proof of his coaching ability ?????????
Give me a break. This coach was left with a D2 roster. We didn’t even have a QB. Lazy recruiting has put GT football in this position not the coach who has been here a year and a half. This will be a simple analysis in a few years. Look at the players Gailey, Johnson, and Collins put into the pros and we’ll see who recruited and who didn’t. I’m sure Collins would have liked to have inherited a Nesbitt, Derrick Morgan, Vance Walker, Daryl Richard, and Morgan Burnett like Johnson did. I will say this - the previous staff absolutely put the best kicker into the NFL and this staff is no where close to that at the kicking position.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Give me a break. This coach was left with a D2 roster. We didn’t even have a QB. Lazy recruiting has put GT football in this position not the coach who has been here a year and a half. This will be a simple analysis in a few years. Look at the players Gailey, Johnson, and Collins put into the pros and we’ll see who recruited and who didn’t. I’m sure Collins would have liked to have inherited a Nesbitt, Derrick Morgan, Vance Walker, Daryl Richard, and Morgan Burnett like Johnson did. I will say this - the previous staff absolutely put the best kicker into the NFL and this staff is no where close to that at the kicking position.
Nesbitt was no better at passing than Graham, he still would have been "without a qb".

Scubapro

Banned
Good coaches make player better and function as a team. Please provide examples of this staff making us look like a team and play beyond the individual talent. Did they do it at Temple?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Good coaches make player better and function as a team. Please provide examples of this staff making us look like a team and play beyond the individual talent. Did they do it at Temple?
Because of what we are doing now, Until Collins can field a top 25 roster we aren’t going to be a top 25 team. Tech fans need to accept that. We are just like everyone else now, how many other places realistically expect top 25 teams without top 25 rosters? Until we get to that point coaching is seemingly irrelevant because his role for us is almost more or so to build a roster rather then coach a team. Really sucks to think about but IIWII. That’s why we gave him 7 years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You know what he meant. Limiting possessions against a clearly superior opponent is often the only chance a big underdog has. The effect of turnovers and lucky plays in your favor gets amplified. Doesn't mean you're going to win, but it is your best chance. The more possessions in a game, the more likely results return to the mean.
Well, okay. But "limiting possessions" means getting first downs and starting over. We had no chance against Clemson, and for the second time in five years I thought we quit. In fairness, after an early string of success followed by a losing streak, Johnson was told GT was "not doing very well against Clemson." He pointed out that "nobody else is either." We ain't them and never will be. But 73 points of not being them is a bit excessive.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Because of what we are doing now, Until Collins can field a top 25 roster we aren’t going to be a top 25 team. Tech fans need to accept that. We are just like everyone else now, how many other places realistically expect top 25 teams without top 25 rosters? Until we get to that point coaching is seemingly irrelevant because his role for us is almost more or so to build a roster rather then coach a team. Really sucks to think about but IIWII. That’s why we gave him 7 years.
We really need to stop enabling the coach and whining about the roster. Collins said it was his dream job, and he took it. Nobody twisted his arm; the scholarship roster was known; his schedule was known. Now to coin a phrase we need to shut up and dribble.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Collins is not playing for this year. This is a total rebuild. GT has never seen this before because we usually went from one old guy coach to another and we just floated along for years. Ross and O’Leary being the peak and a steady decline since. Collins is doing (like he did last year) exactly what needs to be done to attract talent. He’s ripping the band aid off and showing teenage boys the system we are going to run.

I was talking to a coach from a school in Dalton yesterday (not Gibbs school). After we laughed about the Clemson game he said the kids are loving what they are seeing from GT’s offense. He mentioned in their area when Collins landed a helicopter at Gibbs school and the entire community was part of that day. Bottom line is Collins message is getting out and teenagers are paying attention. Growing pains like Saturday are going to occur in every program. Bama and Clemson have suffered from embarrassing losses in Savannah and Dabo’s early years. But, like Collins, they put the blinders in and kept moving forward. Collins has had 1 and a quarter recruiting classes so far that he has controlled.
Sounds like that coach is more impressed by helicopters than football

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Dude you are so one sided it's not even funny anymore.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Give me a record you would like to see, a win loss average once he gets his top 25 roster.

Let me tell you something too, Collins would not have recruited as well as he did last year if he came in during the bobinsky (sp) days I promise you that. And that is not a knock on CGC that's just facts.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You guys are ridiculous. It's the same tired argument you've been having for 18 months. Just shut up about it already. None of you are better coaches than anyone on this staff or the previous staff, so just stop.
Do you feel better now?

But seriously, isn't this kind of the point of forums... to discuss? Just because two sides don't agree on a topic, does that get buried then?

If someone thinks what I'm saying is not accurate and deflects blame or puts it on someone else, do they just allow what I think is true to go unchecked and vice versa?

With all that said, yes this is very old and I wish we would all stop.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Give me a record you would like to see, a win loss average once he gets his top 25 roster.

Let me tell you something too, Collins would not have recruited as well as he did last year if he came in during the bobinsky (sp) days I promise you that. And that is not a knock on CGC that's just facts.
Everybody plays the hand they’re dealt not the one they wish they had. CPJ could have walked away from lack of support, CGC could have forged a better path forward. At some point we just need to move forward.

Honestly, my career was built around turnarounds. Sometimes my predecessor was despised, sometimes ridiculed and sometimes adored. Day 1 I told my Teams I own what I got right now 100%. I can’t change the past but I can change the future. I don’t want to hear 1 excuse about what should/could have been done, I want to hear what you’re doing now to get us where I’m leading you. It’s my job to eliminate obstacles for you, it’s your job to tell me what you need and to do your job with what you got.

You don’t fight the Army you wish you had a wise man once said.

CGC has his plan. Hopefully it works. There’s not a damn thing CPJ has to do with it anymore. That’s a fact.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Everybody plays the hand they’re dealt not the one they wish they had. CPJ could have walked away from lack of support, CGC could have forged a better path forward. At some point we just need to move forward.

Honestly, my career was built around turnarounds. Sometimes my predecessor was despised, sometimes ridiculed and sometimes adored. Day 1 I told my Teams I own what I got right now 100%. I can’t change the past but I can change the future. I don’t want to hear 1 excuse about what should/could have been done, I want to hear what you’re doing now to get us where I’m leading you. It’s my job to eliminate obstacles for you, it’s your job to tell me what you need and to do your job with what you got.

You don’t fight the Army you wish you had a wise man once said.

CGC has his plan. Hopefully it works. There’s not a damn thing CPJ has to do with it anymore. That’s a fact.
Well said.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

GT has always punched above our recruiting rankings. Usually by two tiers. Even Gailey was able to do that. CGC needs to be able to do that or else he won't be here long. The hope I have with CGC is he can recruit a top 25-30 roster, and still punch 2 tiers above our recruiting. That puts us into the top 15-20 conversation annually with a special season once every few years...a pattern EVERY coach (outside of Lewis) was able to do. Ross won a NC, Oleary tied for ACC Championship, Gailey made it to the ACCCG, CPJ won an ACC Championship and won the OB. None of those guys ever consistently recruiting in the top 10 or even top 20.

Ross and O'Leary were fortunate to have Friedgen, Gailey was good with scouting and development and he also had one of the best defensive coordinators at the time (also, his offenses weren't as bad as we made it out to be), and CPJ obviously had the flex option. I said during our coaching search, GT needs a coach that has a great system. CGC is considered a top notch defensive mind, and Patenaude isn't as bad as some make him out to be. Offensively, our problem has been turnovers. Whether or not CGC + Patenaude can take us to top 15-20 territory with the recruiting classes we're signing is TBD.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
GT has always punched above our recruiting rankings. Usually by two tiers. Even Gailey was able to do that. CGC needs to be able to do that or else he won't be here long. The hope I have with CGC is he can recruit a top 25-30 roster, and still punch 2 tiers above our recruiting. That puts us into the top 15-20 conversation annually with a special season once every few years...a pattern EVERY coach (outside of Lewis) was able to do. Ross won a NC, Oleary tied for ACC Championship, Gailey made it to the ACCCG, CPJ won an ACC Championship and won the OB. None of those guys ever consistently recruiting in the top 10 or even top 20.

Ross and O'Leary were fortunate to have Friedgen, Gailey was good with scouting and development and he also had one of the best defensive coordinators at the time (also, his offenses weren't as bad as we made it out to be), and CPJ obviously had the flex option. I said during our coaching search, GT needs a coach that has a great system. CGC is considered a top notch defensive mind, and Patenaude isn't as bad as some make him out to be. Offensively, our problem has been turnovers. Whether or not CGC + Patenaude can take us to top 15-20 territory with the recruiting classes we're signing is TBD.
And this could change should gt put more resources into the program. I really also like that CGC is able to recruit a wider net due to his northern connections from temple, I think that and increases funding are a requirement to get to the elite level recruiting he's promising.

But CGC is a proven defensive minded coach and I am excited to see the final product there! You are definitely spot on here though that GT must punch above it's weight to have success, until our recruiting ceiling is changed.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

String together multiple10-2 9-3 seasons and that would be historically a dominate run. Also him winning 6-7 would be on par with our history.