Obit calling our CPJ

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
So now the guy is attached to a classless act for all of eternity. The family should have edited his final wish but it's too late now. Was he related to the guy that poisoned Auburn's trees or the woman who killed a fellow Bama fan for not taking a loss seriously enough?

So now the guy is attached to a classless act for all of eternity. The family should have edited his final wish but it's too late now. Was he related to the guy that poisoned Auburn's trees or the woman who killed a fellow Bama fan for not taking a loss seriously enough?

Classless? Or humorous, in the manner only a real Tech man could communicate it? He didn't wish Paul Johnson to die, just to be fired, preferably within this guy's lifetime. I found it funny. And when you're 91, and still with it, and not in some dementia care facility, I submit to you that a person earns a certain right to espouse his opinion, an opinion formulated with the wisdom of a long , and apparently Tech-oriented life. As another poster put it, we should mourn the loss of someone that was a lifetime lover of the white and gold.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I try not to speak ill of the dead, but that was completely and utterly lacking class. This is the kind of crap normally associated with an Alabama or a Georgia fan, not a Tech man. It's embarrassing as a fan that someone else who cheers on the Jackets behaves this way in his final act.

The guy fought in the Battle of the Bulge. By my reckoning, that man has more class than any of us or all of us combined.

Setting aside the question of class, however, I do think this obituary points out the thing I have stated before on the hot-seat thread, and that is that there is deep, deep discontentment with Paul Johnson, and this guy needs to start winning and winning now. And by winning, I'm not talking about the Pitt/Duke/North Carolina type teams. Those wins of course must happen. But I'm talking the Miami/Virginia Tech/Clemson/Georgia type teams. Needs to start getting the team ranked consistently, and beating the best teams on our schedule. It has to start this year, or he will be fired.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
"there is deep, deep discontentment with Paul Johnson"

It is much deeper than I realized - about 6 feet deeper. If we have a great year this year and CPJ turns us in a positive direction, that lifelong fan set himself up to be wrong for all eternity. I don't find it humorous or clever. He should have put soething supportive of the school he loved in the obit for the long-term good of the school.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
"there is deep, deep discontentment with Paul Johnson"

It is much deeper than I realized - about 6 feet deeper. If we have a great year this year and CPJ turns us in a positive direction, that lifelong fan set himself up to be wrong for all eternity. I don't find it humorous or clever. He should have put soething supportive of the school he loved in the obit for the long-term good of the school.

Don't fall into the trap of believing that not supporting a coach is not supporting the team. Coaches come and go but the loyalty to the school was obviously still there.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Once again, I see a disconnect with the comments blasting this guy. I've read posts from many GT Fans (and avid supporters) that they think CPJ should be fired. They're entitled to their opinion, and it's as valid as anyone else's.

The obituary was written by someone other than the guy that died. It may have been one of his children, or maybe his wife (I'm betting on a son or daughter). The comment may have reflected something he felt, but he didn't choose to broadcast it to the entire reading world, someone else did. To comment about the "classiness" of a GT fan based on something someone else included in his obituary kind of falls short.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I said he was "associated" with a classless act. I never said he was classless. Further, I said his family should have edited the obit. Harping on firing the coach is hardly supporting the school, IMHO.

Posts on these boards are read by recruits, parents of recruits, and potential recruits. Coach-bashing should be done off line and comments should be shared with people that can make the change. Telling other fans that you think the coach should be fired accomplishes nothing and only hurts the program.

I said he was "associated" with a classless act. I never said he was classless. Further, I said his family should have edited the obit. Harping on firing the coach is hardly supporting the school, IMHO.

Posts on these boards are read by recruits, parents of recruits, and potential recruits. Coach-bashing should be done off line and comments should be shared with people that can make the change. Telling other fans that you think the coach should be fired accomplishes nothing and only hurts the program.
Yes, yes. By all means. Let's not make a comment that is controversial or inflammatory in any forum where people might actually read it. S-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-h-h-h-h. Keep your voice down, others might hear you. Like Tom Perkins and his Kristallnacht foolishness. Please don't utter a thought that might upset or incite.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow

GT > CPJ not the other way around.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
GT > CPJ not the other way around.

So are we supporting GT and promoting the brand when we foment angst against the coach? I think it is fine to voice opinions about what we wish the coach would or would not do. I think it is completely unproductive to suggest firing the coach to other fans.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Classless? Or humorous, in the manner only a real Tech man could communicate it? He didn't wish Paul Johnson to die, just to be fired, preferably within this guy's lifetime. I found it funny. And when you're 91, and still with it, and not in some dementia care facility, I submit to you that a person earns a certain right to espouse his opinion, an opinion formulated with the wisdom of a long , and apparently Tech-oriented life. As another poster put it, we should mourn the loss of someone that was a lifetime lover of the white and gold.

Calling for someone to lose their job IS classless.

Atomic Jacket

Banned

Set aside for a moment the question of whether Johnson should be fired. Speaking generally on the topic coach firings, I think it is entirely appropriate for a fan to voice public support for a coach's firing. And in fact, if a fan does believe he should be fired, not only is it okay, but it's actually preferable that he make that desire known publicly, and not just by a private message to the athletic director. The reason is that it helps to validate the opinions of like-minded fans who may be staying silent out of a false belief that they are alone or at best small in number. It helps to draw out more fans who are in agreement with his opinion, and maybe convinces them to throw their support behind a change. This is the best way to apply pressure to an administration to make a change. I firmly believe that one of the main reasons Gailey was able to hang around as long as he did is that much of the criticism and criticizers of Gailey were censored from the Hive, which was the main source of fan opinion at the time. These fans found a voice on other sites, but there was not nearly the traffic. I think the efforts of the Hive actually prolonged and delayed the inevitable change, because it kept the voices of the dissenters marginalized until the groundswell was too much to tamp down. The cratering of support for Gailey seemed to happen overnight to the casual observer of Tech football, but it had actually been growing very slowly over many years. The point I'm trying to make is that if a fan wants change, it does not help his cause to stay publicly silent about it.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
He was a highly accomplished manager. He was a man with a resume that very few Tech men--much less the public at large--will ever match.

Whether or not the Paul Johnson comment should have been put in the obit is open for debate, but his opinion cannot be ignored. From a man whose management skills were more than impressive--and used at GT, no less-- you should all pay attention to his opinion.