O Line Starters

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps, someone addressed this in the post but I seem to recall Cooper playing center last year and earlier in his career but maybe I am getting him mixed up with someone else.
Never mind, another senior moment, Minihan started last year at center. Good to see Kenny is healthy again and ready to go. I feel much better about the offensive line than the defense but we will see.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Never mind, another senior moment, Minihan started last year at center. Good to see Kenny is healthy again and ready to go. I feel much better about the offensive line than the defense but we will see.
Kenny Cooper was starting center in 2017, and did it well.
Kirvonte Benson and TaQuon Marshall both gained over 1,000 yards rushing behind him.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps, someone addressed this in the post but I seem to recall Cooper playing center last year and earlier in his career but maybe I am getting him mixed up with someone else.

He backed up Freddie Burden as a Tr Fr in 2016 and started when Burden was out. Kenny was the primary starting center for '17, '18. Was the starting center to begin '19, gut got injured early on and took a redshirt. He missed the spring last year recovering and played primarily as a backup at guard and on ST. I'm not sure if he was ever fully healthy last year.

Minihan is the entrenched starter at center now. Cooper can certainly play center. But it sounds like having both of them on the field gets our best 5 linemen out there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He backed up Freddie Burden as a Tr Fr in 2016 and started when Burden was out. Kenny was the primary starting center for '17, '18. Was the starting center to begin '19, gut got injured early on and took a redshirt. He missed the spring last year recovering and played primarily as a backup at guard and on ST. I'm not sure if he was ever fully healthy last year.

Minihan is the entrenched starter at center now. Cooper can certainly play center. But it sounds like having both of them on the field gets our best 5 linemen out there.

The one year Cooper was fully healthy all season was 2017, paving the way for Kirvonte. If he can stay healthy and return to that form, he will win us some ball games.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Thank you makes sense especially if Kenny is fully healed. Could be a harbinger of good things to come.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
This O-line will be the most improved unit on the team, and probably the most improved O-line in the ACC.

They will make a material difference in our success this year.

/
DL could be most improved, but those were probably the two groups that could have used the most improving so its good either way.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Good for Kenny. Hope he stays healthy, he's been injured for what feels like forever.

Yeah, I’m super cautious but happy for KC. A lot of spare parts on that body. Will be interesting if he is actually the guy come wk 1 and can endure the season. Minihan and Weston battle should be a good. Minihan will be solid if his snaps are consistent. If not, Franklin will be the guy for the next 3-4 yrs

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I’m super cautious but happy for KC. A lot of spare parts on that body. Will be interesting if he is actually the guy come wk 1 and can endure the season. Minihan and Weston battle should be a good. Minihan will be solid if his snaps are consistent. If not, Franklin will be the guy for the next 3-4 yrs
I didn't play college sports like you. At what point after injuries to people decide just to quit? I am surprised that KC has continued playing, and to the point of playing an extra year because of COVID eligibility. I would think it takes a very tough temperament to stick with the pain, rehab, training, and possibility of even more injuries. Good for him, and good luck to him. If I had been in his position, I would have probably given up long ago.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I didn't play college sports like you. At what point after injuries to people decide just to quit? I am surprised that KC has continued playing, and to the point of playing an extra year because of COVID eligibility. I would think it takes a very tough temperament to stick with the pain, rehab, training, and possibility of even more injuries. Good for him, and good luck to him. If I had been in his position, I would have probably given up long ago.
The love of the game and crazy

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
From AJC article last week:
“The one thing that made we want to come back is just what we talk about every day – winning,” Cooper said. “Because we’re at the point now where we can turn this around and win some games and everything. And that’s really it.”

While Cooper previously was a center – a position where Minihan appears entrenched – playing guard suits him. The position has less of a mental demand than center, where Minihan is required to make calls and set the line.

“Right now, I’m enjoying playing guard because I’m just playing loose and am able to do what I’m supposed to do, especially since I’ve been kind of in a little rut,” Cooper said. “It’s really helped me a lot to be able to loosen up and just play.”

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Lol is this supposed to be a shot at CGC recruiting and development?
I don't think so. Just pointing it out. Also people forget how many injuries there have been on O-line, especially year 1 and were quick to blame issues there on previously bad recruiting (false in my opinion) instead of said injuries.

Not every thing is a shot on CGC. It's just clearing the air on some misinformation that has been going around for a while.

I think we will see a nice jump in line play this year if we can avoid the injury bug and keep some decent depth.