O line notes

Declinometer

Banned
" Sewak noted that Devine didn’t ask out of the scrimmage Saturday, which Sewak said was the first time that had ever happened."
Is it me or does this not sound very good?!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
What? It shows he's either a) getting better conditioned or b) pushing through. Both of those things are great things.

In the first three games I would like to see him play every other possession to (1) play him into shape and (2) get enough film on him in various situations to aid in coaching him into performance improvements to make him all that he can be. IMO sideline maturity is not the best approach with Devine.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In the first three games I would like to see him play every other possession to (1) play him into shape and (2) get enough film on him in various situations to aid in coaching him into performance improvements to make him all that he can be. IMO sideline maturity is not the best approach with Devine.
Somewhat agree. You have to be careful, though. Guys are more likely to get hurt when they are playing fatigued. They also become less effective as it causes a drop in both focus and exertion.

What? It shows he's either a) getting better conditioned or b) pushing through. Both of those things are great things.

Great? Well, at least on the upswing. Can anyone say that when we signed a bona fide four star recruit that we envisioned he would spend months in the program before he could make it though a practice? I know I didn't. This is beyond the Twilight Zone. Elation, Shamire didn't ask for a breather.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Great? Well, at least on the upswing. Can anyone say that when we signed a bona fide four star recruit that we envisioned he would spend months in the program before he could make it though a practice? I know I didn't. This is beyond the Twilight Zone. Elation, Shamire didn't ask for a breather.
First of all, he's a RS freshman. Secondly, he's overweight, especially for what we ask our OL's to do. He's not a dancing bear like in a pocket passing offense. Sorry, no Twilight Zone here.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I did not listen to CMS's comments. I would assume he meant Devine didn't ask for a blow during any of the times he was on the field. I highly doubt coach meant that he had tried to get out of a scrimmage in its entirety. Has conditioning been Devine's biggest struggle so far during his time at GT? Yes. Do many RSFr struggle with conditioning related issues? I'm sure. Let's see how he does in a game or two before we assume he's a tub of goo who can't stay on the field. I for one think we are deep at G and that Devine, Mason, Braun, Brown, etc will be a dynamite group paving the way for lots of yardage between the tackles.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i wish we had more twilight zone here....
Dancing Bears Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, and Taylor Lewan say hi.

Chees is just being funny. We all know some zone in our o would help recruiting and execution would be on par maybe better if the guys r bigger.

I think u see some of it this year. Zone is perfect for hurryup because if you defender is out of position you dont care. When you man or drive the defender needs to be there so there is no confusion and you are t chasing him. U need your assignment clear up front

Zone not as much

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I did not listen to CMS's comments. I would assume he meant Devine didn't ask for a blow during any of the times he was on the field. I highly doubt coach meant that he had tried to get out of a scrimmage in its entirety. Has conditioning been Devine's biggest struggle so far during his time at GT? Yes. Do many RSFr struggle with conditioning related issues? I'm sure. Let's see how he does in a game or two before we assume he's a tub of goo who can't stay on the field. I for one think we are deep at G and that Devine, Mason, Braun, Brown, etc will be a dynamite group paving the way for lots of yardage between the tackles.
Sounds like in addition to losing about 30 lbs Devine has made some conditioning strides. In the hot scrimmage the week before the spring game he got so fatigued he was unable to get up off the ground on his own (he was late to the huddle the previous two plays) and was helped (with much difficulty) to the sideline where he was not very mobile for a while. Erin Joe also got off the field very slowly but was so gassed he also had to meditate for quite a while before he was mobile. The next week in the wet and much cooler spring game Devine showed little effects of fatigue and I saw none from Joe. It seems that acclamation to the heat was the problem then.

My impression in the Spring scrimmage was the the OL in general was not in shape for the heat. I suspect they are far better conditioned today.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like in addition to losing about 30 lbs Devine has made some conditioning strides. In the hot scrimmage the week before the spring game he got so fatigued he was unable to get up off the ground on his own (he was late to the huddle the previous two plays) and was helped (with much difficulty) to the sideline where he was not very mobile for a while. Erin Joe also got off the field very slowly but was so gassed he also had to meditate for quite a while before he was mobile. The next week in the wet and much cooler spring game Devine showed little effects of fatigue and I saw none from Joe. It seems that acclamation to the heat was the problem then.

My impression in the Spring scrimmage was the the OL in general was not in shape for the heat. I suspect they are far better conditioned today.

I think Shamire is down about 50 pounds. At one point, he was over 390 but is now in the 340-330'ish range IIRC.

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
it only takes one play for shamire to have done a good job assist the touchdown.he can make a hole (just ride his tail and break for the goal) this different way of play fall to the ground and cause a pile up in the middle is rough on a big guys body .give him a chance to show yall how effective he can be for gt .please just stay healthy enough to to have a college career.the scrimmage before the spring game medication to close to playing time and the heat played apart ,the spring game was wet he did better this scrimmage he was good got to the line made it through the line was ready for every field goal .put him in front of the first string qb and watch plays get made.i watch him on the side line after his sets he didn't go down to hes knee much like previous he got some h20 some of the sideline fan and got back to his group ready i can understand down playing him we need a secret weapon and a healthy ready SD is it.some wonder how he got to gt so heavy i know .1.he played with a knee injury all of his senior year(for those who think he laid back because he accepted the gt offer)aggravated it real bad towards the end to not play at all.2. surgery of there said knee (no practice easy weight gain)3. injured again right after last years spring game or scrimmage(hence the no play)this is his 1st full year of practice, full training.he is big always been big that's what gt wanted that's what they all wanted since he was 5 .if u was to touch him everything is solid on him except his chest and stomach i see the same stomach's on other line man honestly his aint the biggest, but getting the job done is what matters. come on fans keep healthy prays ,talk and thoughts going up for the kid so he help take gt to a championship.it only takes one play. touch down, field goal ,rest that's what he is used to .i don't know how much he weigh right now but he aint never going to b 320 ill give him 350 with mussel definition anything lower than that he might as well go play basket ball .its almost show and prove time .GO JACKETS

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
I think y'all should give him a break I've played football at 350lbs in this scheme before, number one it takes some getting used to in this scheme the foot work is differentnt then most pro style foot work, and it takes a lot to get 350 moving and stopping. I believe he will be fine in time.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
From NewJacket404: "anything lower than that he might as well go play basketball."

I loved that line, made me smile. Thanks for the review on Shamire. I was impressed with him at the scrimmage and especially loved seeing both his mom and younger brother there as well as how good he is with the young fans. I will have no problem rooting for him throughout his career at Tech and beyond. Some people are just negative and think their doubts and concerns are worth sharing on here. Maybe they just hope someone here will cheer them up. In that case it is good they seek our help. :p