NY Times Story on Lack of Jameis Winston Investigation

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Sadly sexual assault is very common especially among young people. We have to start educating our young men exactly what appropriate boundaries. We also have to educate our young women on being aware of different situations. Unfortunately things get very murky when alcohol and drugs are apart of the equation.

Animal02

Banned
Sadly sexual assault is very common especially among young people. We have to start educating our young men exactly what appropriate boundaries. We also have to educate our young women on being aware of different situations. Unfortunately things get very murky when alcohol and drugs are apart of the equation.

Very similar football cultures between FSU and PSU.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
From Wikipedia: "The Heisman Memorial Trophy Award (usually known colloquially as the Heisman Trophy or the Heisman), is awarded annually to the most outstanding player in college football in the United States whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work."

I think what is the most troublesome to me about this is it appears that FSU was more concerned with a National Championship & having one of their own win the Heisman. IMO it is also sad to note that those who voted for this person to receive the 2013 award seemed to disregard the part concerning "pursuit of excellence with integrity."

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
From Wikipedia: "The Heisman Memorial Trophy Award (usually known colloquially as the Heisman Trophy or the Heisman), is awarded annually to the most outstanding player in college football in the United States whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work."

I think what is the most troublesome to me about this is it appears that FSU was more concerned with a National Championship & having one of their own win the Heisman. IMO it is also sad to note that those who voted for this person to receive the 2013 award seemed to disregard the part concerning "pursuit of excellence with integrity."

Hold up Jameis Winton, hasn't been convicted of anything, hell he wasn't even charged.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hold up Jameis Winton, hasn't been convicted of anything, hell he wasn't even charged.
Did you even read the article? The cop assigned to the case did such a horrible job of investigating there was no evidence. He failed to do several obvious things like check the bar's security tape or track down the cab driver and then called JW on his cell phone after he was accused. The State Prosecutor said that was a huge investigative blunder on his part. Complete investigative incompetence or coverup, you decide.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ATL1, I'm not saying he is guilty or not guilty. I'm saying that awarding the Heisman to someone who was surrounded by this kind of controversy does not put the university or the awards committee in a very good light, IMO.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Did you even read the article? The cop assigned to the case did such a horrible job of investigating there was no evidence. He failed to do several obvious things like check the bar's security tape or track down the cab driver and then called JW on his cell phone after he was accused. The State Prosecutor said that was a huge investigative blunder on his part. Complete investigative incompetence or coverup, you decide.

That doesn't mean Jameis is GUILTY of anything criminally.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer

The victim's statements to the police were not credible and she has a long history of pursuing F$U athletes. There was some damning content on her Facebook page that was deleted just prior to her accusations. There is every indication from eyewitnesses that she not only consented but was "on top" of the situation if you catch my drift.

In short, she doesn't appear to have been forced to do anything.

You can't have a fire without smoke but you can have smoke without a fire.

There is a lot more to this story than is available to the media.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
ATL1, I'm not saying he is guilty or not guilty. I'm saying that awarding the Heisman to someone who was surrounded by this kind of controversy does not put the university or the awards committee in a very good light, IMO.

OK that's understandable. It would be hard for me however to deprive someone of an earned accomplishment when based on an unproven allegation.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That doesn't mean Jameis is GUILTY of anything criminally.
I agree. We'll never know and it's a shame. The story is an indictment of TPD and FSU and how they handle these cases and how they put football above the law.

What I can't figure out is why these guys aren't on tighter leashes by their AA handlers?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
This is the most important thing people often forget about. Regardless of what you think was done wrong in the investigation, you will never be told all of the things done right. In the Denzel McCoy thread on this blog some of the first comments were about how he stole someone's purse in a bar. Most people hadn't heard he actually wasn't involved. Journalism the way it is, we are only going to hear the bad things. If there was enough done wrong you know there are enough people in high places in the state of Florida that are UF grads just ready to pounce on F$U's starting QB.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The victim's statements to the police were not credible and she has a long history of pursuing F$U athletes. There was some damning content on her Facebook page that was deleted just prior to her accusations. There is every indication from eyewitnesses that she not only consented but was "on top" of the situation if you catch my drift.

I also heard of these rumors of other encounters and Jameis not wanting his girlfriend to know, but again that doesn't mean he didn't do it. I'm not about to blame the victim or suggests that it's her own fault. What I do know is that he wasn't charged.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

If the complaint was investigated properly, the truth would have come out, that's the shame. If she was making it all up, don't you think a competent investigation would have have made that abundantly obvious and exonerated JW?

Where's the bar's security tape?
Where's the cabbie's interview?
Where's the cell phone video?
Where's the predictable text messages sent by JW's friends?
Where's the informal interview w/o lawyer with JW after he was identified?

Horrible, horrible, horrible police work. Incompetence or cover up?

Animal02

Banned

Force is not the issue......consent is. i.e. you can be charge and convicted if the victim was incapable of giving consent.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Its really not that complicated. The girl was absolutely determined to have sex with Winston and she did. According to more than one witness, she was on top of Winston while they were getting it on. As far as I know, if the girl is on top, she is not an unwilling participant.

Winston was the last F$U athlete in a long list of F$U athletes that she boinked.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Force is not the issue......consent is. i.e. you can be charge and convicted if the victim was incapable of giving consent.
exactly, the bar security camera might have shown he staggering out of the bar or being held up by a male. The cabbie might have testified the girl was passed out in the back seat of the cab.
Its really not that complicated. The girl was absolutely determined to have sex with Winston and she did. According to more than one witness, she was on top of Winston while they were getting it on. As far as I know, if the girl is on top, she is not an unwilling participant.

Winston was the last F$U athlete in a long list of F$U athletes that she boinked.
What witnesses, his friends and teammates? Lol, you can't even admit the police screwed the pooch. For all we know, you could very well be right. We'll never know.