Number of GT ACC Championships

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I found this article talking about how Duke is doing so awful not winning a championship in 2016 out of 27 varsity sports.
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/01/the-worst-year-for-duke-athletics-in-3-decades

Then I checked the second graph down in the article with the pick list, and we didn't either :(

Now we may not have as many varsity level sports, but we usually win at least one. Anyone know how the number of GT varsity level sports compare to other ACC schools?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good question...sorry, I'm not willing to do the work on rest of ACC, right now. By my count, Ga Tech has 15 varsity sports. That's a lot less than Duke. According to the graph in that link...& me eye-balling it... we average 1-2 ACC championships per year. My 1st thought was now that ACC has 15 schools; obviously, we're going to see fewer championships. What I don't know is how/if the number of varsity sports at Tech has risen as the conference has expanded...probably somewhat. Regardless, ACC expansion seems to not really have impacted the number of championships we win...its pretty steady in the 1-2 range. We peaked at 4 once (2002).