Now wouldn't this be interesting (NFL mock draft)

Josh Joseph

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. I'd rather more picks. And I need the OL to be addressed. I'd love to have both of these guys in falcons jerseys but not if Lamar Holmes is going to be starting at RT.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. I'd rather more picks. And I need the OL to be addressed. I'd love to have both of these guys in falcons jerseys but not if Lamar Holmes is going to be starting at RT.

Mike Johnson was the projected starter at RT last season and he got hurt before he played a snap. I can't imagine Holmes beating Johnson out.

Josh Joseph

Georgia Tech Fan
Mike Johnson was the projected starter at RT last season and he got hurt before he played a snap. I can't imagine Holmes beating Johnson out.
I'm optimistic Johnson will be back and return to form but I'm not counting on it. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought he had some injury issues at Bama too...

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, if we were able to turn a #6, a #25(ish) and a #100 pick into Clowney that would be pretty alright with me. That is not a king's ransom by any means.

I'm not a big fan of trading up, it's not impossible to create a trade where the team moving up wins.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, if we were able to turn a #6, a #25(ish) and a #100 pick into Clowney that would be pretty alright with me. That is not a king's ransom by any means.

I'm not a big fan of trading up, it's not impossible to create a trade where the team moving up wins.

From what I understand, that 100th pick won't do it. It would take a 2nd round pick. I don't think I'm willing to give up, potentially, three impact players for one. The Falcons aren't one guy away from a Super Bowl. They've got holes/question marks. OL, pass rush, safety, LB.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I'm going solely by that page which said the Falcons would trade the #6, next years first, and this years fourth to get the #1 pick. If that's the deal it's a yes, in my opinion.

I think the Falcon's bet on the OL is that Mike Tice will make a bigger difference than a first round pick, so I doubt they take an OL first unless they have to (Clowney and Mack gone and no one trying to trade). Whether or not that plays out, we'll have to wait and see.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I'm going solely by that page which said the Falcons would trade the #6, next years first, and this years fourth to get the #1 pick. If that's the deal it's a yes, in my opinion.

I think the Falcon's bet on the OL is that Mike Tice will make a bigger difference than a first round pick, so I doubt they take an OL first unless they have to (Clowney and Mack gone and no one trying to trade). Whether or not that plays out, we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, the problem is when the guy fills out his draft, instead of the 1st, this year's 4th and next year's 1st that he says, he actually does the swap in the 1st and 3rd rounds.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't won't us to trade up for Clowney, if anything we need to trade down and get more picks.

Interesting contradiction to this way of thinking in Bill Polian's blog article about the Falcons yeserday:
Link

Quotes:
It's interesting how talk of the Falcons trading up has gathered more attention considering how Monday is the three-year anniversary of the team's last blockbuster deal. On this day in 2011, general manager Thomas Dimitroff surrendered five draft picks -- two first-rounders, a second-rounder and two fourth-round picks -- to the Cleveland Browns in order to move up from No. 27 to No. 6 in the first round and select game-changing receiver Julio Jones.

Those five picks ended up being the following players, though not all by the Browns: receiver Jonathan Baldwin (drafted by Chiefs following trade with Browns), receiver Greg Little (still with Browns), fullback Owen Marecic (free agent), QB Brandon Weeden (released by Browns, picked up by Cowboys); and receiver Jarius Wright (drafted by Vikings following trade with Browns). Baldwin and Weeden were the first-round picks, Little the second, and Marecic and Wright the fourths.

Some folks still second-guess the Falcons' decision to surrender those five picks, considering how lack of depth was an obvious issue during last season's 4-12 implosion. It didn't help matters when Jones went down with a season-ending foot injury just five games into the year.

Polian doesn't agree with anyone who questions the trade for Jones.

"Difference-makers win championships. You have to have difference-makers,'' Polian said. "What would you rather have, a difference-maker or three backups? People who criticize it want you to get difference-makers and also have depth and also stay within the salary cap and also pay the quarterback. That's Fantasyland.''

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't won't us to trade up for Clowney, if anything we need to trade down and get more picks.

The Patriots are notorious for trading high picks for multiple picks later in the draft and even in future drafts. Teams who believe in their system and have good scouts can afford to do that as they get better value out of lower picks. Some teams who have no clue what they're doing are screwed either way.

Just depends on the team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The falcons need to just find a player - un drafted player like Byron bell who the panthers just signed to 5 year deal.
after being forced into playing midway in the season before last as a rookie he has started every game at right tackle. Most runs are left side as bell is so big GE does not run block well. He does get help on fast defense ends. No inside rush direct to cams face gets by bell - he is strong and holds well. He is working on speed and agility and should be dominant.
With loss of left tackle to retirement he better be ready because help will need to be spread around.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The falcons need to just find a player - un drafted player like Byron bell who the panthers just signed to 5 year deal.
after being forced into playing midway in the season before last as a rookie he has started every game at right tackle. Most runs are left side as bell is so big GE does not run block well. He does get help on fast defense ends. No inside rush direct to cams face gets by bell - he is strong and holds well. He is working on speed and agility and should be dominant.
With loss of left tackle to retirement he better be ready because help will need to be spread around.
He was terrible though...

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
To me, the argument for gaining more picks should be "everything's a crapshoot the later you get in the draft, so the more bullets you have the better"

That strategy plays a lot better when your highest pick is 28+ (Patriots) versus when your pick is #6. Even if you look at running back, one of the positions people are most vocal about not drafting high, you see a clear hit percentage and star percentage correlation with players picked high in the draft. Yes, you can get an Alfred Morris in the 6th round, but you're much more likely to get an Allen Bradford, a Jordan Todman, a Kenjon Barner, or a Deji Karim.

Since 2010 here are the drafted RBs and there spot in the draft, and I've starred the guys I consider to be really good players.

First Round RBs
CJ Spiller (*)
Ryan Mathews (*)
Jahvid Best
Mark Ingram
Trent Richardson
Doug Martin (*)
David Wilson

Second Round RBs
Dexter McCluster
Toby Gerhart
Ben Tate