Now time for VT - Who is more desperate?

Nice meeting you this evening. Yes, she seemed to be the good luck charm for sure! Loved the pink headphones.

Since my first message must have been erroneously deleted, I do not want the point that I am trying to make to get lost. I know we are worried about dwindling membership, so please just use the DM for all personal matters and stick to discussions about our beloved Men’s BBall team.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Since my first message must have been erroneously deleted, I do not want the point that I am trying to make to get lost. I know we are worried about dwindling membership, so please just use the DM for all personal matters and stick to discussions about our beloved Men’s BBall team.

Agreed. It is pretty ridiculous that some posters get a pass and can say whatever they want (eg call people who disagree with them miserable SOBs, etc) while other people don't. Let's just stick to sports gents

Deleted member 2897

It’s tough even once you have established yourself within a career. I can’t imagine trying to do it at 20/21, without a job, while playing basketball, and taking classes at GT. Hope they have plenty of help!
We have multiple student athletes with kids right now. I have no idea how they manage their time.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
YES...if we could've just flipped a couple of those games into the win category, this season would have a different feel and we would be a bubble team fighting to get in. As of right now, we are gonna have to go on a serious run to get in the discussion.
I'd agrue that we are playing on pace in ACC play with what many expected. Pastner seems to have an issue getting the guys ready to play in November though. Losing both games to Arkansas and Georgia killed our post season, and then the loss to Ball State was just inexcusable. Win 2 of those 3 games and we are sitting at 13-10 with a chance to get on a roll at the end of the season, but now we are probably out of any post season without winning 90% of the remaining games, and that includes NIT play. We could squeeze into the NIT if we finish with 17 regular season wins and get 1-2 in the tourney

Deleted member 2897

I'd agrue that we are playing on pace in ACC play with what many expected. Pastner seems to have an issue getting the guys ready to play in November though. Losing both games to Arkansas and Georgia killed our post season, and then the loss to Ball State was just inexcusable. Win 2 of those 3 games and we are sitting at 13-10 with a chance to get on a roll at the end of the season, but now we are probably out of any post season without winning 90% of the remaining games, and that includes NIT play. We could squeeze into the NIT if we finish with 17 regular season wins and get 1-2 in the tourney

I mean, I could call out 10-12 games where we were missing 1 or more of our best players (like some of the games you mentioned) and say what if. My problem is that it’s been this way every year - all the way back years we miss at least a third of our season from various injuries. It’s ridiculous.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
My issue with being 5-7 in the conference is that this isn't your typical ACC this season. By all accounts, this is a down year for the conference and we still haven't been able to take advantage. I do agree that the 3 OCC games you mentioned were tourney killers. Those losses gave us virtually no margin for error in ACC play.

Deleted member 2897

With no Usher and then on top of that no Alvarado and along the way no Devoe at times too, we lost any chance to make the NCAAT in my opinion. We only play 6-7 guys, we’re not deep enough to beat those RPI 20-80 teams that you need to beat to get into the tournament. CJP said he hoped the committee would look at us with a full roster, but that’s impossible. Do we expect them to go in and parse the data and say “Oh they were #30 in KenPom with all their starters, but #110 without”? Nobody’s going to do that.

If CJP wants to be here for many years to come, he has to start figuring out how not to have a couple of our starters missing a third of the season every year.

there’s still a lot to play for. We haven’t had a > 0.500 finish in ACC play in like 20 years. There’s the NIT. There’s a top half finish in the ACC. Etc

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With no Usher and then on top of that no Alvarado and along the way no Devoe at times too, we lost any chance to make the NCAAT in my opinion. We only play 6-7 guys, we’re not deep enough to beat those RPI 20-80 teams that you need to beat to get into the tournament. CJP said he hoped the committee would look at us with a full roster, but that’s impossible. Do we expect them to go in and parse the data and say “Oh they were #30 in KenPom with all their starters, but #110 without”? Nobody’s going to do that.

If CJP wants to be here for many years to come, he has to start figuring out how not to have a couple of our starters missing a third of the season every year.

there’s still a lot to play for. We haven’t had a > 0.500 finish in ACC play in like 20 years. There’s the NIT. There’s a top half finish in the ACC. Etc

There is a way to do that... improved recruiting, and I think that is what most are down on him for.

I think that most knowledgeable fans who are being fair would agree that he has been more than expected in terms of in-game coaching.

Defensively, we have been one of the better teams in the country year-in and year-out. We gotta get some more Jimmy's & Joes.

IMO, there's only two life-lines. Start winning more consistently, but more importantly, he has to hit a HR with the 2021 class.

Even that may not be enough.

slugboy

Staff member
Connell62's comment about how much he enjoyed meeting a fellow fan at a game is topical, good manners, and doesn't need to go to DM unless they feel it's something private.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
There is a way to do that... improved recruiting, and I think that is what most are down on him for.

I think that most knowledgeable fans who are being fair would agree that he has been more than expected in terms of in-game coaching.

Defensively, we have been one of the better teams in the country year-in and year-out. We gotta get some more Jimmy's & Joes.

IMO, there's only two life-lines. Start winning more consistently, but more importantly, he has to hit a HR with the 2021 class.

Even that may not be enough.
To your point, I think most fans expected us CJP to recruit better given his track record. Seems like we've come in 2nd and 3rd place in a lot of recruiting battles.

Also, while our D has been really good under CJP, I think he could use some help on the offensive side of the ball. Assuming he's back next season, I'd like to see some turnover on the staff to possibly address this. I think we need to play faster on O as well, and we have the roster to do that. Also, it seems obvious the short bench has hurt at times as well. I'm not sure if that type of thing falls on CJP or the staff during the game but the substitution patterns seem odd to say the least. We have guys that will play 10-15 minutes 1 game and then it seems like we won't see them for 2-3 games.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

How does improved recruiting prevent starters from getting injured? At most you could argue better depth would prevent playing too much and that is the cause of the injuries but that is making a lot of assumptions.

Otherwise, in terms of minimizing the impact of injuries no matter how well you recruit you will almost always have guys that you can't afford to lose. We need to recruit better for a variety of reason, but to have a good year we also need to avoid injuries to key players.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Connell62's comment about how much he enjoyed meeting a fellow fan at a game is topical, good manners, and doesn't need to go to DM unless they feel it's something private.

Slug...Thanks for the clarification. Actually, I didn't even see the original comment until now thanks to the Ignore feature!

In all seriousness, it's ridiculous that you even had to make that statement. Some people are only interested in trolling.

Some of y'all plain don't belong here.

Preach!!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How does improved recruiting prevent starters from getting injured? At most you could argue better depth would prevent playing too much and that is the cause of the injuries but that is making a lot of assumptions.

Otherwise, in terms of minimizing the impact of injuries no matter how well you recruit you will almost always have guys that you can't afford to lose. We need to recruit better for a variety of reason, but to have a good year we also need to avoid injuries to key players.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said here, but I do think that if we had recruited a little better, we would have been able to pull off a couple of the games we lost.

When Jose went down, our offense ground to an absolute halt. With a more natural PG in reserve or even another pure wing scorer on the roster, we would have been able to absorb his loss.

Right now, we basically have four guys in the rotation in the 1 - 3 spots. When Devoe went down, we lost a ton of offense and didn't really have anyone to pick up the slack.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Right now, we basically have four guys in the rotation in the 1 - 3 spots.

this is where CJPs refusal to develop the bench comes in. We have Jose, Devoe, Bubba and Usher. We also have Asanti, Shembari and Khalid. That’s seven kids we recruited out of HS or xfer who never see the court except in a crisis or a blowout

If we lose a big man, we will be in real trouble as we only have three bigs, but that’s a different story