Notre Dame to Vacate Wins from 2012, 2013 Seasons

Deleted member 2897

So a couple student-athletes at Notre Dame cheated with the help of a trainer who did their work for them in some classes, and Notre Dame has to vacate EVERY SINGLE WIN over that 2 year period. Meanwhile, UNC literally runs a Fake University for decades and they get NOTHING.

Notre Dame obviously has no idea what they are doing. The trainer should have just said he also helped cheat for a regular student. That would have saved them from any penalties at all.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
Still trying to figure out how uncheats skated on all their academic impropriety.

The way I see it, basically by technicality.
The fake classes were available for regular students to enroll in. Therefore, not a benefit available to athletes that wasn't available to others.
The NCAA doesn't police curriculum, as we well know.
Seems to be more of a SACS issue, to me.

Don't get me wrong. UNC didn't get even a fraction of the humiliation they deserved. I think they probably should have gotten the death penalty, or at least shut down for multiple years, etc. But I think it was probably hard to make an NCAA infraction stick in this case.

And the fact that they're a great money maker for them around March didn't hurt, I'm sure.

Milwaukee

Banned
The way I see it, basically by technicality.
The fake classes were available for regular students to enroll in. Therefore, not a benefit available to athletes that wasn't available to others.
The NCAA doesn't police curriculum, as we well know.
Seems to be more of a SACS issue, to me.

Don't get me wrong. UNC didn't get even a fraction of the humiliation they deserved. I think they probably should have gotten the death penalty, or at least shut down for multiple years, etc. But I think it was probably hard to make an NCAA infraction stick in this case.

And the fact that they're a great money maker for them around March didn't hurt, I'm sure.

How did UNC remain accredited after this? Sports or no sports, just the university.