Notre Dame to Under Armour

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I dunno, I wouldn't say much of the gear worn by Alabama fans is particularly fashionable.[/qu
TOTALLY disagree. It is about winning first.
No doubt winning cures lot of things but when as a tech fan you dont know what you are going to look like every year you come on the field is bad on us old guys.Lets see six unis in six years....stinger down the side and chicken wire and pee yellow.Not good in my humble opinion.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Winning big games would do more than that.

The reason stores don't carry GT gear (anymore) is that it's all mediocre looking stuff. People don't buy gear (for the most part) due to fan allegiances. It's fashion. RA makes utilitarian, functional, blue-and-yellow Tech gear which will never be popular. Us winning would help some. Us having fashionable items would help more. I love Tech but I'm not wearing some random awful blue and yellow shirt.

Again I have to add a disclaimer: yes this is a useless discussion when it comes to immediate, on-field improvements. We know, we know.

You are in my mind on this topic, @kg01 (y) @TheSilasSonRising do you realize people buy clothes based on quality, color, and for my fellow sneaker heads whether it matches your shoes? I probably have 20 of the 30 MLB on-field hats even tho I'm a die hard Braves fan simply to match certain outfits.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Whoa dude you forget the 7.2 wins was established during a 10 game season.....bet you would like to win seventy percent every year.Not happy with leaving SEC either but look at the record as independent under Dodd...seven wins plus was not bad.OF course the day of suits on the sidelines is over and maybe the blue is for signalling but you can pick out gold without too much trouble either.My point is tech is or was old gold and white not blue even though we did change to blue at home under Ross and the NCAA rules.I like traditional colors and unis not the WFL things we wear now.

No, sir, have not forgot about 10 game schedule. And not critical at all of the 70%. But it would also merit comment of the number of games played at home (regardless of the reason) as well as noting of the, believe it or not, recruiting advantages back then.

Did not mean to take us off target, except to say my expectation for GT is more than 70% success. Or maybe my prayers.

I honestly have no idea if RA quality is less than others, but I doubt it or we would have heard about it. I also am not a fan of "modern" designs, but I am no longer in the 18 - 23 age group. Folks tell me it matters to them but I have not seen it matter in the recruits we get or don' t get. Does not appear to mean spit at nd, ua, UTex but who knows.

I will say that, as you know, LSU fancies wearing white shirts at home. I do not know if they still do it, but for a while if an OOC played at Baton Rouge, LSU would wear purple shirts. If nothing else I can understand players wanting a change of pace during the year. I saw Dodd wear white, black, blue and yellow shirts. With various combos of gold and white pants. And white and gold hats.

We CAN do better IMO

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You are in my mind on this topic, @kg01 (y) @TheSilasSonRising do you realize people buy clothes based on quality, color, and for my fellow sneaker heads whether it matches your shoes? I probably have 20 of the 30 MLB on-field hats even tho I'm a die hard Braves fan simply to match certain outfits.

Especially the younger set, yes. My main focus has been on what our S/As wear.

I suppose those in the know could give us $ figures on school merchandising sales to the public with RA vs NIKE vs UA.
And we could compare everything vs RA contract vs what other contract we might get.

IDK

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Aha...another uni thread.

Guys, most of the quotes I've read from players regarding new Russell uni's (from 08 till 12) was positive. I don't recall reading anything about the new unis this preseason.

But the uni this season was pretty damn conservative. Traditional gold helmets, pretty conservative white jersey (no hex's or odd big az stripes) and gold pants...granted the white stripe down the leg wasn't stright (a'la 70's stripes) but pretty conservative there too....no odd large stinger shaped stripe thing. But pretty conservative and looked sharp IMO.

I agree with Jerry...gold hats, white jerseys, gold pants....That is Tech tradition. This years version was a fairly conservative take on that. Get any more "traditional" and the players will likely be bored with those.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
No, sir, have not forgot about 10 game schedule. And not critical at all of the 70%. But it would also merit comment of the number of games played at home (regardless of the reason) as well as noting of the, believe it or not, recruiting advantages back then.

Did not mean to take us off target, except to say my expectation for GT is more than 70% success. Or maybe my prayers.

I honestly have no idea if RA quality is less than others, but I doubt it or we would have heard about it. I also am not a fan of "modern" designs, but I am no longer in the 18 - 23 age group. Folks tell me it matters to them but I have not seen it matter in the recruits we get or don' t get. Does not appear to mean spit at nd, ua, UTex but who knows.

I will say that, as you know, LSU fancies wearing white shirts at home. I do not know if they still do it, but for a while if an OOC played at Baton Rouge, LSU would wear purple shirts. If nothing else I can understand players wanting a change of pace during the year. I saw Dodd wear white, black, blue and yellow shirts. With various combos of gold and white pants. And white and gold hats.

We CAN do better IMO
Aha...another uni thread.

Guys, most of the quotes I've read from players regarding new Russell uni's (from 08 till 12) was positive. I don't recall reading anything about the new unis this preseason.

But the uni this season was pretty damn conservative. Traditional gold helmets, pretty conservative white jersey (no hex's or odd big az stripes) and gold pants...granted the white stripe down the leg wasn't stright (a'la 70's stripes) but pretty conservative there too....no odd large stinger shaped stripe thing. But pretty conservative and looked sharp IMO.

I agree with Jerry...gold hats, white jerseys, gold pants....That is Tech tradition. This years version was a fairly conservative take on that. Get any more "traditional" and the players will likely be bored with those.
Well the unis I see this year are not my idea of conservative unis but hell I am 66 so what do we expect. I am not that big on what the players may do since we went seven and six wearing this uni so why not design one all can at least agree on.....

Mack

Helluva Engineer

We CAN do better IMO
Agree with you..like the traditional unis big powers have worn for yrs.lsu has been white for yrs but I HSVE seen them with white hats purple tops and white pants.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Recruits care. I have a strong opinion on this, summed nicely by this article re: uniforms and recruiting.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...all-recruiting-uniforms-selling-point-schools

For those who don't care to read:
1) "Fifty-two percent of the players surveyed said they believed the way they look in a uniform helps them perform better on the field."
2) "Swagged out uniforms not only help prospects take notice of a program, they can be a difference-maker if the recruit is struggling to choose between two relatively even programs."

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruits care. I have a strong opinion on this, summed nicely by this article re: uniforms and recruiting.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...all-recruiting-uniforms-selling-point-schools

1) "Fifty-two percent of the players surveyed said they believed the way they look in a uniform helps them perform better on the field."
2) "Swagged out uniforms not only help prospects take notice of a program, they can be a difference-maker if the recruit is struggling to choose between two relatively even programs."
This what I was talking about in an earlier post. Wearing a"swagged out" uniform is important to many recruits in their final decision. Hell, I like the gold uniforms like in the avatar of CuseJacket. Wearing white jerseys foe 13 games is boring to the players. I would love for us to come out in all black unis with gold numbers and trim with black helmets. Shake it up!!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I only want the 48 percenters....just saying lol

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Won't question what you say, but I have asked others forever, can anyone give me the name of a recruit we gained or lost due to unis?

And regarding the "way they look" does not in and of itself mean they want the "newer" designs. It just as easily could mean they like the traditional style.

I just gotta believe the players get tired of wearing Gold / White / Gold every single game. But I do not know.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Won't question what you say, but I have asked others forever, can anyone give me the name of a recruit we gained or lost due to unis?

And regarding the "way they look" does not in and of itself mean they want the "newer" designs. It just as easily could mean they like the traditional style.

I just gotta believe the players get tired of wearing Gold / White / Gold every single game. But I do not know.

I dislike posting and reading posts this long, so forgive me this one time...

To answer your question I think folks just need to be comfortable not knowing names for two reasons. First, uniforms could be a non-starter for a recruit. I don't think we'll ever know how many kids discount GT off the bat because they don't like Russell or our style. For this scenario described it's nearly impossible to name names or quantify its effect.

On the other end of the spectrum are recruits who have a strong interest in GT only to use that as part of their final decision making criteria. It's my opinion that few if any recruits say at the end of the process that uniforms affected their decision from school A to school B because a) it sounds superficial and they don't want to come across that way and b) some recruits probably don't even realize the effect is has on them.

I agree, I don't know which is better, "newer" or "traditional". It's likely an important point that I'm incapable of figuring out, but that wasn't my reason for posting the article.

The point that the article proves is that at the end of the day uniforms matter. To what degree uniforms matter for GT relative to other criteria (e.g., academics, winning program) is subjective from recruit to recruit. Even if uniforms matter only 3% in total, there's no sense handcuffing yourselves that additional 3% and ignoring this as an opportunity area altogether.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
They don't have to be like the Ducks and have a different uni every game but have a couple of different options. I think it would be cool to have a metallic gold or gold flake helmet.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So are we not wearing these
image.jpg

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ha! You beat me to it...was about to post that pic. I believe that was an alternate uni we did not use last year. Gotta say I'm not a real big fan of this one. Never was a fan of Navy jerseys though. White...then gold...navy as a last resort. Might look okay with white pants (blue stripe?) and the white helmet.

Matt E

GT Athlete
That jersey is sharpe. We don't need to break these out for every home game, but once or twice a year would be nice for a change up.