Notre Dame to Under Armour

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I am not the least bit swayed about the Russell/Nike controversy. I really don't care if they wear jeans while playing as long as they win. Who cares how a team looks if it is losing? This reminds me of several of my son's comments about his looks.

His lady friend told him he should exercise and slim down so he would look good. He replied, "Yes, when I die, I want everyone to look in my casket and say, "boy doesn't he look good"! Or his other remark about looking good! One of his friends told him to take up running to trim down. His reply, "If you ever see me running, shoot the guy behind me"!

You are missing the point. Tell me a sporting good store where you can go and easily get GT apparel? Having a brand such as Nike/UA wouldn't just limit our brand to the GT B&N.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
GaTech_Throwback_Uniforms_display_image.jpg

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
ibeeballin: The reason some stores do not sell yellow jacket items is the easiest question I have had to answer. All stores, barring none, are out to make money and will sell items that customers want. However, they lose money when the items don't sell and take up space in the store where they can put other items in its place that will sell. It is not the maker of the item at fault, it is the school not winning and making the items a hot merchandize. You can paint it any way you want to, but the bottom line is that yellow jacket items do not sell as well as they did in the years when GT was a perennial winner.

When the team becomes a big winner year in and year out, all the stores will be selling GT's items and the items will fly off the shelves faster than they can restock them. Whether it is Under Amour, Nike, or Russel makes little difference when we are winning big.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
gtwin: I agree with the "Perfect Uniform" on your reply, except my druthers would be the white helmet. The only reason I do not like the gold helmet is Notre Dame wears gold helmets and I don't like anything about Notre Dame.

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
Big stores carry little if any russell gear. Walmart is carrying russell now I got shorts for $10 they are nice but we can't be wearing something that is now at Walmart!!!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Russell isn't the problem here. Russell's products are the problem. If they would come up with some new and innovative things for our kids to wear, we'd all be fine with them.

I am sorry, but I truly do not understand.

You are saying that RA needs to come up with "new and innovative things"? Isn't that what RA has done every year since 2008?

I am not saying what they have done is good / bad / or neutral. It just appears to me they are bringing out new unis EVERY year.

Are you talking about the S/As, or the students in general?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
gtwin: I agree with the "Perfect Uniform" on your reply, except my druthers would be the white helmet. The only reason I do not like the gold helmet is Notre Dame wears gold helmets and I don't like anything about Notre Dame.
the saints helmets would go good with perfect uni....

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why we don't have a uniform for every home-game with each tradition of that era? It should please most people and it wouldn't be bad marketing tool to get more fan's to the games either. O Course winning helps too! But we do need to shake things up a bit in marketing GT.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Guys have said it before on other blogs but live in Wadley Ga which is fifty five miles or so from Augusta ,110 miles from Savannah and 90 or so miles from Macon......if you want tech gear you have to go to Sport Authority or some large sport outlet for tech gear and then..........you have little to choose from.Now if you are a puppy lover you are in Heaven anywhere you go from Wall mart to K Mart with all kinds of gear ,jerseys ,hats,caps ,coats etc but not a tech product in the store.We havae had so many chicken awful outfits for our players it makes you wonder who is dialing them up for Saturday.When you mess with tradition you lose something from your whole program.Ga Southern still rides ole yellar school bus to the game and have not touched unis in years.People associate themselves with the Eagles but in rural georgie its a puppy world and if we dont win big or start promoting our wares NOBODY will remember who Tech was or is......Now if you are inside fifty miles of Atlanta you dont have this problem but folks in the country who have followed tech for years if they want tech gear .......they have to travel.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I'll tell you that I don't think the players are huge fans of the current uniforms from comments I've gathered on social media and such.
Shoot dont blame them.........who wants to look like a World Football Team every year. Many folks have offered solutions but they fall on deaf ears in the AD office it seems.Chicken wire and pee yellow dont cut it.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why we don't have a uniform for every home-game with each tradition of that era? It should please most people and it wouldn't be bad marketing tool to get more fan's to the games either. O Course winning helps too! But we do need to shake things up a bit in marketing GT.
Yep would keep Ole Foggy and myself and other old farts happy and still you have games left for the new guys......what six or seven home games and a Ross uni,Dodd uni and Carson uni would be great to see.But remember this young friend the gov says "if it makes sense.....you cant do it "

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
......if you want tech gear you have to go to Sport Authority or some large sport outlet for tech gear and then..........you have little to choose from........

Mack, you are correct about the availability of GT gear. What's even worse, if you go into the Russell outlet center in Alexander City, AL (not too far from the GA line and where one of their largest plants was located for years before a lot of the manufacturing went overseas), they have an entire section of the store dedicated to collegiate athletic wear. There's not a single item in the store with the GT logo on it. It's almost all AU, Alabama, and other SEC schools, none of which are listed on the Russell Athletic site for collegiate sponsorships.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
I actually got a nice Coaches Polo from the Russell Mill store in Alex City several years ago. 2007 I think it was. Only paid like $10 too. But Towaliga is correct there is hardly any GT gear there anymore. One thing to remember about Alex City is that it is only about 30-45 mins from Auburn and its a straight shot down 280.