Notre Dame to the ACC in Football

Reports are saying that Notre Dame is going to join the ACC in Football. I think it would be good. So if that happens we would need to add a 16th team.
West Va?
UCF
USF
Army
Navy
And what would happen to the divisions? Would ND go to the Coastal?
I would sort of like West Va.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Who is reporting that? I certainly don't expect ND to do anything until their NBC deal expires.

WVA would love to join the ACC, but I doubt the ACC wants them. The academies are not competitive at the P5 level and there is no desire to fund them to that level in the Government.

If we don't want to raise up a G5 school, our options are basically picking something out of the carcass of the Big 12's inevitable collapse. Kansas, etc.

Deleted member 2897

Reports are saying that Notre Dame is going to join the ACC in Football. I think it would be good. So if that happens we would need to add a 16th team.
West Va?
UCF
USF
Army
Navy

I don't like any of those options. I would rather go after someone that already is P5 and yank them away, like a Vanderbilt or a UConn that is somewhere reasonably close to other existing schools. I don't want a Kansas or some other far away place. The ACC is the premier Academic and Athletic Conference. We can't bring in a school with a poor academic reputation. And we can't bring in a school that would need to build up their programs in most of the sports. The problem with bring up a G5 school is that most likely all their sports would have to take a step up, although I'm probably missing some. I wouldn't want to bring someone in who ends up being the door mat for the rest of the conference for several years.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just talks now, it seems.

Maybe it'll happen with the network in 2019. Maybe we can pry PSU from B1G with games against Pitt and ND every year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
West Va?
UCF
USF
Army
Navy

I would guess Navy. It has the academics. It would help Notre Dame out by ensuring that they continued to play Navy each year without impacting conference play. I would see them in opposite divisions and playing against each other in the permanent crossover games.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
A sure way to impact football ticket sales!

Add uconn, navy, army, Tulane UFC, Usf, ufsadcgb, Vandy ( not going to happen. They are not as stupid as we were), rice.

n.d. - join by the fall or f.o.. Go after Texas, OU, osu, PSU, TCU. wvu. Any school that actually cares.

Not good enough that we struggle now selling tickets, some seem to want to hurt GT even more.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I would guess Navy. It has the academics. It would help Notre Dame out by ensuring that they continued to play Navy each year without impacting conference play. I would see them in opposite divisions and playing against each other in the permanent crossover games.

Yes sir. Add a 5,700 basketball gym to the ACC. Forget about the spring sports.

"help Norte Dame out ..." WTF? Screw n.d.. They do not need any help! Especially from us.

Let us make more moves to sell fewer football tickets. That is the GT spirit!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Have felt ever since Notre Dame joined the ACC that if they ever joined the football schedule we would need to add a B1G team to the mix.

My vote would be Penn State. They are far enough east to keep a reasonable footprint for the conference, they are already a rival for Pittsburgh, they are far enough west to capture some Midwest interest along with Notre Dame, and they help cement the Eastern corridor from Boston to New York to Pittsburgh to Washington etc. Most importantly, along with Notre Dame, they add a tradition, a fan base, a stadium energy, a national reputation and a recruiting base that add big dividends to the conference. Adding Notre Dame and Penn State would complete making the ACC the dominant conference in the nation.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Have felt ever since Notre Dame joined the ACC that if they ever joined the football schedule we would need to add a B1G team to the mix.

My vote would be Penn State. They are far enough east to keep a reasonable footprint for the conference, they are already a rival for Pittsburgh, they are far enough west to capture some Midwest interest along with Notre Dame, and they help cement the Eastern corridor from Boston to New York to Pittsburgh to Washington etc. Most importantly, along with Notre Dame, they add a tradition, a fan base, a stadium energy, a national reputation and a recruiting base that add big dividends to the conference. Adding Notre Dame and Penn State would complete making the ACC the dominant conference in the nation.
Penn State fans also have a bigger presence in the NYC market than UConn (or Cuse for that matter).

Mostly I don't want to add another poor academic school (sorry Louisville). So forget WV, Cincy, etc.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Mostly I don't want to add another poor academic school (sorry Louisville). So forget WV, Cincy, etc.
Me too. I was even horrified when people wanted to add Rutgers awhile back. Anyone we add at this point needs to not just be another "warm body" to round out the divisions but, rather, should be a team that adds some kind of excellence, preferably on and off the football field.