Notre Dame - ACC Weekend #7

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that our pitching and defense needs to win that game, but look at the game as a whole. We were up 7-2, if I recall, when Austin was thrown out at third on a stolen base attempt with runners on 1st & 2nd with 2 outs and Malloy at the plate with Parada on deck. The #1 rule in baseball for baserunners is don't make the first or third out at 3B. We did. The next half inning, Notre Dame scored 4 runs to make it 7-6. If you're winning, don't give the other team any momentum. We did that by making poor plays on offense. Our pitching just finished the job.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Getting hard to read this thread...anyone here actually play the game at this level? The bottom line is that we had a seven run lead scored nine runs and lost...terrible strike three to Tres Gonzales in his last at bat bases loaded...changed the whole inning and probably the game. 38 runs allowed in the last four games and people want to talk about the offense. There is only one problem with this team it’s not hard for super smart engineers to figure it out. In the meantime, let’s just support and root for these young men. Baseball is a hard game!

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Getting hard to read this thread...anyone here actually play the game at this level? The bottom line is that we had a seven run lead scored nine runs and lost...terrible strike three to Tres Gonzales in his last at bat bases loaded...changed the whole inning and probably the game.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Getting hard to read this thread...anyone here actually play the game at this level? The bottom line is that we had a seven run lead scored nine runs and lost...terrible strike three to Tres Gonzales in his last at bat bases loaded...changed the whole inning and probably the game. 38 runs allowed in the last four games and people want to talk about the offense. There is only one problem with this team it’s not hard for super smart engineers to figure it out. In the meantime, let’s just support and root for these young men. Baseball is a hard game!
I do support and root for these young men every game. That is why I have had season tickets for the last 5 to 10 years living in Cincinnati, knowing I'll make it to maybe 1 or 2 series a year. As well as giving additional money to the program on top of my season tickets.

Your view that there is only one problem with this team is flawed, in my opinion. Yes our pitching needs to be better, but our defense has not helped. Out of the 38 runs allowed that you stated, how many have been earned runs? I don't know the answer, looking to you to do that research since you made the original supposition that it's all our pitching.

And momentum is a huge part of any sport, baseball included. When you have an obvious opportunity to get runs, do so. Otherwise, you're giving the other team momentum when you strike out with the bases loaded to end an inning. It doesn't matter what level you're at. I've seen it happen at the Major League Baseball level. All parts of the game: offense, defense, pitching, coaching, are connected, whether you want to believe it or not.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel I have become so negative that I will bow out of the forums for a while. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"...my Mom

Agree. There is enough hate & discontent in the world without me adding to it.

I think ND goes with Bertrand today and then staff tomorrow. Hopefully we start a 10 game winning streak today. The only thing I'm sure of is that the team won't give up.

I have a full list of things to do today. And can't add much more constructive at this point; have typed and deleted a bunch of drivel.

Deleted member 2897

We’ve won a lot of series by winning Saturday and Sunday. Going 2-1 on the road against Notre Dame would be a major victory. Hopefully yesterday’s collapse brings renewed energy today.

Deleted member 2897

And another free run from a walk...from a new pitcher just swapped in LOL.

Deleted member 2897

1-10 with runners on.
0-6 with runners in scoring position.
0-7 with 2 outs.

No good way to slice any of that.