Notre Dame - 1/13

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with this. I also assumed the previous poster meant to include White since Smith is on the list twice.

Either way, I like a shorter rotation of 8 guys, potentially 7 depending on who is playing well. Need to get away from playing guys for the sake of playing guys... BG has done better this year than last, imo, but still some room for improvement.

Yes, I meant to put white not smith, I'm ok with White/Jacobs/Mitchell/Lammers rotation, as long as it is making sense to sub them, if someone is gassed or not giving enough effort. But whoever BG decides to play, let them stay on the court for longer than 4 mins. He always subs someone on the starting lineup 4-5 mins into the game, I don't really understand this, is someone already gassed 4 mins into the game?

To be fair - no one was totally vying for more PT for Q before the Virginia game. A lot of people had kind of written him off, but he has one good game and people are saying he should without a doubt be in the starting lineup. I'm not against him getting more minutes, but Virginia could be an aberration just like the Georgia game last year - his minutes to me are more on a wait and see basis.

And you're saying that James White deserves little to no playing time? I highly disagree with that, as he was really what got us rolling in the 2nd half with his 2 offensive put backs. He should be on the floor if for no other reason than his pure athleticism - which is comparable to Brice Johnson (not his basketball skill, just his athleticism).

Agree with the PG situation - I could do without Josh or Travis - let Marcus and Adam run the point. Problem there is if you go with that model you limit the number of minutes they get on the floor together (unless they both play 35+ min).

I get that Q had 1 good game, but after last game, he deserves a chance to get another start. Not only was he knocking down shots, but he pulled down a lot of boards and gives us a huge size advantage being able to cover guards and having guards cover him because of his height. He also gives another legitimate shooting threat which just helps more create spacing on the floor with Smith/Q/MGH out there. I don't even mind him being the first one off the bench, just somewhere in the 7 man rotation.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes, I meant to put white not smith, I'm ok with White/Jacobs/Mitchell/Lammers rotation, as long as it is making sense to sub them, if someone is gassed or not giving enough effort. But whoever BG decides to play, let them stay on the court for longer than 4 mins. He always subs someone on the starting lineup 4-5 mins into the game, I don't really understand this, is someone already gassed 4 mins into the game?
You start each game with a substitution plan that allows you to have the rotations on the floor in combinations that maintain match-ups that are as favorable as possible, while also giving starters rest periods before they're tired. What you do not want is five tired starters on the floor late in the game and the opponent have fresh guys beating them down the floor.

I get that Q had 1 good game, but after last game, he deserves a chance to get another start. Not only was he knocking down shots, but he pulled down a lot of boards and gives us a huge size advantage being able to cover guards and having guards cover him because of his height. He also gives another legitimate shooting threat which just helps more create spacing on the floor with Smith/Q/MGH out there. I don't even mind him being the first one off the bench, just somewhere in the 7 man rotation.
Q hardly played against Pitt, then started against UVA. It was probably based on match-ups CBG saw in both cases. That said, in each ACC game there have been 8-9 guys that got most of the minutes. But it hasn't been the same 8 or 9 guys each game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't know enough to tell, but is it possible that it's as simple as Q gives us size while Heath/Jorgy give us quicker hands/feet on D (though they haven't always been showing it)?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm so mad. I didn't expect much this year, but that ND team is not that good.
I'm at the game. This was a quality road win that was there for us to take. Not a good ND squad and the crowd was weak. We need to steal atleast 2-3 road games from somewhere this season.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Team did not play well, but the refs took over in the second half, and bg let it happen.
His voice is so dead by then end of a game no one on the team can hear him and he sounds like a kid yelling at the refs. That last foul he was arguing if the shot was attempted before the shot clock ran out but the announcers and refs just shrugged him off. I replayed it and I think it was called right but he needs a little more of a command voice. Not sure that's something he can fix

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
Gregory teams have been killed by the pick and roll so many times over the years. I don't know why he has no solution for it. Why did he let it happen time after time? Why not try to zone a little bit to change things up?

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I see us anywhere between 17-14 to 19-12 going into the ACC tournament. Love to see us do better but this doesn't seem like a team that can put up good performances on an every game basis. Hopefully, the Quinton Stephens experiment ends after tonight. 1-8, missed all his 3s, missed his two FT attempts, and fumbled away a critical rebound when we had just cut the lead to three. I know we don't beat UVA without him but he's good for 2-3 exceptional games a year and then you don't want him on the court for more than 10-15 minutes a game, especially down the stretch.

yerjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The difference in the last two games. Shots going in. Seems if the three point shot is not falling at a absurd percentage Tech will not have a chance. Sometimes you have to make the inside shots to get the outside going better. Inside game working good outside opens up some. Did not watch game just looking at the box score, the shooting was bad.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
The difference in the last two games. Shots going in. Seems if the three point shot is not falling at a absurd percentage Tech will not have a chance. Sometimes you have to make the inside shots to get the outside going better. Inside game working good outside opens up some. Did not watch game just looking at the box score, the shooting was bad.

I think we shot 25% in the first half so we obviously did a little better in the second half. For about four or five straight possessions we went inside to Jacobs and he just did a little turn around jumper every time. Problem is that we it took us half the game to finally try to go inside consistently. First half was just bad shooting. Chuck was trying these 10 foot hook shots that weren't even close. One was so bad, it got mistaken for an alley-oop to Lammers.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
In this game we didn't need for it to fall at an absurd percentage, just an average one. This would have made a huge difference - especially since some of the misses were so atrocious (3 air balls I think?) we didn't even have an opportunity to grab the offensive board - which brings me to my next point:

There is absolutely no reason Notre Dame should equal us in the rebounding column. None. They run 7 players deep and the only players of reasonable rebounding capacity are Auguste and Colson. Poor effort on the glass tonight - they should have been one and done every time down the floor.

We also shot ourselves in the foot multiple times - Quinton goes up for a rebound, falls and loses the ball out of bounds. With 1 second left on the shot clock, we foul the shooter in TWO separate instances: one we fouled Auguste on a tough hook shot, and the other Josh tries to draw a charge.. With 1 second left.. Just not very smart basketball, which stems from the top.

People have touched on a lot of reasons why the game didn't go our way, and certainly not getting a few calls and the FT disparity that resulted had something to do with it (also at the very end when Jackson hopped around in the backcourt but a foul was called instead of a travel?). But that was a very, very winnable game. One that you need if you're trying to build a tournament resume.