Notre Dame, 1/10 at ND Game

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s probably a stupid question but why can’t we coach our guys better on how to not get called for a foul? Are we coaching to be more aggressive and the results are fouls? I can’t blame the refs every game. How many times have we had fewer fouls than our opponent? Not many.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It’s probably a stupid question but why can’t we coach our guys better on how to not get called for a foul? Are we coaching to be more aggressive and the results are fouls? I can’t blame the refs every game. How many times have we had fewer fouls than our opponent? Not many.
Six.

More than the opponent seven times, even on three.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You're right that we are losing opportunities at the FT line, but, Our problem is twofold... We are upper middle of the pack when it comes to committing fouls... not great, not bad. We’re bottom third of the pack on opponent FTA. Tells me we are fouling a lot of shooters.
We don’t get to the line either. We are way in the bottom third of college basketball on FT attempts. We don’t consistently put pressure on a defense so we don’t get to the line. Not terribly surprising given what we have all seen offensively. We don’t get good movement and we don’t get good shots. We play late in the shot clock often. Defenses are not going to commit fouls late in the shot clock. We also don’t do a great job of offensive rebounding (also not a surprise when shots aren’t coming out of the offense) and second chances are usually a good chance to draw fouls. Contrast with our opponents’ OFF RB per game... UGH! Zone contributes to this, and you have to live with is somewhat, but this is glaring....

Quick look at team stats out of roughly 360:
FT Attempts - 285+/- We don’t get to the line.
OPP FT Attempts - 240 +/- Our opponents get there a lot.
Team Fouls - 120 +/- This actually isn’t bad... tells me we foul a lot of shooters.
OPP Team Fouls - 285 +/- We don’t challenge D
Off RB - 150 +/- Meh.
OPP Off RB - 325!!! This is awful. Each ORB is pretty much a guaranteed FG or 2 FTA.