Notre Dame, 1/10 at ND Game

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
The end of the first half, regulation, and overtime!!! That was the game. We let them dribble down and execute a buzzer beater at the half. We run some garbage play at the end of regulation. Then we chuck up some pass to the last guy that needs to have the ball at the end of overtime. 3.7 is forever! Run something!!!
To be fair that play in OT looked like it was meant to go to Smith but Deebo threw it much too late and wayyyy off target forcing Franklin to chuck up a prayer. We suck and there’s no sugar coating that. We come out of halftime so lethargic and allow a massive scoring run every single game. We shoot ourselves in the foot and have nobody to blame but ourselves. Make it 9 straight losses up at ND. It’s like playing at Clemson…..

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
To be fair that play in OT looked like it was meant to go to Smith but Deebo threw it much too late and wayyyy off target forcing Franklin to chuck up a prayer. We suck and there’s no sugar coating that. We come out of halftime so lethargic and allow a massive scoring run every single game. We shoot ourselves in the foot and have nobody to blame but ourselves. Make it 9 straight losses up at ND. It’s like playing at Clemson…..
Purcell has become Little John North for us.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Decent effort , but it sucks to lose again, and it felt sort of inevitable for a lot of the game. Big night by both of our point guards, which is kind of ironic since that’s been a weak spot during a lot of games this year.

Like others have pointed out, we choked big time at the end of each half and the end of overtime. Bad set plays out of timeouts is nothing new. It’s pretty common for Pastner’s teams.

I love Kelly’s game, but he is forcing it too much and giving away several possessions per game lately.

One more thing is we sent ND to the line a lot considering they shoot the fewest free throws in the ACC. I would like to think that’s not a reflection of our players’ on-ball defensive skills, but it might be.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
To be fair that play in OT looked like it was meant to go to Smith but Deebo threw it much too late and wayyyy off target forcing Franklin to chuck up a prayer. We suck and there’s no sugar coating that.
I thought it was an iso play for Franklin on the block. Box inbound set. Guys on the block cleared out to the corners and the 2 at the foul line break down with Franklin coming to the ball in what looked like a flat set which is usually an iso play for a big on the block. Franklin couldn’t get position and they lobbed it to him at the foul line instead of the block.

Franklin isn’t the matchup I would look for. Out of that box set you can run neat double screens for a shooter like Kelly to get the ball with plenty of time

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I couldn’t believe it even went to overtime because I still can’t believe their freshman baller missed that wide open layup at the end of regulation.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought it was an iso play for Franklin on the block. Box inbound set. Guys on the block cleared out to the corners and the 2 at the foul line break down with Franklin coming to the ball in what looked like a flat set which is usually an iso play for a big on the block. Franklin couldn’t get position and they lobbed it to him at the foul line instead of the block.

Franklin isn’t the matchup I would look for. Out of that box set you can run neat double screens for a shooter like Kelly to get the ball with plenty of time
Pastner’s teams haven’t used a box set inbound like that very much, but they’ve used it a few times recently, and it’s usually ended up a cluster if I remember correctly. Should have probably stuck with their regular inbound set where they use a 2man screen near the top of the lane.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pastner’s teams haven’t used a box set inbound like that very much, but they’ve used it a few times recently, and it’s usually ended up a cluster if I remember correctly. Should have probably stuck with their regular inbound set where they use a 2man screen near the top of the lane.
For end of game scenarios I kind of like to do something either different than my base OOB play or at least a counter to the base OOB play. Something the other team hasn’t seen. So at one level I am ok with the unusual box set. On the level that counts though I agree with you it was a cluster

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I love Kelly’s game, but he is forcing it too much and giving away several possessions per game lately.
Maxwell too. I’m really tired of him coming off the bench, throwing away 3 possessions with iso fadeaway/leaner 18 footers before the next media timeout, and riding the bench the rest of the game. IIRC he had a travel called tonight where I think he surprised himself that he was about to pass the ball rather than put it on the floor/shoot it.

If you remove Coleman Boyd, Tristan Maxwell has our 2nd most FGA per 40 minutes…while shooting 23.5% from the field. It’s like he thinks his key to more playing time is to drop another BC game.