Notes and stats after 5 games

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT is 20-2 under Pastner when leading at the half.
GT is 23-0 under Pastner when leading with 5 min left.
GT is 15th nationally in lowest 2-pt field goal percentage yield.
GT has assisted on 70.4% of made buckets in 5 games.
GT has made 87 FT, opponents have shot 80
GT is shooting 74.7% from the FT line this year through 5 games.

Ben leads GT in blocks 16 (AD is second with 7, Wright 3rd with 5 ) and steals with 10 (Alvarado is second at 9 , Haywood 3rd with 7)

Jose leads the team in assists with 22 (against 9 TO). Haywood is second with 14 (with 5 TO -best Ast:TO ratio on team). AD is third with 11 assists against 10 TO. Ben is currently tied for fifth with only 6.
Team has 74 assts to 67 TO. Surprisingly Ben has the 2nd worst Ast:TO ratio of the regulars right now ahead of only Justin Moore.

Good coaching makes a little bit of a difference in how a team performs under pressure. Coaching was supposed to be the weakest element of this guy coming in. Seems he is doing ok for himself.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
The freshmen guards have been great overall. Pretty pleased with everyone besides one player that seems completely overmatched at this level.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
We do seem to be a really well coached team. Which begs the question, how much of it is CJP and how much is his assistants. I ask because it seems to be a consensus here that Hewitt couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag and when his assistants left, we were left lacking. Also, it was widely speculated that BOB had a big hand in selecting the assistants. I don’t really know if these are true. I love basketball, but I am much less knowledgeable about the Xs and Os than I am about football and others on here.

What do y’all think? I’m just enjoying the ride and trying to figure out a trip to ATL to watch my beloved jackets!!!

J_Trouche

Georgia Tech Fan
Need Okogie back badly for depth. Tadric Jackson, especially, looked gassed when Northwestern was making their run late

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
We do seem to be a really well coached team. Which begs the question, how much of it is CJP and how much is his assistants. I ask because it seems to be a consensus here that Hewitt couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag and when his assistants left, we were left lacking. Also, it was widely speculated that BOB had a big hand in selecting the assistants. I don’t really know if these are true. I love basketball, but I am much less knowledgeable about the Xs and Os than I am about football and others on here.

What do y’all think? I’m just enjoying the ride and trying to figure out a trip to ATL to watch my beloved jackets!!!

Ask the same question about Dabo (and his national championship)...

/

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We do seem to be a really well coached team. Which begs the question, how much of it is CJP and how much is his assistants. I ask because it seems to be a consensus here that Hewitt couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag and when his assistants left, we were left lacking.

The big thing with Hewitt was the offense we had was very dependent on good pg play and for any number of reasons we never could stabilize it. When we had good pg play we tended to do well, Aikens, Jack, Critt. When we didn't we struggled. Only real exception was with Favors and Lawal, and that team under performed relative to talent in large part because Shump was okay at being a PG but not really a fit for it. As far as coaching goes, while Hewitt was flawed, I would have thought our time under gregory would have opened some eyes about how Hewitt was in fact not the worst coach in the world.

As it relates to Pastner, I think it's too early to say. He's done well to maximize what he got from the team last year, but we have to wait and see how well he recruits to fit a system and how well he adjusts his coaching to the players he gets. This year it'll be interesting to see how he handles the offense with a different 4 spot this year. We might go small some but I can't see that being a complete solution. We'll have to change thing sup a bit on offense to adjust for that. I think the biggest indicator will be how effective is our offense next year once Ben is no longer doing his thing in the high post.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe CJP will be one of those guys who tries to move mountains in order to keep his assistants happy and coaching here.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
The big thing with Hewitt was the offense we had was very dependent on good pg play and for any number of reasons we never could stabilize it. When we had good pg play we tended to do well, Aikens, Jack, Critt. When we didn't we struggled. Only real exception was with Favors and Lawal, and that team under performed relative to talent in large part because Shump was okay at being a PG but not really a fit for it. As far as coaching goes, while Hewitt was flawed, I would have thought our time under gregory would have opened some eyes about how Hewitt was in fact not the worst coach in the world.

As it relates to Pastner, I think it's too early to say. He's done well to maximize what he got from the team last year, but we have to wait and see how well he recruits to fit a system and how well he adjusts his coaching to the players he gets. This year it'll be interesting to see how he handles the offense with a different 4 spot this year. We might go small some but I can't see that being a complete solution. We'll have to change thing sup a bit on offense to adjust for that. I think the biggest indicator will be how effective is our offense next year once Ben is no longer doing his thing in the high post.
Agree on the fact that next year will be telling. Just in looking at the classes from last year and this year, he seems to like the athletic, high upside kids where length is a plus at the 2-4 positions. He's not looking for the big, bruising 4 or 5 man (think Nick Ward @ Mich St). His recruitment and PT of Alvarado early shows that he likes the dogs at that position (along with the fact that Ju Moore just hasn't really gotten to where he wants him to be yet) - this can be proven out by Devoe and the hard push for Hagans, who I think has a similar game to Alvarado but with more natural ability.

I'm excited to see what the future holds, but it's important to give credit to Gregory for Okogie and Lammers - those two have far exceeded their expectations.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Jose leads the team in assists with 22 (against 9 TO). Haywood is second with 14 (with 5 TO -best Ast:TO ratio on team).

Most surprised by this. Granted 5 games is a small sample size. Curtis still seems to be getting his sea legs with respect to playing with the ball. Based on this, my conclusion then is that the majority of those assists are coming from making the extra pass after spotting up or from transition. Either way, he's clearly being responsible with the ball and that's a big deal for a true frosh.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Would they be what they are if BG was still here though? Kudos for landing them sure, but DLab and Reveno get the nod from me for their development.
Not sure Ben would be here, but I think at least some of his success last year was a product of just getting on the floor more. We didn't know what we had in him the first two years because he was playing behind Chuck, Cox, Sampson, and Jacobs.

I still maintain Okogie was underrated coming out of high school, but D Lab certainly played a part in his development. I think both parties get credit - good scouting and talent ID by Gregory. Good development by current staff.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I am really interested to see what changes are made tonight to try to keep teams from playing off our 4. It is the most near term challenge for CJP and in a lot of ways similar to the process/type of changes he will have to make next year with Lammers. Here is to seeing AD someplace besides just on the 3 point line :)