Note to the QBs

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of throwing the ball into triple coverage so we can see how accurate he will be in a tight game. Any one can hit an open receiver ( well most can)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Please do a lot of film study and in game read the defense, look the defenders away from the receiver, then stop and pop it. Buf if covered - do what cheese said - make something happen w your legs.

I am very pumped about the qbs here and in pipeline. What if they are good - i mean very good .? That will attract what we need

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
We're not going to be running the triple option this season and , hence, don't need to see a lot of QB scrambles . Let's give the OL a chance to gel before having the QB try to make something out of nothing

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The QB scramble is one of the biggest plays in football. It’s akin to a positive turnover. Think of early on in the Citrus bowl. Shaun Jones dropped back, surveyed the field, and took off. That was the first big play of the game that set the tone. Think of Justin Thomas’s scramble against UGA to set up Butker. Think of Thomas’s crazy scramble against FSU right before halftime that kept us in the game and led to block and shock. And Hamilton was a one man highlight reel of tuck it and run. The point is we are use to designed QB runs, etc. Those aren’t nearly as effective as an athletic guy going against the grain of the defense and making people miss. We just need a QB who can make plays when the play breaks down.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The QB scramble is one of the biggest plays in football. It’s akin to a positive turnover. Think of early on in the Citrus bowl. Shaun Jones dropped back, surveyed the field, and took off. That was the first big play of the game that set the tone. Think of Justin Thomas’s scramble against UGA to set up Butker. Think of Thomas’s crazy scramble against FSU right before halftime that kept us in the game and led to block and shock. And Hamilton was a one man highlight reel of tuck it and run. The point is we are use to designed QB runs, etc. Those aren’t nearly as effective as an athletic guy going against the grain of the defense and making people miss. We just need a QB who can make plays when the play breaks down.
Thanks for the memories .
Great post with supporting specifics.

Players making plays when seen live is so fun to see.

The

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If there's not an open receiver, throw the ball away - Please just heave it into the first row of seats ! Nothing fires up a defense more than a QB sack especially in a close game
Ah. A Reggie Ball fan. I was too.

But our QBs coming up can all run. As I keep saying, I hope our OC is channeling his inner Bill Synder this season. If the QBs run, there will be room for the RBs to break free. If the QBs run, we will find open WRs regularly. If the QBs run, we'll sustain drives. So …

Screw throwing the ball away. Run the ball.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Hopefully Patenaude has the personality to be flexible and can take from others to use for himself. If he steals Friedgen’s playbook I wouldn’t be sad. I really hope Tobias gets a shot. He is a leader and the team responded to him last year. And not for nothing the dude was a TD machine. I understand teams like UGA and Clemson require a QB that can make all the right reads and all the throws but I want a QB the team will follow to hell and back. I like Johnson’s talent level and expect him to start. I love Graham’s athletiscm. But I love Oliver’s presence and command. I think Yates is a combo of all three so I see a bright future for Collins.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think it's going to be fun watching our offense.

With CPJ, QB'ing was a bit of an acquired taste. No one is going to mistake Tevin Washington for an athletic freak, and he might have had the weakest arm in all of college football, but that guy could run CPJ's offense. It was a joy to watch him flummox future NFL defenders. Nesbitt to me was like a good bourbon. Sit back, and feel the burn slowly envelope you on the way down. Man do I miss watching Nesbitt operate the midline and QB follows. I've never felt more sure of anything than Nesbitta and crew converting a 3rd/4th and short. Money! There were instances with JeT and Vad that we got a glimpse of what the offense could do if there was an elite level passer AND athlete running the offense.

With Coach P's offense, I think our QBs will run more than people suspect, but our passing game will be more developed than what people think. Passing with Coach P's offense will be what blocking with CPJ's offense was. Subtle adjustments that sets up big plays. It's going to force us to familiarize ourselves with various passing concepts that's popular today...and that's fun if you're an X's and O's fan. QB's and skill players have broken records everywhere Coach P has gone, so while we may be trading in the machine that was CPJ's running offense, we're going to get a different flavor with Coach P's offense. I know our QBs and skill players are excited...we should be as well. It's a new learning curve for players and fans.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think it's going to be fun watching our offense.

With CPJ, QB'ing was a bit of an acquired taste. No one is going to mistake Tevin Washington for an athletic freak, and he might have had the weakest arm in all of college football, but that guy could run CPJ's offense. It was a joy to watch him flummox future NFL defenders. Nesbitt to me was like a good bourbon. Sit back, and feel the burn slowly envelope you on the way down. Man do I miss watching Nesbitt operate the midline and QB follows. I've never felt more sure of anything than Nesbitta and crew converting a 3rd/4th and short. Money! There were instances with JeT and Vad that we got a glimpse of what the offense could do if there was an elite level passer AND athlete running the offense.

With Coach P's offense, I think our QBs will run more than people suspect, but our passing game will be more developed than what people think. Passing with Coach P's offense will be what blocking with CPJ's offense was. Subtle adjustments that sets up big plays. It's going to force us to familiarize ourselves with various passing concepts that's popular today...and that's fun if you're an X's and O's fan. QB's and skill players have broken records everywhere Coach P has gone, so while we may be trading in the machine that was CPJ's running offense, we're going to get a different flavor with Coach P's offense. I know our QBs and skill players are excited...we should be as well. It's a new learning curve for players and fans.
Excellent post .

I hope we see impact of the new assistant coaches. I was not thrilled w player development.

Also i hope we play the backups in sets of plays they have practiced.