Note from Juanyeh Thomas

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You're making it sound a million times more simple than it actually is, friend.

I certainly did not mean to. In fact, I meant the exact opposite. I believe it is very, very complicated with lots of reasons contributing, but I work with students (I have for about 20 years now). So many of them don't have men in their lives to be the example and to love them unconditionally. I have tried to do that where I could. But, you are right about it being very complicated many times.

Just a note to say that a lot of the guys I have worked with while they were in middle and high school were living at our local baptist home because their parents either did not want them or made extremely bad choices so that the young guy was better off physically and mentally not living with them - so, so sad. Sometimes, their pain and hopelessness is so, so great by the time I meet them.

I could tell from Coach Dixon's tweet that he wanted to be a male leader and example for Bryce. I so wish he would have been given that opportunity - it might have made a huge difference. (it might have not, but I am still on the side it would have)

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I certainly did not mean to. In fact, I meant the exact opposite. I believe it is very, very complicated with lots of reasons contributing, but I work with students (I have for about 20 years now). So many of them don't have men in their lives to be the example and to love them unconditionally. I have tried to do that where I could. But, you are right about it being very complicated many times.

Just a note to say that a lot of the guys I have worked with while they were in middle and high school were living at our local baptist home because their parents either did not want them or made extremely bad choices so that the young guy was better off physically and mentally not living with them - so, so sad. Sometimes, their pain and hopelessness is so, so great by the time I meet them.

Agreed. Thanks for elaborating. I read the vibe of your initial message wrong.

Oftentimes I hear people say things like, "well, why don't they just go to a shelter" or "why don't they just get family to loan them money".

Stuff like that just galls me. There's so much that goes into those decisions that people who don't have experience with it simply can't fathom.

One would think that his HS coach pretty much realized what was going on, not just with Bryce's family, but with his emotional state and could have either provided some assistance of his own, or recruited others to help. And, of course, maybe he did, and maybe other individuals and/or groups in the area did, but to no avail. Still, it seems like both Bryce and his mom felt and, in his mom's case is still feeling, lost and alone and unloved. My heart goes out to all of them.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Dude. Quit being sensitive. You can debate without getting emotional.

Just answer the question, what do you think a player should be paid?

I said I am not sure. It is a complicated situation. I think allowing players to profit off endorsements and such is a reasonable place to start. Juanyeh didn't propose a solution, either, just spoke up that there is an issue to be addressed and a valid reason for players to ask for more than what they currently get. My response is emotional both because of what happened with Bryce and my own personal experience with poverty. You came across as dismissive, so I reacted.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I said I am not sure. It is a complicated situation. I think allowing players to profit off endorsements and such is a reasonable place to start. Juanyeh didn't propose a solution, either, just spoke up that there is an issue to be addressed and a valid reason for players to ask for more than what they currently get. My response is emotional both because of what happened with Bryce and my own personal experience with poverty. You came across as dismissive, so I reacted.

Fair enough. I completely disagree with players being paid for endorsements. That set up is just too ripe for abuse and honestly would have a negligible affect on a majority of D1 players. Including Thomas.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused why people are bringing up non student-athletes who are struggling and who’s families are struggling. Yes, this is a larger population than student-athletes. But the whole point is that student-athletes generates significantly more revenue for the school than the struggling non student-athlete. I’m pretty sure if Juanyeh wasn’t a football player at an ACC school then he wouldn’t feel like he has a point.

Honestly, since Juanyeh Thomas has stepped on campus for GT, how much revenue do you think he’s generated for GT? Whatever your guess is, I guarantee you it’s at least 100x more than the GT tuition he’d be required to pay as a non-student athlete.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused why people are bringing up non student-athletes who are struggling and who’s families are struggling. Yes, this is a larger population than student-athletes. But the whole point is that student-athletes generates significantly more revenue for the school than the struggling non student-athlete. I’m pretty sure if Juanyeh wasn’t a football player at an ACC school then he wouldn’t feel like he has a point.

Honestly, since Juanyeh Thomas has stepped on campus for GT, how much revenue do you think he’s he generated for GT? Whatever your guess is, I guarantee you it’s at least 100x more than the GT tuition he’d be required to pay as a non-student athlete.

I’m curious to know in what way Thomas has brought in money to the Institute. I’m not saying he’s not mind you.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough. I completely disagree with players being paid for endorsements. That set up is just too ripe for abuse and honestly would have a negligible affect on a majority of D1 players. Including Thomas.

There are a lot of problems with the potential solutions that have been proposed, I agree. I just think we could do better than the current system.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Just follow the Pro baseball model. Everyone eligible for the draft, NFL creates a minor league, maybe off season, to develop players. High school players can take the money or go to school. If they go to school, they have to stay 3 years.

For the rest, NCAA should limit coaches pay to $1M then allocate enough money from TV contracts so all schlorship players get the same $s a month. Football pay should come from football TV money, basketball pay from basketball TV money, etc.

You have broken title 9 with this because there is no way any female sport earns enough money to pay anyone

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Honestly, since Juanyeh Thomas has stepped on campus for GT, how much revenue do you think he’s generated for GT? Whatever your guess is, I guarantee you it’s at least 100x more than the GT tuition he’d be required to pay as a non-student athlete.

So do you pay Thomas more than a basketball player?

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is obviously a complicated problem, but to avoid a longer political discussion it comes down to local issues revolving around breakdown of the community, family and mental health. You cannot discount the negative affects on malnutrition on youngster’s cognitive development particularly early in life & these impacts are irreversible.

It’s a tough nut to crack & from firsthand experience those who need help are not always willing to be helped. It’s frustrating when you realize you can’t fix every problem but it’s enormously satisfying when you win. Whether it’s a meal, a place to stay, assistance finding the primary/secondary provider a job, counseling thru life’s troubles, problem solving, spiritual guidance, etc. Many times it’s heartbreaking persevering through the failures, but I encourage anyone/ everyone to find time in your busy life and try to make a difference.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I’m curious to know in what way Thomas has brought in money to the Institute. I’m not saying he’s not mind you.

Let's think about just his jersey revenue. A quick Google search shows his official #1 Adidas jersey at bookstore is $120. Let's say they sell 5 of those a day. Juanyeh's been on campus for 2 years (730 days). 730 days * 5 * $120 = $438,000.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
why not take a billion from the 100 billion the ncaa makes from tv etc an use it as a general welfare fund.

please dont quote me on the numbers. all i know is we have coaches making millions a year. while programs split the profits leaving the players out in the cold.

we can do better and the excuse re abuse sounds phoney baloney.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Let's think about just his jersey revenue. A quick Google search shows his official #1 Adidas jersey at bookstore is $120. Let's say they sell 5 of those a day. Juanyeh's been on campus for 2 years (730 days). 730 days * 5 * $120 = $438,000.

Those are Georgia Tech jerseys not Thomas jerseys. 1 is simply the generic # used.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

You cant tribute number 1 all to juanyeh. First he did t wear that u til this year. Qua wore it before that. The number 1 is also the most commonly bought jersey in general for any team outside of very special ones. 21 for us 34 for mutts etc.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
why not take a billion from the 100 billion the ncaa makes from tv etc an use it as a general welfare fund.

please dont quote me on the numbers. all i know is we have coaches making millions a year. while programs split the profits leaving the players out in the cold.

we can do better and the excuse re abuse sounds phoney baloney.

If you don’t think players profiting from advertisements would be abused then you simply don’t have a good grasp on the situation.