Not interchangeable

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think this is ridiculous. The third game of the year last season required a touchdown in the final minute against Southern to win. We're all comparing the offense at the end of the season the offense at the beginning of this season. A more reasonable comparison would be the third game of last year to the third game of this year.

Except our OL and QB should be well ahead of where it was last year. It's understandable that the A backs and WRs aren't where they were at the end of the season. but there is little reason with the amount of players we returned at QB and OL for them to look like the beginning of last year.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Except our OL and QB should be well ahead of where it was last year. It's understandable that the A backs and WRs aren't where they were at the end of the season. but there is little reason with the amount of players we returned at QB and OL for them to look like the beginning of last year.
Are you certain the line and the QB are struggling? Because that's not the game I watched Saturday. We blocked fine inside, but we failed in the alley, which is - spoiler alert! - what cost us the game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why do fans get addicted to talking to each other?

First of all, the obvious, we love sports.

The second reason is a little more complicated. We try to protect ourselves from psychic pain. So some people will become pessimistic to protect themselves and others will become optimistic to protect themselves. Then as we talk to each other those who are pessimistic have to raise their voices because those who are being positive exhibit a Pollyanna attitude that raises their anxiety over being disappointed. Then those who are being positive feel they have to up the ante because they sense too much negativity that they find harmful to the team in some way. Each side begins to overstate their case because they are convinced it is necessary to balance out the distortions they perceive in counter attitudes.

And most people think they are just being objective and stating facts. :)

I predict that after the Duke game most of us will be closer to being on the same page again, whatever that assessment is. But then the cycle will begin again has people begin to push on the nuances of each others arguments.

I think it was Martin Luther who said he did not know how much he believed something until he found himself arguing with the Pope. In that regard we frequently become each others "pope" as we harden our positions.
The "as everybody said (or knows) trigger comes out after a loss. "Everybody" didn't know of our Aback and WR inexperience until "everybody" knew. All of us thought after the last half of the '14 season and that spectacular November run that Justin Thomas was the answer to any challenge, until all of us saw so much confusion from him Saturday. But that is a different thread. We talk to each other because we are frustrated, exasperated, and agitated. We take every loss as a personal failure and talk to others to kind of offload it. And the board is free and the only cost is our internet hookup. Online counseling as it were.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
You make a really good point, but a lot of guys expected us to be a lot closer to the end of last year than the 3rd game.
I think we will be, assuming injuries don't cripple us (which may be assuming too much). But it's not unfair to expect us to need time to grow. Hell, against VT last season in the 4th game, we only scored 20 offensive points, three of which came on a short field. No one remembers because we won the game.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Are you certain the line and the QB are struggling? Because that's not the game I watched Saturday. We blocked fine inside, but we failed in the alley, which is - spoiler alert! - what cost us the game.

Yes, the OL struggled to block the LB level and Thomas just played poorly all around.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

CPJ said the OL was a big part of the problem blocking in his press conference, fwiw.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said the OL was a big part of the problem blocking in his press conference, fwiw.
Well, he would know.

I would say that I don't doubt Notre Dame beat us on some plays. That happens against a good defense. I think the issue I have is that we were too often a block away if we simply sealed the alley, a responsibility that usually falls on the A-back or receiver if Johnson's feelin' crazy that day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Please excuse my previous post. Suffering severe flagellation fatigue. With this one I hereby swear no more about ND, the offense, kicking ... none of it. Just Duke. Suddenly due to past events my distaste for Duke has grown to an almost violent, venom spewing, sputtering and incoherent anger. I am thinking up more reasons to reach through the tube and throttle the coach, team, mascot, crowd, Coach K, John Feinstein --the first hometown rooter-in-chief -- the Duke family, tobacco farmers and smug ascot-sporting, leather patch parading law professors who are polluting America with more just like them, and anybody else threatening the rest of our season. Boy, that feels good. Now if the team will get there with me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Please excuse my previous post. Suffering severe flagellation fatigue. With this one I hereby swear no more about ND, the offense, kicking ... none of it. Just Duke. Suddenly due to past events my distaste for Duke has grown to an almost violent, venom spewing, sputtering and incoherent anger. I am thinking up more reasons to reach through the tube and throttle the coach, team, mascot, crowd, Coach K, John Feinstein --the first hometown rooter-in-chief -- the Duke family, tobacco farmers and smug ascot-sporting, leather patch parading law professors who are polluting America with more just like them, and anybody else threatening the rest of our season. Boy, that feels good. Now if the team will get there with me.
You are a lot of fun.

Declinometer

Banned

I watched a lot of the Duke game while waiting for 3:30. They looked well prepared against an also well prepared #23 North Western.
Duke doesn't throw as well as in the past but their big QB isn't afraid to run. I would venture to say that he had the most carries in the game and he is a load. Dukes defense played sound football and appeared athletic.
We need to bring our "A" game to Durham.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
:LOL:

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I watched a lot of the Duke game while waiting for 3:30. They looked well prepared against an also well prepared #23 North Western.
Duke doesn't throw as well as in the past but their big QB isn't afraid to run. I would venture to say that he had the most carries in the game and he is a load. Dukes defense played sound football and appeared athletic.
We need to bring our "A" game to Durham.

yep. my guess is the game will sway on how our pass attack does,they will not let us run wild ------or wide or anywhere else if possible
my Lawd ,it may come down to our DEF !

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
My companies main office is in Raleigh and I deal with UNC and Dook alumni regularly so I want Dook to be beaten like the "Tulane" that they are. I want GT fans to outnumber their fans by halftime and Cootlif sending out resumes for assistant QB coach positions after the game after calling CPJ to apologize for his disparaging remarks of the past.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
yep. my guess is the game will sway on how our pass attack does,they will not let us run wild ------or wide or anywhere else if possible
my Lawd ,it may come down to our DEF !
Based on last year alone you may be right. But it hinges on Duke's abilities vs. Tech's readiness to play. We'll have some problems at the edge no doubt. By the same token it is a great stretch to consider Duke's team the rough equivalent of Notre Dame. Make no mistake we saw some terrific athletes on the field Saturday, maybe better than Clemson or FSU. We're going to have to hit one I'm sure, but one is about what it will take to get Duke back to a normal alignment. For sure they cannot adopt ND's tactics without the skills, and that they don't have. I am peeved, still, about Cutcliffee's gratuitous slam at GT recruiting, but it doesn't change my opinion of his coaching. He can coach. It may be a forlorn hope but I think Notre Dame was this year's equivalent of Duke, Kansas and Middle Tennessee. Now we've had it and it's time to cinch it up and get after somebody.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My companies main office is in Raleigh and I deal with UNC and Dook alumni regularly so I want Dook to be beaten like the "Tulane" that they are. I want GT fans to outnumber their fans by halftime and Cootlif sending out resumes for assistant QB coach positions after the game after calling CPJ to apologize for his disparaging remarks of the past.
Duke and UNC? I hope you do it on bereavement time.