Not a Chop Block

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
The other question is what was the source of that video? They did not show any other angle of the play during the broadcast. They usually do with any controversy. And as Cheese said, there are many calls like that throughout many games, once the next play is run, the issue is moot.
+1 many times for using moot. People at my work are constantly saying "mute point" or "mute issue"... and it drives me nuts.

Animal02

Banned
Looked like a fumble. Getting the snap off on the next play seemed to take forever.
I would agree that it looked like a fumble from that angle.........just wondering who shot the video......if it wasn't from the broadcast group, the replay officials would not have access to it. Also could depend on when the ref whistled the play dead. Did not seem like a controversy at the time, even from the GS players......they protested for a second, but that was about it.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Ya this is not a chop block...

The center never tried to engage the DT and was by him before the guard even hit the DT.

Sorry if my age comes out but in the sixties that is how we double teamed a guy.One went high and other went low.......I can see how that is dangerous now but it was accepted.Hell I even coached lineman to do this.........of course its a knee killer due to several things but in early sixties it was a legal block.

Animal02

Banned
Sorry if my age comes out but in the sixties that is how we double teamed a guy.One went high and other went low.......I can see how that is dangerous now but it was accepted.Hell I even coached lineman to do this.........of course its a knee killer due to several things but in early sixties it was a legal block.
That is how we were taught to double team as well. (But then we were also taught to spear block for one season before it was outlawed,) I still do not think that a hi/low both from the front is that dangerous. Heck, I got hit from the D like that playing O many times. Now one going high in the front and one low from behind definitely is.

Another one from the old days.....when punting, many teams left a gap between the long snapper and the guards. We would have essentially 2 nose guards set a a 45 degree angle set in the gap....their sole responsibility was to fire into the long snapper from both sides. Needless to say, the long snaps got iffier as the game went on. :sneaky:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That is how we were taught to double team as well. (But then we were also taught to spear block for one season before it was outlawed,) I still do not think that a hi/low both from the front is that dangerous. Heck, I got hit from the D like that playing O many times. Now one going high in the front and one low from behind definitely is.

Another one from the old days.....when punting, many teams left a gap between the long snapper and the guards. We would have essentially 2 nose guards set a a 45 degree angle set in the gap....their sole responsibility was to fire into the long snapper from both sides. Needless to say, the long snaps got iffier as the game went on. :sneaky:
Wedges are illegal now, too. What is happening to our great game?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the game has changed.......can't believe what OL can do with their hands/arms......that would have been holding every play.........the game certainly has been wussified...... of course Mack probably said the same thing when they went away from leather helmets. ;)
Funny you say that. The guy in my avatar is my grandfather in his 1925 U of Michigan team photo. Looking at the whole photo, you can see the guys on either end holding their leather helmets. My grandfather was a 150 lb fullback, btw.

grandymichteam1925.jpg

Mack

Helluva Engineer
You mean "started using helmet!"
Helmet ? Leather ? whats a leather helmet ? Shoot we used 1960 Riddell and they would give you a concussion in a skinny minute.My era the Wilson was a helmet we used since it was so well padded but so heavy..........Shoot we didnt even get water in practice..........man are my guys lucky to be alive.Have a good one my friend.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Funny you say that. The guy in my avatar is my grandfather in his 1925 U of Michigan team photo. Looking at the whole photo, you can see the guys on either end holding their leather helmets. My grandfather was a 150 lb fullback, btw.

grandymichteam1925.jpg
I like the pic my friend but .........no matter what folks say Iwas not anywhere around when that pic was taken !