Northwestern Univ players can unionize...

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Will they legally be able to field a team? By unionizing, they lose their amateur status, and IIUC that means they are not eligible to play college football since it is an amateur league

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hallelujah. "The specific goals of CAPA include guaranteeing coverage of sports-related medical expenses for current and former players, ensuring better procedures to reduce head injuries and potentially letting players pursue commercial sponsorships."

IMHO this is at the core of the REAL argument. The NCAA and schools will lose money since they will have to pay for injuries sustained playing CFB.

Another CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/26/us/northwestern-football-union/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The CNN article talks about how the Ivy League schools couldn't compete and emphasized academics instead. I laughed at the NorthWestern argument that if the players unionized that they would have to lower their academic standards. Really? Who tells NorthWestern (a private school) what their admission requirements will be? If they decide not to give allowances for football players, fine. But don't blame it on a players union which doesn't affect who is admitted.

The shift that I have expected to semi-pro football is supported by this ruling. It won't be good for us fans probably, but will be good for the players if they get lifetime coverage for injuries sustained entertaining the fans.

Animal02

Banned
It was a regional director's opinion......which obviously will get appealed. Next question is will the NLRB even be recognized as legit based on the "recess" appointments. This could be tied up for years,
This is a classic case of a bureau weenie redefining the definition of employment.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don't see how this ends well ultimately for the kids. It's not like most universities are cash-flush even with the extra sports revenues.

Animal02

Banned
Yeah, I don't see how this ends well ultimately for the kids. It's not like most universities are cash-flush even with the extra sports revenues.

It will end badly.....sports are one of those things that you cannot do without other teams. Public universities don't fall under this new "rule" so it only impacts a very few, but mostly the ACC... you have Wake, Duke, BC, ND, Miami, Cuse, BYU, Standford, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Rice, Baylor, USC, Vandy, TCU, and Northwestern.

I could see the NCAA saying they loose the amateur status if the unionize.....that will be the only way the the NCAA to keep control.......they cannot have a few schools governed by the NLRB and the rest not......and I don't see the NCAA ceding their power to the NLRB.

I foresee lower level private schools.....FCS and DII dropping scholly sports rather than dealing with a union.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The intentions are good because SA need some type of representation but I don't think a union is the answer

You would know better than I, but from an outsider's perspective, it seems that GT does pretty well with it's football players. I'm thinking of situations like Denzel McCoy, Julian Burnett, etc. For the most part, it seems that we don't really chase guys off scholarship either. (It may be a different story in basketball recently).

I think publicizing the differences between how schools treat their SAs would go farther than the coercive techniques that unions bring in. So, I agree with you that unions are probably not the answer. I also think that probably the first thing to go at many schools will be the non-revenue, lower-revenue sports. I could very easily see a situation where kids like Denzel and Julian get their medical covered but not their continued scholarship and where more universities cut kids that aren't competing for a starting job after a couple years.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I have not watched a pro game of basketball, baseball, or football in well over 30 years. I quit when the players started making too much money. I will now quit watching or supporting college sports. I guess High School sports is all that is left. This will be the downfall of college football, and it will also affect pro football. The players, both college and pro, are killing the chicken that lays the golden eggs.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
It was a regional director's opinion......which obviously will get appealed. Next question is will the NLRB even be recognized as legit based on the "recess" appointments. This could be tied up for years,
This is a classic case of a bureau weenie redefining the definition of employment.

The board has new members approved by Congress after the Democrats went to a simple majority for non- SCOTUS appointments. So the board is legal.

As observed previously this is a local decision and will be appealed to the national board. Then the money interest get involved. The guys on K Street will make a bundle of off this case. And expect Congress to get involved. "Tied up for years" is an understatement.

It would be a lot simpler, and probably more fun, if coach simply put a sign on the bulletin board that says: "Football team tryouts Saturday at 10:00 AM - anyone interested be at Rose Bowl field at 10:00 AM".

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
As a former college football player this is crap. So, if these players at Northwestern are considered "employees" are they gonna pay taxes on their $60K scholarship? Do they have to pay for their uniforms? The schools do a great job taking care of their injured players while they are in school because they should. After you graduate you are on your own. That is life. You have a choice to play any sport in college. You are not being forced to play!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As a former college football player this is crap. So, if these players at Northwestern are considered "employees" are they gonna pay taxes on their $60K scholarship? Do they have to pay for their uniforms? The schools do a great job taking care of their injured players while they are in school because they should. After you graduate you are on your own. That is life. You have a choice to play any sport in college. You are not being forced to play!
I agree, but there are some wrinkles that make this a little different. Primarily, there is no minor league football and pro football teams don't/won't take kids right out of high school. There's no good place for kids 18 - 22 yrs old who have no business in college but every business on a football field. There's an unwritten but very real connection between the pro and college game. The kids who have no business in college are being exploited if they see no value in a college education. Although, there are far worse things in the world that forcing a college education on someone.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Consider this:

Do college theater majors get paid for performing plays? Do they have a union and are they considered employees?

I wonder if the whole solution to this thing is making athletics an official college major? Why not? If dance, music and art are legitimate, why not athletics? It's a performing art if you ask me. Colleges could actually prepare these guys for the career of their choosing including how to manage their money.

A minor in something other than sports should be highly encouraged since the vast majority won't play professional sports, but how is that any different than dance, music and art majors?

Animal02

Banned
It will eventually end up in court. If players are being compensated as the NLRB guy proclaimed, their compensation would be taxable
Consider this:

Do college theater majors get paid for performing plays? Do they have a union and are they considered employees?

I wonder if the whole solution to this thing is making athletics an official college major? Why not? If dance, music and art are legitimate, why not athletics? It's a performing art if you ask me. Colleges could actually prepare these guys for the career of their choosing including how to manage their money.

A minor in something other than sports should be highly encouraged since the vast majority won't play professional sports, but how is that any different than dance, music and art majors?
Great idea Cheese :) And for schools that do not want a major in 'X' sport......they could over a minor.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
dressedcheesid: There is one problem with this idea. All the other majors and minors are career paths and the students have to pay the college in order to obtain these teachings regarding their careers. The football players are getting free scholarships, some stipends, free food, free housing, tutors, etal, so they are bieng paid for their career training. I can't see how the administration could mesh the two.