• UNC by 7-13

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • UNC by 14+

Votes: 81 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We *should* have scored more against Temple, but didn’t. UNC has a worse defense. If we move the ball like we did last week, we should put up some points.

I’m going 20-17 good guys.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We *should* have scored more against Temple, but didn’t. UNC has a worse defense. If we move the ball like we did last week, we should put up some points.

I’m going 20-17 good guys.

I think it's hard to tell about quality of defense this early because strength of schedule is so different.

Fwiw, here's unc's yards/play allowed compared to team's average:
4.43 vs scar (ave 6.11, FCS is big outlier)
6.42 vs d'ohU (ave 6.2)
5.89 vs WF (ave 6.28)
6.02 vs App St (ave 6.79)
5.43 vs CU (ave 7.08)

for Temple
3.10 vs Bucknell (don't have ave from cfbstats)
4.00 vs MD (ave 5.73, Penn St held them to 2.21)
3.82 vs Buf (ave 5.01, Penn St held them to 4.77 but beat them 45-13)
4.36 vs GT (ave 4.66)

In other words, every team UNC has faced is averaging more than 6 yards/play, while no team Temple has faced is averaging more than 5.75 ypp.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think it's hard to tell about quality of defense this early because strength of schedule is so different.

Fwiw, here's unc's yards/play allowed compared to team's average:
4.43 vs scar (ave 6.11, FCS is big outlier)
6.42 vs d'ohU (ave 6.2)
5.89 vs WF (ave 6.28)
6.02 vs App St (ave 6.79)
5.43 vs CU (ave 7.08)

for Temple
3.10 vs Bucknell (don't have ave from cfbstats)
4.00 vs MD (ave 5.73, Penn St held them to 2.21)
3.82 vs Buf (ave 5.01, Penn St held them to 4.77 but beat them 45-13)
4.36 vs GT (ave 4.66)

In other words, every team UNC has faced is averaging more than 6 yards/play, while no team Temple has faced is averaging more than 5.75 ypp.
True stuff regarding relative strength of each. I feel like we left at least 13 points on the board last week (I am giving us a fg when we turned over on downs in the final drive and a fg instead of an interception in the redzone + 7 for the goaline fumble). We also had a couple drives make it into the opponent 30 that stalled and couldn't convert due to kicker weaknesses. I am hoping that JG getting more reps and experience leads to some more production in general for the team as a whole as well.

Considering your analysis of the defenses, we could do the same for ours. Apart from Clemson, we have face two of the worst currently scoring offenses in FBS. Hopefully our defense performs well.

edit: Edit to say, I am more confident that we score 20 than I am we hold UNC to 17. I am hoping the defense keeps playing at the level we have seen though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
True stuff regarding relative strength of each. I feel like we left at least 13 points on the board last week (I am giving us a fg when we turned over on downs in the final drive and a fg instead of an interception in the redzone + 7 for the goaline fumble). We also had a couple drives make it into the opponent 30 that stalled and couldn't convert due to kicker weaknesses. I am hoping that JG getting more reps and experience leads to some more production in general for the team as a whole as well.

Considering your analysis of the defenses, we could do the same for ours. Apart from Clemson, we have face two of the worst currently scoring offenses in FBS. Hopefully our defense performs well.

edit: Edit to say, I am more confident that we score 20 than I am we hold UNC to 17. I am hoping the defense keeps playing at the level we have seen though.

Fwiw, your ref to pts left on the field is one of the reasons I'm using yds/play. It's not perfect but a pretty good indicator of overall strength.

I'm actually not very confident we'll score much at all based on what we've seen, but I wouldn't be surprised.

The way we're playing now reminds me why I used to bowl and golf. If I could just do every time what I do 1 in 10 times now, I'd be really good.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If we get blown out it’s because of talent but not coaching right? If it’s a close game it’s because????? What if we win?????

If we get blown out it’s because of CPJ. If it’s close, it’s because of a bad call by the refs (targeting probably). If we win it’s because of solid coaching.

Just playing along. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Let down game for UNC they blew their load last week but unfortunately we won't be able to score more than 17 points. 21-17 Bad guys!!!

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
GT def. UNC 27-10
Defensive scores help to spark the offense and we continue you make Bobby Dodd a house of horrors for the heels

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
What will the narrative be on GTSwarm, if we get absolutely blown out by the Tar Heels at home this weekend?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What will the narrative be on GTSwarm, if we get absolutely blown out by the Tar Heels at home this weekend?

"don't worry about tomorrow because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Can't remember which book I read that said that or wtte.

Is there insufficient bitching and moaning here already? Do you want to borrow ahead? I think you have a good idea already to your own question.

Deleted member 2897

Let’s be realistic. Our offense won’t score a point. Our kickers will miss 3 FG. That’s just how we roll.

We win 28-21. 3 defensive TDs and a kick return TD. :p

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Big Ol but still young. Not sure if UNC can pound the ball like Clemson or Temple did. Expect to see some pressure similar to what Miami was able use to confuse them with. I Like that there is some familiarity vs a Bateman scheme. Graham will have opportunities to drive the ball down field. Have to execute in the red zone.

No idea on a score or who will win

UNC has a massive OLine and use a 3 back rotation. They’ll be able to move the ball. Will the secondary hold up to stop the big plays.

GT has a shot because their db’s are inexperienced and they struggled with mobile qb’s. Graham has a shot to really sling the rock in this game. OLine has to hold and NO TURNOVERS.

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2019/10/4/20895704/georgia-tech-football-2019-opponent-q-a-unc

Last edited:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
UNC has a massive OLine and use a 3 back rotation. They’ll be able to move the ball. Will the secondary hold up to stop the big plays.

GT has a shot because their db’s are inexperienced and they struggled with mobile qb’s. Graham has a shot to really sling the rock in this game. OLine has to hold and NO TURNOVERS.

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2019/10/4/20895704/georgia-tech-football-2019-opponent-q-a-unc
Like your analysis.......especially the part where the OL has to "hold"..;). I think we will continue to look and get better on O, but losing Cooper and Camp doesn't help.
Close, but still no cigar......Holes 24-13.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
"don't worry about tomorrow because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Can't remember which book I read that said that or wtte.

Is there insufficient bitching and moaning here already? Do you want to borrow ahead? I think you have a good idea already to your own question.

Best selling book of all time. Worth a re-read.