North American Soccer

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe a stronger super league, with US+Canada+Mexico?

Atlanta United seems to finally have a center back (and a good one), but had to gyrate around salary caps and international allotments, plus a LATAM team that plays hardball at the negotiating table:

The rest of MLS is better (especially LA), but Atlanta may have found a coach that works. He’s working the crap out of his players in practice, and the US and European players are learning Spanish to communicate with the Argentinians on the team:

slugboy

Staff member
Our under-23 team is currently losing 2-1 to Honduras, and looks to miss the Olympic qualifying again.

slugboy

Staff member
And, they lost 😞

A number of the better U23 players are on the “senior” World Cup squad, but this is still bad

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m not much of a soccer fan, but I do like to follow the US National teams during the Olympics and World Cup. So can anyone explain to me why the best U23 players were playing on the senior team in an international friendly instead of a Olympic Qualifier? Especially after the U.S. missed the last World Cup? Does the international friendly impact the senior team’s seed or standings when it’s time for WC Qualifiers? If not I don’t think I have the mind power to comprehend why those U23 “A” players weren’t trying to qualify for the Olympics.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not much of a soccer fan, but I do like to follow the US National teams during the Olympics and World Cup. So can anyone explain to me why the best U23 players were playing on the senior team in an international friendly instead of a Olympic Qualifier? Especially after the U.S. missed the last World Cup? Does the international friendly impact the senior team’s seed or standings when it’s time for WC Qualifiers? If not I don’t think I have the mind power to comprehend why those U23 “A” players weren’t trying to qualify for the Olympics.
Most of the U23 players on the USMNT roster are tied to European clubs and only are released for the international windows typically reserved for World Cup qualifying matches. Three was not time for these players to play in the Olympic qualifying tournament unless their European teams released them while their teams had league matches, not likely to happen. On the other hand, MLS teams were not obligated to release their players even though the season hasn't started yet, and some teams did not. Atlanta United did not release players because they have been preparing for the CONCACAF Champions League, even though a player like Miles Robinson who likely has a future in Europe would have been an important addition to the Olympic qualifying team.

slugboy

Staff member
It was Saturday, but Atlanta United tied Orlando. Orlando City has some scorers, but the defense held up pretty well. The offense and the passing in the offensive third for ATL were, well, we need someone in the middle to score.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It was Saturday, but Atlanta United tied Orlando. Orlando City has some scorers, but the defense held up pretty well. The offense and the passing in the offensive third for ATL were, well, we need someone in the middle to score.

Atlanta United has not given up any goals in any of our official matches this season (2 UCL, 1 MLS). Defense has been outstanding. Alajuelense played 17 games before Atlanta played our first official match. Orlando City has some attacking power in Pato (former AC Milan and Brazilian International) and Nani (former ManU and Portugal International) so it was not like Orlando doesn't have weapons. Granted those two are not the players they were 5 year ago, but still.

We really need for our offense to get going, but it's early in the season under a new coach and system. It's going to take a month or so before players start getting comfortable and use to their new roles and what Heinze wants from his players. Offense isn't the only area that needs to find itself and gell under a new coach and system, defense does as well. That we were able to keep 3 clean sheets, 2 with an 18 year old substitute goal keeper, is really promising going forward.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We really need for our offense to get going, but it's early in the season under a new coach and system. It's going to take a month or so before players start getting comfortable and use to their new roles and what Heinze wants from his players. Offense isn't the only area that needs to find itself and gell under a new coach and system, defense does as well. That we were able to keep 3 clean sheets, 2 with an 18 year old substitute goal keeper, is really promising going forward.
Only one month? I thought it would take something like 7 years (gt standards) lololol
Jkjk

But real talk, I love seeing our national team beat Mexico! Some real hate in that rivalry there.