Non-player rumor from UF

Scubapro

Banned
First, please don’t shoot the Messenger, this comes from a guy who played for UF and is still friends with his QB from that team. The Qb does a local Gameday show, so he is connected…..

Word is that UF really wants to bring back cgc to be DC and are willing to do what it takes to get him out of his GT contract. I’m not saying that this is going to happen, but just that UF wants him back. Yes I know nobody is really going to want to take a step back from HC to DC. IF we only win 3 games this year I could see him on the hot seat next year due to the preseason ajc article about winning now. He could leave that way he isn’t fired from his dream job and could help GT out financially since UF would pay money for him to get out of his contract.
Why wouldn't CGC just wait a few years and get a huge payday then get a demotion to UF's DC?
If he was worried about Tech financials and his career, I would think he would restructure his contract in order to attract / pay new coordinators.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Eh even if UF wants Collins, he isn’t leaving here unless he’s being shown the door. Collins grew up here and has been very genuine about saying this job was his dream job.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

I hate you for giving me hope.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s not that outrageous. UF trying to follow in Bammer’s footsteps. What @TampaGT started with is the normal expected reaction among many GT fans, disbelief and mockery. That being said, there‘s more than just a handful of GT fans that don’t think CGC is a good head coach right now, many of those don’t think he’ll ever be. It’s like 95%+ of other teams fans if they give a crap at all about GT fooball. I’m surrounded by them daily (most follow GT because of me) and they don’t hesitate to tell me what they think. We have very lively football discussions down here & normally it’s pretty raw conversations, not the rah rah stuff although occasionally it is like when UF faces Free Shoes or somebody’s playing da U. We’re getting a lot of pity these days, but it’s normally laced with comments about who’s bright idea this was. We’re rivaling da U right now for sympathy votes.
No, we're not. That's just silly talk. You and your friends need to up your conversation game if that's the level of discussion.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why wouldn't CGC just wait a few years and get a huge payday then get a demotion to UF's DC?
If he was worried about Tech financials and his career, I would think he would restructure his contract in order to attract / pay new coordinators.
Sometimes I wonder where these thoughts even come from. That makes absolutely zero sense.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
First, please don’t shoot the Messenger, this comes from a guy who played for UF and is still friends with his QB from that team. The Qb does a local Gameday show, so he is connected…..

Word is that UF really wants to bring back cgc to be DC and are willing to do what it takes to get him out of his GT contract. I’m not saying that this is going to happen, but just that UF wants him back. Yes I know nobody is really going to want to take a step back from HC to DC. IF we only win 3 games this year I could see him on the hot seat next year due to the preseason ajc article about winning now. He could leave that way he isn’t fired from his dream job and could help GT out financially since UF would pay money for him to get out of his contract.
Honestly, this seems very unlikely, but would be a win win for everyone. CGC is clearly a good coordinator so UF solves their defensive issues. We are cash strapped so that helps us in that department. It also gives CGC a chance to hit reset and prepare more fully for a HC position.

I hate you for making me hope in something so unlikely. (I don't actually hate you)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Honestly, this seems very unlikely, but would be a win win for everyone. CGC is clearly a good coordinator so UF solves their defensive issues. We are cash strapped so that helps us in that department. It also gives CGC a chance to hit reset and prepare more fully for a HC position.

I hate you for making me hope in something so unlikely. (I don't actually hate you)
Predicting an exact person into an exact slot that’s not currently open makes it a low percentage deal, but the general concept is fairly sound making it possible, not probable. You think about the possible outcomes:

a. Light comes on, he gets good corrdinators & GT starts winning 10 games per year, becomes dominant, retires here & gets a statue
b. He regresses to the mean (7 wins) or slightly under, stays a decade and deep seated apathy sets in, replaced & lot of rear view mirror you could see it coming a decade ago comments emerge
c. We stay mired in the 3-5 win category, an occasional upset of someone like Free Shoes, daU or Unc, not sure when the rip cord gets pulled
d. He jumps ship while the gettin’s good and gets tutored at a factory. My guess is the top tier P5 positions are out of reach, maybe a place like UCF
e. Takes over a program like UAB, Southern Miss, etc once GT’s buyout gets reasonable.

That’s about where he’s sitting. People forget this is a business, not a hobby.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Predicting an exact person into an exact slot that’s not currently open makes it a low percentage deal, but the general concept is fairly sound making it possible, not probable. You think about the possible outcomes:

a. Light comes on, he gets good corrdinators & GT starts winning 10 games per year, becomes dominant, retires here & gets a statue
b. He regresses to the mean (7 wins) or slightly under, stays a decade and deep seated apathy sets in, replaced & lot of rear view mirror you could see it coming a decade ago comments emerge
c. We stay mired in the 3-5 win category, an occasional upset of someone like Free Shoes, daU or Unc, not sure when the rip cord gets pulled
d. He jumps ship while the gettin’s good and gets tutored at a factory. My guess is the top tier P5 positions are out of reach, maybe a place like UCF
e. Takes over a program like UAB, Southern Miss, etc once GT’s buyout gets reasonable.

That’s about where he’s sitting. People forget this is a business, not a hobby.
B should be improves to the mean, can't regress to something he's never sniffed in the first place.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Lord have mercy. This thread may have the most DAF post I've seen in quite a while. You want to see what scorched earth looks like in a football program? Given the current status quo, make a change at HC this year. Unless something really crazy happens, (ie with cause) CGC has AT THE VERY LEAST, two more years after this one. Probably better at this stage to get behind him and support him to help his recruiting efforts than spreading BS rumors that don't.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You can be a fan of a sports team or an institution and yet still have a strong dislike for the coaching staff. I'm not sure why you keep denigrating the fan base just because they don't all think exactly like you do...
He'd rather be the only fan in the stadium than have a fanbase that doesn't blindly support everything.

Edit - on a related note, #1 fan ColoradoJacket appears to have been banned.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is one of the dumbest rumors I have ever heard.
Collins has a fully guaranteed $23M contract. If he is fired before season 5 he gets every penny of that $23M.
If anyone thinks a person is going to give up $14M of guaranteed money for an approx $1M contract that won't be guaranteed, that is the most irrational thinking i've ever seen.

Also, taking a demotion from an HC job to a DC job is not going to make it more likely he will get hired for an HC job in the future, just the opposite.

There is literally no scenario where this makes sense as a move for Collins. He gets alot less money (which negatively impacts his family) for a less secure job with lower pay and it hurts his long term chances of being a HC.

Fans may be frustrated with Collins but this is simply not rational thinking.
Collins may or may not succeed here, but he is going to be given alot of rope to see. The money men wanted him hired, they will not be quick to get him canned (no one likes to admit they made a mistake, if that is ultimately what Collins will be, which we do not know yet).