No Quit

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
There is absolutely no quit in this team. We had 3 db's sprinting all out on their 91 yard to run with basically no chance of making a play. We found a way to score 15 points in the last minute or two, recovered an onside kick, and attempted another.

If somehow we figure out a way to end the season with 1 loss then those final 15 points will prove huge with the pollsters.

We sucked yesterday and it stings but a lesser team would've mailed it in in the 4th quarter. We did not.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree 100% about the effort. You have to love that. It says a lot about our kids and it bodes well. They have won games recently under similar circumstances (UGA), so this comeback will also pay dividends the next time we are behind late. I have every confidence we will play well under adverse score and clock situations.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've seen games where we dominate for 2-3 quarters and then cave in the 4th to lose. We've now seen Our Team play a game where the other team completely dominated us for 3 quarters but SOMEHOW we found something inside that kept us from quitting. It was not pretty but I expect things to improve. #TogetherWeSwarm

Declinometer

Banned
There is absolutely no quit in this team. We had 3 db's sprinting all out on their 91 yard to run with basically no chance of making a play. We found a way to score 15 points in the last minute or two, recovered an onside kick, and attempted another.

If somehow we figure out a way to end the season with 1 loss then those final 15 points will prove huge with the pollsters.

We sucked yesterday and it stings but a lesser team would've mailed it in in the 4th quarter. We did not.

Raises a question...the first on side kick was successful, why didn't we execute the second like the first? Meaning why fake right and go left when the first went perfectly?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I was a little disappointed in the long TD run. I know our D was gassed, but I thought some of our guys gave up on the pursuit.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
Raises another question. Why the lack of urgency on the next to last drive? Took several minutes off the clock, didn't rush to the line, many running plays. I didn't get it. It was like the staff was throwing in the towel. The kids fought to the end. I didn't think the offensive coaching staff gave our kids a chance to pull one out there at the end.

And agree with the poster above; wasn't sure why we tried a different onside kick at the end. It was like we over coached all game long.

slugboy

Staff member
Raises a question...the first on side kick was successful, why didn't we execute the second like the first? Meaning why fake right and go left when the first went perfectly?
ND was ready for an onside--what stopped us the second time wasn't the type of kick, but the fact that they blocked well. It's hard for me to think of a time that a team successfully executed two onside kicks in the last two minutes of a game. Someday, someone will, but the odds are really low.
Maybe we could have bounced a kick off one of the ND front line, but I could see the kick we called working if we beat the block, and I can see any other play either succeeding or failing.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Raises another question. Why the lack of urgency on the next to last drive? Took several minutes off the clock, didn't rush to the line, many running plays. I didn't get it. It was like the staff was throwing in the towel. The kids fought to the end. I didn't think the offensive coaching staff gave our kids a chance to pull one out there at the end.

And agree with the poster above; wasn't sure why we tried a different onside kick at the end. It was like we over coached all game long.

This is actually a recurring observation I have under Johnson - critical lack of urgency late in games where we are trailing but within reach.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was a little disappointed in the long TD run. I know our D was gassed, but I thought some of our guys gave up on the pursuit.
No give up. Roof just put us (again) in that special "Elon 90 yard TD" pressure D with no deep safeties. Hope he learns. Same for third and long. Bring the pressure, otherwise samo-samo.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
we had a chance for the score to be as ugly as the game--but didn't allow it to be
hope that bodes well for future,we sure have some improving to do to even to get to 8-4 ,starting this wk (we will be underdogs to at least 4 games at this point)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

I believe the goal at the start of that drive (under 6 mins. maybe?) was to go down and get one score to make it respectable. Nothing led me (or probably coach) to believe we would put together three miracle drives in 4 or 5 minutes. When we finally punched it in, of course we were going to onside kick, then a couple of big plays and it looks like we could have done it the whole time. But that wasn't the reality.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What was the deal with the catch in the endzone that was called back? Was that a bogus call, too?
If you're talking about the Stewart catch then they ruled that it hit the ground. It appears that he caught it but did not have complete control & the ball may have touched the ground. Also defender on his back may have had a hand in there.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah on Stewart's catch I thought he had his hand under the ball the whole time. I washopiing the replay officials would side with us on at least one call but no it was not going to happen on that day. You talk about Luck of the Irish, I think they get a lot of help with that luck. We played our worst game since Duke last year and still had a chance. We had too many self inflicted wounds to overcome the combination of good Notre Dame play and having the zebras in their corner. You can't put yourself in that position when you play in South Bend. I think you will see a better effort and result this coming weekend.

Go Jackets!