no no huddle?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I guess I am curious about the lack of no huddle this weekend. I figured coming through the first 3 games that we were just saving it for ACC play. Now, after watching us not use it again against VT I am wondering what the story is..

I know in the past CPJ has made trolling statements about the pistol etc to get defensive coordinators stuck focusing on preventing something we were never actually going to do.. Wonder if the non huddle is the same way, or if he just felt like (based on the way the game was going) that we wouldn't get the impact from it that he wanted..

Other thing I really thought was interesting was the changing defense Teddy put out on the field. Was happy to see him switch it up and bring some heavier pressure from the MLB and flats too as the game went on. Seemed to me like our scheme coming into the game was working (bend don't break) early but needed to be ratcheted up for 3 and 4Qs. I thought he did well to make incremental changes as the game went on to not allow a big blow up play while switching gears.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think the way the game went it wasn't needed. VT was really mixing things up on D and we were making some mistakes, so it probably wasn't a good idea to go with the hurry up. Our S spent a lot of time on the field as well. I think we will see it at some point. My guess is we will see it in games where we have worn the D down and we do it to keep them from subbing.

VT won the TOP FWIW.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Paul would go no huddle if we could not move the ball or they were jumping gaps real bad.
The team moved the ball, we just got stuck in some 1st and longs (penalties) and stopped a few times on 3rd and short.

Paul wants to things, to give the Defense a rest and to keep the score in hand. Most of the game, more possessions would have given an advantage to VT.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
yeah I don't disagree that we probably were better off having not ran it, just an observation and wondering how much we will see it this season..

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As he has also pointed out, the no-huddle is a two edged sword. True, it can tire out the opposing D. It can - and does - also tire out your own O. If and only if you continue to make first downs is this something you should try. I would suppose that Coach thought that was a losing proposition against the Turkies. They probably have the best D we'll play all season.

Also, if there's one thing Coach knows how to do, it's wait. He won't show a single card until it seems like the right time to do it. I suspect there'll be a game where things are close and all of a sudden we'll go no-huddle for a half. That should be fun.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Justin Thomas will be ABSOLUTELY devastating in a no-huddle. Imagine a speed option right with option to throw, run, or pitch. Then flip the play and run it again fast. Then again. Then flip it and run again. JT can't be expected to do that all game, but it would absolutely devastate a defense, especially one that's got minimal depth to work with (like Duke).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Justin Thomas will be ABSOLUTELY devastating in a no-huddle. Imagine a speed option right with option to throw, run, or pitch. Then flip the play and run it again fast. Then again. Then flip it and run again. JT can't be expected to do that all game, but it would absolutely devastate a defense, especially one that's got minimal depth to work with (like Duke).

Yeah, I think we'll use it against Duke. Tulane went up tempo on them running the ball and forced Cut to call a TimeOut

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not really a surprise factor, it's a simple fatigue factor. Unlike most no-huddles, ours also is mentally fatiguing because on the fifth no-huddle play, what college player is going to remember his assignment? "Do I have the QB or the pitch man? Or was I supposed to fall back into zone coverage and spy the QB? Or maybe I had the B-Back?"

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure, but against some teams, I want quick scores to get them off their game. Against UGA for example I want a quick 2 possession lead so that Bobo feels obliged to live vicariously through Hutson Mason and we win the game by keeping Gurley on the bench (which UGA seems all too happy to do.) Then, once they are pass happy, we can grind the clock.

TechPhi97

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I am curious about the lack of no huddle this weekend. I figured coming through the first 3 games that we were just saving it for ACC play. Now, after watching us not use it again against VT I am wondering what the story is..

I know in the past CPJ has made trolling statements about the pistol etc to get defensive coordinators stuck focusing on preventing something we were never actually going to do.. Wonder if the non huddle is the same way, or if he just felt like (based on the way the game was going) that we wouldn't get the impact from it that he wanted..

Other thing I really thought was interesting was the changing defense Teddy put out on the field. Was happy to see him switch it up and bring some heavier pressure from the MLB and flats too as the game went on. Seemed to me like our scheme coming into the game was working (bend don't break) early but needed to be ratcheted up for 3 and 4Qs. I thought he did well to make incremental changes as the game went on to not allow a big blow up play while switching gears.

Honestly, I thought one of the most interesting things about the game (at least in the first half, before my kids starting distracting me) was that we didn't run our usual A-Back motion. We totally changed how we go into our offense, and I thought it did wonders for keeping VT at bay. Am I crazy, or did others see this?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree, TechPhi. We got away from the speed sweeps in the direction of the motion, which I believe VPI keyed on last year. I actually think the QB draw was there a lot more, but we only ran 1 that I can remember. I think PJ knows, as well as most of us, that he has to limit how many big hits JT takes. We did a couple of option plays where Laskey was the pitchman, and that worked great also, but it prevented VPI from guessing which direction based on motion of the A backs.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think PJ showed his hand on this question on last week's radio show. He said that he had wanted to run the no-huddle against Ga Southern and would like to try it out against VT, but might not. Then he said something close to "when you are struggling on defense, and we are, you want to limit the other team's possessions. "

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
The thing I was hoping for more than the no huddle was the change of snap count several times (hopefully WE didn't get burned so we would go on first sound before the A-Back went into motion, or we waited until he was past the normal spot and allow him to counter back, QB follow, or swing pass to him) so we can force the D-Lineman to jump offsides.

The no huddle wouldn't NECESSARILY be a fast-paced offense for us but a way to keep opposing defenses from changing out personnel and not being able to jump snap counts so easily as they won't be sure about when the play will be snapped as we will have more time on the play clock to snap the ball because a player isn't running the call in from the sidelines, which could waste several seconds, especially if the team is at the end of the field.