No athletics activities on Election Day

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
We need to recognize the language in the announcement, "not hold mandatory athletic activities on Election Day". How many athletes would miss a non-mandatory activity?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I heard CJP on the radio this morning talking about it. I think it was a player who put the bug in Reveno's ear but he really has been trying to champion it nationwide. Since it had been brought up through the AA multiple teams have jumped on in support. Keep in mind with CGC that we play Duke that Saturday. Sacrificing a day of prep is a big deal. It's not for show. CJP did also talk about making sure they help players with knowing how to register beforehand.

As for pushing players to vote or vote a certain way, get out of town with that unless you can actually show some sort of evidence to this effect. The number of SAs who would end up voting who wouldn't otherwise is a trivial percentage of the voting public.

What we are seeing is a lot of evidence that our athletic programs are actively engaging with our SAs and helping support their own initiatives, and everyone involved has expressed nothing but gratitude and unity from top to bottom. We are way ahead of the curve because of the culture of our athletic programs being established before COVID-19 and George Floyd's death.

Deleted member 2897

I heard CJP on the radio this morning talking about it. I think it was a player who put the bug in Reveno's ear but he really has been trying to champion it nationwide. Since it had been brought up through the AA multiple teams have jumped on in support. Keep in mind with CGC that we play Duke that Saturday. Sacrificing a day of prep is a big deal. It's not for show. CJP did also talk about making sure they help players with knowing how to register beforehand.

As for pushing players to vote or vote a certain way, get out of town with that unless you can actually show some sort of evidence to this effect. The number of SAs who would end up voting who wouldn't otherwise is a trivial percentage of the voting public.

What we are seeing is a lot of evidence that our athletic programs are actively engaging with our SAs and helping support their own initiatives, and everyone involved has expressed nothing but gratitude and unity from top to bottom. We are way ahead of the curve because of the culture of our athletic programs being established before COVID-19 and George Floyd's death.

These activities and perspectives will get attention across the country. I am proud of how well our coaches connect to this generation. It’s not an easy thing to do. They seem to be exceedingly good at it. Life is tough at Tech - anything you can do provide love, respect, and a sense of purpose is always a good thing.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a big deal. We have to realize that there have unfortunately been violent protests in Atlanta. I think it’s GREAT to emphasize to these kids the RIGHT way to make your voices heard, regardless of your beliefs. It would matter regardless, but I think it’s an even bigger deal considering the city we are located in has had its fair share of the wrong way to go about change recently. I think this is great. And prep for Duke won’t be hurt. That can be worked around.

Also, FWIW, I’ll sacrifice a win to the football gods if it means young folks learn the importance of going about the right way to be heard. However, it’s NOT going to come to that. We’ll adjust the schedule. If we lose to Duke, it won’t be because of this. Lol

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a big deal. We have to realize that there have unfortunately been violent protests in Atlanta. I think it’s GREAT to emphasize to these kids the RIGHT way to make your voices heard, regardless of your beliefs. It would matter regardless, but I think it’s an even bigger deal considering the city we are located in has had its fair share of the wrong way to go about change recently. I think this is great. And prep for Duke won’t be hurt. That can be worked around.

Also, FWIW, I’ll sacrifice a win to the football gods if it means young folks learn the importance of going about the right way to be heard. However, it’s NOT going to come to that. We’ll adjust the schedule. If we lose to Duke, it won’t be because of this. Lol

Maybe a 9th grade Civics class would help them while growing up.

This a positive move publicity wise but maybe as part of frosh orientation the mechanics of absentee ballots could be discussed.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Just a question.. does it really take all day to vote? Can’t we just give the morning off? I vote every year, and maybe I have been lucky, but it hasn’t taken me any More then 20 minutes to complete. (Different towns/cities and states over many years)

However, it makes sense if the athletes have to travel back to their hometown.. and also it may be the symbolic nature of things.

There are HUGE differences in voting times from location to location. (There are theories about why and whether that may be intentional, but I will not get into that.) Case in point, my neighbor just returned from voting today in the Poncey-Highland area. Took her 4 hours. Reports are that it took people doing early voting yesterday up to almost 6 hours in some locations. I really hope that we can get it down to 20 minutes for everyone. That would be great!

savjacket9

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the voting disaster today in Atlanta should be enough that everyone should be on the side of giving SA (and I think the whole student body) the day off to vote in November. While it shouldn't take all day to vote, issues seem to continue to arise and cause long lines, especially in locations with a large population and limited voting machines.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
upload_2020-6-9_17-11-54.jpeg

Did I miss something, is black now a official color for GT. If so, is it a secondary color?

There are HUGE differences in voting times from location to location. (There are theories about why and whether that may be intentional, but I will not get into that.) Case in point, my neighbor just returned from voting today in the Poncey-Highland area. Took her 4 hours. Reports are that it took people doing early voting yesterday up to almost 6 hours in some locations. I really hope that we can get it down to 20 minutes for everyone. That would be great!
I feel for you guys living in Atlanta. It took me a total of 20 minutes to get in, vote, and get out at my precinct today in Augusta. And that is usually the case and why I never use absentee ballots.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel for you guys living in Atlanta. It took me a total of 20 minutes to get in, vote, and get out at my precinct today in Augusta. And that is usually the case and why I never use absentee ballots.
It was busier today for me (east Atlanta) but it was still ~20 minutes which isn't bad. They definitely need to get some commercial printers for the new system though. Mine ran out of paper and I know that was the cause of some of the delays while I was there.

It was busier today for me (east Atlanta) but it was still ~20 minutes which isn't bad. They definitely need to get some commercial printers for the new system though. Mine ran out of paper and I know that was the cause of some of the delays while I was there.
I was pretty much stunned with the new system, and fortunately it worked perfectly, at least while I was there.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 8407
Did I miss something, is black now a official color for GT. If so, is it a secondary color?

The people claiming the players aren’t being urged to vote a certain way are being naive. We have coaches clearly pushing an agenda on social media. The timing of this is not coincidental either and the black background you mentioned is not unintentional.

It may be the right thing to do, but their is clearly an agenda being pushed.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
The people claiming the players aren’t being urged to vote a certain way are being naive. We have coaches clearly pushing an agenda on social media. The timing of this is not coincidental either and the black background you mentioned is not unintentional.

Does GT really know what agenda( I’m not talking about D vs R) they are pushing? I’m really hope they are clueless to the agenda

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Boaty, would you have been persuaded to vote a certain way in college just because a coach urged you too? I suspect not. Then why do you assume the players cannot think for themselves like you could? I am pretty sure they can. They are all Tech men and women and I have faith they can think for themselves. (Same way I felt when CPJ was coach, who obviously had a different political view.)

Also, while it is pretty clear many of the coaches have a certain view on racial justice, I would be careful assuming that means they all have a particular political persuasion. I would hope that particular issue would broadly transcend the political divide.