NLRB to allow Players' Unions at private universities (LINK)

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
ESPN LINK

And you thought N-I-L was gonna be bad?

This has been tried (& failed) at Florida about 1970 when the Gators' star players QB John Reaves & WR Carlos Alvarez et al tried to organize under HFC Doug Dickey. Mostly it was the players recruited by Ray Graves who rebelled vs Dickey, himself a former Gator.

It was NOT pretty.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
It appears that this is an advisory opinion and not a settled regulation, but I can't imagine anything good coming from this. I think between the transfer portal, NIL and this, the world of college sports is changing rapidly and I'm not sure if it is something that will maintain a lot of people's interest as it becomes more and more like professional sports. Was talking to someone this weekend who mentioned how if Alabama needs a left tackle or center or tailback, they can just find the best one available in the transfer portal for the next year. The recruits that don't work out will transfer out and the best players at other schools will try to transfer in. I think their top LB and one other player are from Tennessee and another school this year.

Seems like it will just make a bad situation worse and if they are allowed to collectively bargain and, potentially, strike, I can't imagine that would go over well at a lot of places. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It appears that this is an advisory opinion and not a settled regulation, but I can't imagine anything good coming from this. I think between the transfer portal, NIL and this, the world of college sports is changing rapidly and I'm not sure if it is something that will maintain a lot of people's interest as it becomes more and more like professional sports. Was talking to someone this weekend who mentioned how if Alabama needs a left tackle or center or tailback, they can just find the best one available in the transfer portal for the next year. The recruits that don't work out will transfer out and the best players at other schools will try to transfer in. I think their top LB and one other player are from Tennessee and another school this year.

Seems like it will just make a bad situation worse and if they are allowed to collectively bargain and, potentially, strike, I can't imagine that would go over well at a lot of places. Will be interesting to see where this goes.
College football and basketball have basically been pro sports since 2000 when the tv dollars started really pouring into the power 5. Now that there is going to be a power 2 it’s going to suck even more. You think the ACC is bad right now or better yet you get upset about our ability to compete with UGA just wait until the SEC starts making twice as much as the ACC off of TV alone. It’s going to be like minor league baseball

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
ESPN LINK

And you thought N-I-L was gonna be bad?

This has been tried (& failed) at Florida about 1970 when the Gators' star players QB John Reaves & WR Carlos Alvarez et al tried to organize under HFC Doug Dickey. Mostly it was the players recruited by Ray Graves who rebelled vs Dickey, himself a former Gator.

It was NOT pretty.
This is bad?