NIU HC Breaks Down Upset

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I remember UCF last year. It was obvious that they were playing at a much higher pace than we were capable of matching from a mental prep standpoint. They were getting lined up and running plays while we were still trying to figure out what was going on. This is/was <apparently> just another example of us operating at a slower (OODA) Observe, Orient, Decide, Act cycle than our opposition. That's a bad thing in all forms of competition.

Good point with the OODA loop. Maybe we could get some operators out of Benning or Stewart to come in and give a class to the coaching staff....

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Think I know who the first on the chopping block is going to be. Where is the minister of mayhem? If you are supposed to be a Defensive guy and your defense can’t figure out how to sub properly some heads need to roll.

Just plain out coached.

Where are the sacks, strips, INTs? We hear about them but never seem to make them.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Think I know who the first on the chopping block is going to be. Where is the minister of mayhem? If you are supposed to be a Defensive guy and your defense can’t figure out how to sub properly some heads need to roll.
Frankly I'm questioning whether Collins knows much of anything about actual football or management beyond being a cheerleader. It seems he took the fake it until you make it approach, except everyone know's he's faking it at this point.

Can someone point out an area of the team or an individual player who has actually improved under Collins? I can't think of a single one. The defense is no better, and largely worse since he took over. Offense is far worse. Special teams are worse. No qb's have been developed at all, secondary has been stagnant or worsened over the past three years despite having the same players. LBs, WRs, DL all no better. OL have gotten better at this blocking scheme, but still can't do their jobs well and I'd say PJ had a more effective OL for what he was asking them to do. RB room is great , but 2 of the 3 playing were PJ recruits and we were never in bad shape there to begin with.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Just plain out coached.

Where are the sacks, strips, INTs? We hear about them but never seem to make them.
We did have one strip which got us a TO but yes we saw practically no pressure from the front 7 in the form of blitzes or assaults on the QB from our DL.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Just plain out coached.

I agree the defensive coaches are a joke. But the problem now is who in their right mind who want to come and work for a head coach that ain't won 30% of his games

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly I'm questioning whether Collins knows much of anything about actual football or management beyond being a cheerleader. It seems he took the fake it until you make it approach, except everyone know's he's faking it at this point.

Can someone point out an area of the team or an individual player who has actually improved under Collins? I can't think of a single one. The defense is no better, and largely worse since he took over. Offense is far worse. Special teams are worse. No qb's have been developed at all, secondary has been stagnant or worsened over the past three years despite having the same players. LBs, WRs, DL all no better. OL have gotten better at this blocking scheme, but still can't do their jobs well and I'd say PJ had a more effective OL for what he was asking them to do. RB room is great , but 2 of the 3 playing were PJ recruits and we were never in bad shape there to begin with.
Well we got some guys drafted who are mostly on practice squads…. Because this staff knows how to prepare guys at a high level. Smdh.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I love the idea that "lining up in 22 and running iso" is a Unique look for the defensive mastermind.
Here is the charitable view. CGC didn’t want to throw his DC and coordinator under the bus so he used a euphemism. Question is did he call his staff into his office the next day for a good chewing out. I have yet to see any anger or fire from CGC in that regard.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan

As I mentioned on another post, this team reminds me a lot of the Gailey years maybe even worse. There are higher ranked players, but are not coached up at all. I was such a huge CPJ fan and supporter because everyone knew his offense can score regardless of what Tech's defense was like.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As I mentioned on another post, this team reminds me a lot of the Gailey years maybe even worse. There are higher ranked players, but are not coached up at all. I was such a huge CPJ fan and supporter because everyone knew his offense can score regardless of what Tech's defense was like.
Gailey’s teams were mediocre at worst, with some bright spots, but not bottom of the barrel terrible the way this team has been.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
We did have one strip which got us a TO but yes we saw practically no pressure from the front 7 in the form of blitzes or assaults on the QB from our DL.

That was the one series that made me think "OK, we shook out the cobwebs. We are playing like we are supposed to now"...and then we stopped doing that and went back to letting them march down the length of the field.