NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I would suggest you look at a rankings panel more relevant and data-focused than USN&WR. While it's nice to rank highly by this group, their criteria for determining where someone sits is arbitrary and, at times, non-sensical.

I agree that many of these academic rankings are not as data based as we would like. The major point I was trying to make was that some broad-based Universities are still highly ranked Academically. Many Tech people seem to think TECH will lose its academic reputation if we make some significant curriculum additions. Personally, I do not believe that is the case even if Calculus and two Lab Sciences were not required in every Major.

I did look at the Forbes ranking as well as US News. Any others you would recommend, I would like to take a look.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree that many of these academic rankings are not as data based as we would like. The major point I was trying to make was that some broad-based Universities are still highly ranked Academically. Many Tech people seem to think TECH will lose its academic reputation if we make some significant curriculum additions. Personally, I do not believe that is the case even if Calculus and two Lab Sciences were not required in every Major.

I did look at the Forbes ranking as well as US News. Any others you would recommend, I would like to take a look.
Chronicle of Higher Education

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech University would sound fine to me.

Academic Expansion with a larger range of Majors would likely be the only way to have the kind of Highly competitive Sports program many of us would like.
Tech has always been more rigorous academically than many of the schools on our schedule and, hopefully, that will always be the case. Most college athletes will not earn their living in professional sports, so a solid education is very important. That said, Tech grads can be found anywhere and they can get there with a Tech undergraduate degree. In addition to work in their undergraduate majors, they go on to become doctors, lawyers, educators, you name it. Hard work is essential on the athlete field and in the classroom.

Tech will never become a UGA, with majors to fill every niche, many of which prepare its grads for little or nothing of value. Those athletes who want that will not come to Tech no matter what. We just need to recruit nationally, cast a broad net geographically, to get the few, the proud, the Tech athlete. The academics are in place. We just need to show we have a football program with quality coaches and facilities and that fiercely competes and prepares athletes for professional careers, if they want it and if they have the talent and skills.

Everyone wants to be part of a winner. Every Tech grad is proud of his/her academic accomplishment. Resurrect a quality football program and recruiting will become much easier.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech has always been more rigorous academically than many of the schools on our schedule and, hopefully, that will always be the case. Most college athletes will not earn their living in professional sports, so a solid education is very important. That said, Tech grads can be found anywhere and they can get there with a Tech undergraduate degree. In addition to work in their undergraduate majors, they go on to become doctors, lawyers, educators, you name it. Hard work is essential on the athlete field and in the classroom.

Tech will never become a UGA, with majors to fill every niche, many of which prepare its grads for little or nothing of value. Those athletes who want that will not come to Tech no matter what. We just need to recruit nationally, cast a broad net geographically, to get the few, the proud, the Tech athlete. The academics are in place. We just need to show we have a football program with quality coaches and facilities and that fiercely competes and prepares athletes for professional careers, if they want it and if they have the talent and skills.

Everyone wants to be part of a winner. Every Tech grad is proud of his/her academic accomplishment. Resurrect a quality football program and recruiting will become much easier.

I definitely agree with your thoughts on more National Recruiting. Due to the larger pool, we should have better odds to find students who are qualified and want the Academic Rigor plus Football.

Please understand that I am as proud of our Academic Rigor as anyone. I remember the Saturday Classes, Drown Proofing, 3 to 6 Labs, etc I managed to "GET OUT" after 13 Quarters.

However, I do believe that Tech could add a couple of majors that might be a little more appealing to our Student-Athletes. We currently have a Minor in the Business School called Sports, Society, and Technology (It may be Sports, Culture ,and Technology?) Could that evolve into a full major without hurting our reputation? I believe I have read in the Alumni Magazine that
AD Homer Rice had lobbied the Administration for this addition during his Tenure.

As you say, I am sure Many of us want a competitive Sports program. I think many of us may be a little too Patient due to the Academic requirements.

I am most pleased to Hear President Cabrera express his Strong Support for Athletics. Hopefully, he will follow through.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Nobody wants gt to have "majors to fill every niche

This is a straw man = fake assertion .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I get frustrated w guys who think we are still in Dodd era.

The gtaa has had legendary leadership - Hiesman, Dodd, Broyles, Rice. - each has a national award presented in their name to honor their accomplishments at ga tech football.

The recent Prez have not strongly asked the BOR that gt have classes mirroring the accomplishments of these legends .

Sure seems like a tech oriented sports management degree could be arranged w cooperation of emory, ga state and ga tech.

ALL Sport have become much more technical, safety concious, and analytical. Gt - ATL could lead the way.

Hope Angel is a creative leader.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I get frustrated w guys who think we are still in Dodd era.

The gtaa has had legendary leadership - Hiesman, Dodd, Broyles, Rice. - each has a national award presented in their name to honor their accomplishments at ga tech football.

The recent Prez have not strongly asked the BOR that gt have classes mirroring the accomplishments of these legends .

Sure seems like a tech oriented sports management degree could be arranged w cooperation of emory, ga state and ga tech.

ALL Sport have become much more technical, safety concious, and analytical. Gt - ATL could lead the way.

Hope Angel is a creative leader.
GIFs-2022122855732.gif

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The only metric that needs to be looked at is salary- starting, 5 yr, 10 yr, peak earnings.

Money talks, bull**** walks, If companies are willing to pay for it or you can make it your own, that's value. Everything else is crap.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Putting this under the football section, even though Charles is more basketball related.

Hard for me to disagree...

NIL is creating a chasm between a handful of teams and everybody else when it comes to paying players..

He echoes a lot of what's already been said about NIL, which may turn out to be true, but it seems like an odd time to highlight it when the Final Four includes SDSU and FAU. And a lot of the big programs who would exploit NIL (UK, KU, Duke, UNC) all underwhelmed.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I do agree with him on the surface, I really hate NIL and the optics of it all. But on the other hand duke, unc, (in basketball) etc were always paying to get the elite players in one way or another, NIL just made the playing field more level and got it all out in the open.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On the other hand Miami is one of the biggest NIL schools in both football and basketball.

On the Miami BB team Nigel Pack has a 2-yr $800K NIL deal and Isiah Wong has a 1-yr $400K plus a car NIL deal.

There will be times that it works and times that it doesn't.
NIL does move college athletics further away from what it was originally and closer to what it has been for the last few decades - which is basically professional sports with just loose attachments to Universities and education.

I also don't believe it levels the playing field in any significant way. The schools that have the largest NIL's are likely to be mostly large schools with a significant number of deep pocketed fans and alumni who are willing to spend large sums of money on individuals that have no guaranteed rate of return.

I also don't think any action will be taken to reign it in or set guardrails on it unless the blue bloods start feeling it is becoming a negative to them winning at the same rate, if that happens then you will see quick action to put guard rails on it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand Miami is one of the biggest NIL schools in both football and basketball.

On the Miami BB team Nigel Pack has a 2-yr $800K NIL deal and Isiah Wong has a 1-yr $400K plus a car NIL deal.

There will be times that it works and times that it doesn't.
NIL does move college athletics further away from what it was originally and closer to what it has been for the last few decades - which is basically professional sports with just loose attachments to Universities and education.

I also don't believe it levels the playing field in any significant way. The schools that have the largest NIL's are likely to be mostly large schools with a significant number of deep pocketed fans and alumni who are willing to spend large sums of money on individuals that have no guaranteed rate of return.

I also don't think any action will be taken to reign it in or set guardrails on it unless the blue bloods start feeling it is becoming a negative to them winning at the same rate, if that happens then you will see quick action to put guard rails on it.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on what kinds of guardrails would be effective yet allow players to capitalize on their images and likenesses.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NIL evens the playing field in terms of ALL schools being able to "participate" SA compensation. It's not a secret that some schools (namely the factory schools) had a way to compensate their SAs through a shadow system set up over many years. Alabama has/had the notorious "Mobile money people" that was a pipeline of player payments for decades, Duke was housing SAs and their parents in an affluent neighborhood in Durham (among other things), and there are many other stories. Now EVERYONE can do all of that in the open, and a school like GT won't get an ACC Championship vacated over T Shirts (yes, I know we got in trouble for obstruction, but it all started with stupid TShirts).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ask Chuck if he got paid to go to auburn. NIL ain't perfect but college sports left amateurism long ago.
I had the same question. Maybe he really believes it was “more pure” back in his day but 60 Minutes supposedly has the reputation of asking tough questions. “So, Mr Barkley, what were you promised when you chose Auburn and was there any compensation of any kind?”

Maybe he’s telling the truth. I have no information one way or the other.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
NIL evens the playing field in terms of ALL schools being able to "participate" SA compensation. It's not a secret that some schools (namely the factory schools) had a way to compensate their SAs through a shadow system set up over many years. Alabama has/had the notorious "Mobile money people" that was a pipeline of player payments for decades, Duke was housing SAs and their parents in an affluent neighborhood in Durham (among other things), and there are many other stories. Now EVERYONE can do all of that in the open, and a school like GT won't get an ACC Championship vacated over T Shirts (yes, I know we got in trouble for obstruction, but it all started with stupid TShirts).
But I think the factories could have done more previously and didn't for fear of getting reckless and being caught (what little fear they might have had). Now they can deploy more capital and more influence legally, and they will. If anything, I think it has created an environment where every D-1 prospect expects to get something. When there were rules, lower to middling players would still talk to schools who followed rules and didn't pay... now those guys are leaving or looking for a better deal if a school doesn't come up with NIL (or enough NIL). I'm guessing that a 2nd or 3rd conversation isn't happening for a lot of recruits if the 1st convo doesn't lay out the prospect of compensation.

I don't see the field as leveled, its just that the whole thing moved into daylight.