Nick Saban

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I thought about this after the firing of Lane Kiffin. Just say, hypothetically speaking, if Saban or any other great recruiter came to Tech. Would they be able to consistantly put us in the top 5-10 in recruiting, given the limitations associated with the school?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Of course not.

You do not have to go to real classes at Bama, that means kids who barely learned to read can still go there. And the top athletes as a group have more academic lightweights among them.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't really care what system coaches run, they are judged by wins and losses.

The point is the school by and large determines what kind of athletes get recruited. Also, Saban plays the overcommitment game to its most extreme degree, he can practice year round (again the players do not have to take real classes, this is not an exaggeration), they hire high school coaches left and right to get recruits, the boosters hand stacks of cash to kids in the trailers after each game . . . basically that place is synonymous with everything that is wrong with the college football culture.

So what part of all that do you think Saban can bring with him to Tech?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
They need to investigate these schools, and lay the hammer down. Or let the schools that play by the rules do the same thing. We had to forfeit the ACC championship over what, a thousand dollars or something like that. Boosters don't give a lot of money to teams with little success. Start looking where teams that are dominating first.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
True, the NCAA has a terrible rep for good reason. On the academic tricks schools play, UNC is a good case that was made pretty public.

Here is the basic scenario, athletes are allowed (reasonably b/c of practice scheduling) to register first among students. They are told which, or at least a certain few, classes they should register for. Lo and behold that class fills up with only athletes as it is a 15 max capacity class, or some such. Then the class itself is taught as a total joke. The NCAA sees it as just an internal school issue, wholly academic because the classes were technically "open" to all students (doesn't matter if they miraculously end up filled with athletes). See the trick?

This is s.o.p. at the factories and many of the other big state schools, I am highly confident of that. Only about 7-8 years after the Jan Kemp scandal rocked UGA that school was following this exact approach I just described and I am sure always has and will continue to do so. I know someone who had a disability (eyesight) and so while at UGA was given the same priority to register first as athletes had. He happened to end up registering for one of these courses for athletes and I won't go into detail here but the class was a complete joke and the athletes could earn high marks while doing literally no work. (This is wholly separate from the Harrick scandal).

Now . . . I do think that head coaches at Tech can be held responsible for how they handle recruiting HERE, and can be judged as improving, declining, good/bad. I just think such an evaluation is more imprecise and impressionistic here than it is at a school that operates like a Bama. There you can just look at overall rankings and know if the coach is doing well.