Nick Marshall

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've read in several places that Nick Marshall was a "silent commit" back in 2011 before Vad Lee committed.

For those in the know, how close was Nick Marshall to really coming to GT had UGA not swooped in? Also, I think Nick Marshall wouldn't have had all the off the field drama had he come here. I know it's cliche among GT fans that our guys are too busy to get into trouble, but I also think it's true. Plus, I think the character of our guys would have created a different kind of peer pressure as opposed to UGA. If anyone knows Demaryius Thomas's story, that's a good example of how the lifestyle of a GT player can be a bonus in some instances.

Anyhow, I've seen how Marshall directs that offense, and embraces the option aspects of Auburn's offense and wonder how he would have done here.

I've read in several places that Nick Marshall was a "silent commit" back in 2011 before Vad Lee committed.

For those in the know, how close was Nick Marshall to really coming to GT had UGA not swooped in? Also, I think Nick Marshall wouldn't have had all the off the field drama had he come here. I know it's cliche among GT fans that our guys are too busy to get into trouble, but I also think it's true. Plus, I think the character of our guys would have created a different kind of peer pressure as opposed to UGA. If anyone knows Demaryius Thomas's story, that's a good example of how the lifestyle of a GT player can be a bonus in some instances.

Anyhow, I've seen how Marshall directs that offense, and embraces the option aspects of Auburn's offense and wonder how he would have done here.

Let's see:

According to you a guy that STOLE FROM HIS TEAM MATES at UGA, would NOT have gotten into any trouble and would NOT have stolen from his team mates here at GT.

The only way this scenario is possible is that the SEC Boosters pay more under the table at UGA therefore he had more swag flashed in front of his thieving eyes at UGA than if he had come to a "clean program" like GT where the Booster don't give our players anything, therefore no swag to flash in front of his eyes.

IMO that is the only scenario where this THIEF doesn't steal when he gets to GT.

A thief will always be a thief, all they need is an opportunity, and then their inner-nature takes over and poof, your stuff is gone.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's see:

According to you a guy that STOLE FROM HIS TEAM MATES at UGA, would NOT have gotten into any trouble and would NOT have stolen from his team mates here at GT.

The only way this scenario is possible is that the SEC Boosters pay more under the table at UGA therefore he had more swag flashed in front of his thieving eyes at UGA than if he had come to a "clean program" like GT where the Booster don't give our players anything, therefore no swag to flash in front of his eyes.

IMO that is the only scenario where this THIEF doesn't steal when he gets to GT.

A thief will always be a thief, all they need is an opportunity, and then their inner-nature takes over and poof, your stuff is gone.

Let he who has not sinned...

Let he who has not sinned...

You didn't say anything about sin in your original post, you said that he would not have gotten into trouble.

He deserves a 2nd chance, but IMO it looks bad when schools in the same conference can profit by letting players in when they screw up in a criminal fashion at another school.

Ever since the Hope Scholly and the raising of the Academic Profile at UGA they will never be able to take a transfer from another school that got kicked out for criminal activity, only UGA, Vandy, and Kentucky operate this way in the SEC.

BTW, Marshall's partner in crime Sanders is headed to Baylor, where he is expected to compete for a starting role at CB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You didn't say anything about sin in your original post, you said that he would not have gotten into trouble.

He deserves a 2nd chance, but IMO it looks bad when schools in the same conference can profit by letting players in when they screw up in a criminal fashion at another school.

Ever since the Hope Scholly and the raising of the Academic Profile at UGA they will never be able to take a transfer from another school that got kicked out for criminal activity, only UGA, Vandy, and Kentucky operate this way in the SEC.

BTW, Marshall's partner in crime Sanders is headed to Baylor, where he is expected to compete for a starting role at CB.

Out of your system yet? I just really want to know the real story behind GT and Marshall.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He was never committed here. CPJ tried hard to get him...sat next to him on a OV at a basketball game. He was pretty solid on UGA all the way...as a DB none the less. I'm honestly glad he didnt come here...would have been a problem child. He is a baller tho.

Out of your system yet? I just really want to know the real story behind GT and Marshall.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It is not about being out of my system, but it is kinda silly that so many GT fans think that GT is this special place where a problem athlete will be so busy studying Calculus that they'll never do anything wrong like they do at the "factories".

Almost every player on GT's roster has some sort of friendship with those same troubled players at the factories, they all played AAU ball together or 7-on-7 together or played vs. each other in HS, our players might not have a close relationship, but all the same BCS level players do know each other, they all compete on the same circuit in HS and in summer leagues.

too many GT fans act like once a player graces Techwood Dr. & Bobby Dodd Way, that they instantly become angels.

I have heard this stuff for years that if so-and-so had signed with GT he would have stayed out of trouble.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It is not about being out of my system, but it is kinda silly that so many GT fans think that GT is this special place where a problem athlete will be so busy studying Calculus that they'll never do anything wrong like they do at the "factories".

Almost every player on GT's roster has some sort of friendship with those same troubled players at the factories, they all played AAU ball together or 7-on-7 together or played vs. each other in HS, our players might not have a close relationship, but all the same BCS level players do know each other, they all compete on the same circuit in HS and in summer leagues.

too many GT fans act like once a player graces Techwood Dr. & Bobby Dodd Way, that they instantly become angels.

I have heard this stuff for years that if so-and-so had signed with GT he would have stayed out of trouble.

Everyone knows players that come to GT don't become angels. They become Engineers...or management majors. Get your rants correct!

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow

That's a fact. While in Nashville for the MCB my wife and I were downtown and ran into several of the players bar hopping and well just "being" college students. While were no "incidents" in Nashville there very well could have been. Some of these trouble kids are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

gtdrew

Banned
That's a fact. While in Nashville for the MCB my wife and I were downtown and ran into several of the players bar hopping and well just "being" college students. While were no "incidents" in Nashville there very well could have been. Some of these trouble kids are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I honestly think the biggest difference is that Atlanta PD and Georgia Tech PD have more to do than ride herd on athletes, unlike cowtowns like Athens, Climpsumb, Awburn, et al...