Nick Jacobs

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I'm a little iffy on this one. He'd sit out a year to play one left, similar to Sampson. Not similar to Sampson are the circumstances under which he left Bama.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2014/5/...yer-nick-jacobs-released-from-his-scholarship

I'd rather see us get a Mitchell, who will play 2 years and has a chip on his shoulder against Duke or somewhat of a longshot in Gabe Levin, who was WCC all-freshman at Loyola Marymount and would play 3 years after sitting out 1. Seems like those options would be better rebounders, also.

@Midlands Jacket - last year was weird, given the injuries & midseason dismissal of Solomon Poole, but assuming our thinking is the same, I'd like to see us fill every scholarship, assuming it's with a player that can help long-term or act as a solid single year stopgap. That said, we seem to have some solid walk-ons, which is great & appreciated... for practice purposes.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You mean we don’t want a 6’8 player who averages 7 free throw attempts per game and only makes half of them? Not sure if he fits into our offense (do we have one of those?). Typical 3-4 tweener with no position.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I like transfers and all but it seems like CBG is going to this well more often as opposed to successfully landing the elite recruits that Hewitt and Cremins were able to lure. This is only my opinion though.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We are turning into Fresno State during the Tark years. Coach with a DUI, player with a DUI, player getting dimissed for rumored altercation with another player, top player transfers out, 3 players transfer in.... I like BG but it looks like he's reaching for anything he can get. It's a shame because he is A great guy (average coach) but he was set up to fail from the time he took the job.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We are turning into Fresno State during the Tark years. Coach with a DUI, player with a DUI, player getting dimissed for rumored altercation with another player, top player transfers out, 3 players transfer in.... I like BG but it looks like he's reaching for anything he can get. It's a shame because he is A great guy (average coach) but he was set up to fail from the time he took the job.

Interesting view on it and I can't disagree ... well, except for the bolded portion. He walked into a tough situation for sure but it wasn't that bad.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

but for the dui it could be that phewitt kept things closer to the vest. if i had been a such a crappy coach as phewitt i too would have distanced myself from the fans the public and journalists.

like him or hate him..... you cant say that coach is lax on discipline and academics.

jeffgt14

He had talent from the beginning. He let Julian Royal become fat and Lazy. He kicked Glen Rice Jr. off the team. He never developed Udofia or Holsey. He lost Brandon Reed and Nate Hicks to transfers. Jason Morris was actually healthy CBG’s first year.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Interesting view on it and I can't disagree ... well, except for the bolded portion. He walked into a tough situation for sure but it wasn't that bad.

are you serious? really? we werent graduating players. we finished last in the acc in academics. we were on ncaa academic probation 2 years running and had scholarships removed by the ncaa. we finished last in the acc. we couldnt inbound the ball to save our asses. we played hack a shaq d. espn announcers referenced our o as clogged toilet offense. we had lost to uga two years in a row. we almost NEVER won a road game under phewitt.

on more than one occasion i SAW espn announcers use gt as the butt of jokes. one of his star recruits is back in jail for murder.

NOT THAT BAD?

additionally the last couple of years, phewitt was starting to struggle to recruit. reason? crappy fn teams and a lack of committment to the student athlete. see above. it wasnt getting better. it was getting worse. phewitt got out when the getting was good. i was amazed at how well coach cbg was able to recruit all things considered.

And you say that the situation under phewitt wasnt that bad? i would put the last of the phewitt years a smidgeon above dwayne morrison years. i witnessed those years as well. both teams had issues inbounding the ball. both finished dead last in the acc.

... not that bad? if you say so. lmao.

jeffgt14

I’m glad we got Jacobs because he looks like an athletic kid but it’s ridiculous we are filling our roster with transfers instead of quality recruits. You can’t build team chemistry with a bunch of transfers. It feels like the MLB with all these players transferring in and out.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Difference being Fresno St brought in Courtney Alexander, Tremaine Folkes, Rafer Alston, Avondre Jones, Chris Herren, Chris Jefferies.

He brought a lot of talent to Fresno via transfer

This kid looks talented. Athletic for sure. With all the swings and misses via recruiting ill take a for certain talented kid on the roster over a question mark any day.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
are you serious? really? we werent graduating players. we finished last in the acc in academics. we were on ncaa academic probation 2 years running and had scholarships removed by the ncaa. we finished last in the acc. we couldnt inbound the ball to save our asses. we played hack a shaq d. espn announcers referenced our o as clogged toilet offense. we had lost to uga two years in a row. we almost NEVER won a road game under phewitt.

on more than one occasion i SAW espn announcers use gt as the butt of jokes. one of his star recruits is back in jail for murder.

NOT THAT BAD?

additionally the last couple of years, phewitt was starting to struggle to recruit. reason? crappy fn teams and a lack of committment to the student athlete. see above. it wasnt getting better. it was getting worse. phewitt got out when the getting was good. i was amazed at how well coach cbg was able to recruit all things considered.

And you say that the situation under phewitt wasnt that bad? i would put the last of the phewitt years a smidgeon above dwayne morrison years. i witnessed those years as well. both teams had issues inbounding the ball. both finished dead last in the acc.

We just disagree with each other. No need to drag the board down with it. I long for those last few Hewitt years over what we're going through right now.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He had talent from the beginning. He let Julian Royal become fat and Lazy. He kicked Glen Rice Jr. off the team. He never developed Udofia or Holsey. He lost Brandon Reed and Nate Hicks to transfers. Jason Morris was actually healthy CBG’s first year.

THANK YOU !!!!!
I've been crying this for years.. Don't blame Hewitt for CBG sucking as a coach.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

NOT THAT BAD?

With all that said and the year before his last GT played in the tournament and had a top 5 NBA player drafted. Miss me with all that.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
We just disagree with each other. No need to drag the board down with it. I long for those last few Hewitt years over what we're going through right now.

huh? drag the board down? what you talking about willis? maybe some of us think that those of you who trash cbg drag the board down.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Outside of the final four team, Blewit, was less than mediocre as a coach and a recruiter hell he didn't coach the final four team. His assistants did. Glenn Rice Jr was a punk, Udofia was overrated coming out of HS and could never find a spot to excel in, Holsey was never the same after his injury and refused to pass the ball and was always good for 3-4 stupid turn overs a game, Jason Morris was not a good basketball player (great athlete yes) Nate Hicks are you kidding me, Brandon Reed not an ACC caliber player. Plain and simple Blewit hit the jack pot with Jarrett and Bynum. All he did was roll the ball on the court and let Jarrett do his thing and Bynum create. Blewit's offense never changed while he was at Tech, it was somebody do something please. His defensive philosophy was simple to, try and steal the ball and if you wiff the other team gets an open look or Tech got a lay up. Gregory's coaching ability runs circles around Blewit. As far as all the transfers coming in, that my friends is college basketball today. You either get on board or get left behind.