NFL to roll-out male cheerleaders in 2018

Milwaukee

Banned
Why all the hullabaloo? Colleges have had male cheerleaders for DECADES. You think the women at the games don't enjoy eyeballing a male cheerleader as much as the men enjoy eyeballing the female cheerleaders?

If you read the article these aren't like the collegiate men at the base of a pyramid holding up the girls. These are guys on the dance team doing the same dances as the women. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to, I'm just saying it's funny as hell. And kinda weird.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If you read the article these aren't like the collegiate men at the base of a pyramid holding up the girls. These are guys on the dance team doing the same dances as the women. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to, I'm just saying it's funny as hell. And kinda weird.

To each his own I suppose. No one would say a word if it were a dance review on a Broadway stage but, gasp, it's on a football field. I simply thought we were past this kind of reaction as a society.

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
To each his own I suppose. No one would say a word if it were a dance review on a Broadway stage but, gasp, it's on a football field. I simply thought we were past this kind of reaction as a society.
Exactly! It's not on Broadway but on a football field! That is what caused me to struggle with how I felt about it! It isn't a problem with me or society, as you infer, but rather it is something new that requires some observation and getting used to. I would have the same reaction if they started letting girls play on the football team...."Well, this is new! I'm not sure what I think about this!"

I'll try to get past it!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Why all the hullabaloo? Colleges have had male cheerleaders for DECADES. You think the women at the games don't enjoy eyeballing a male cheerleader as much as the men enjoy eyeballing the female cheerleaders?

I don't think that's necessarily true. I mean, let's be honest. Do you like watching masculine chicks just 'cause they happen to be "female"?

I doubt women enjoy watching some dude prancing around as a cheerleader.

I feel like such a neanderthal for saying this but I don't think it's untrue.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I don't think people are being 'extra' in their reaction. I think it's just eye-roll worthy. What kind of reaction are you talking about? You don't think this is a weird and sudden change?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that's necessarily true. I mean, let's be honest. Do you like watching masculine chicks just 'cause they happen to be "female"?

I doubt women enjoy watching some dude prancing around as a cheerleader.

I feel like such a neanderthal for saying this but I don't think it's untrue.

I don't know, I've enjoyed watching women's beach volleyball and women's gymnastics, women's ice skating. Those ladies are quite well cut. Does that qualify?

Do you think they are going to put the male cheerleaders in the same outfits as the women?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't think people are being 'extra' in their reaction. I think it's just eye-roll worthy. What kind of reaction are you talking about? You don't think this is a weird and sudden change?

No I don't think it's weird. Why would I as an adult? I would suspect the NFL has done its demographic research prior to rolling this out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't know, I've enjoyed watching women's beach volleyball and women's gymnastics, women's ice skating. Those ladies are quite well cut. Does that qualify?

Do you think they are going to put the male cheerleaders in the same outfits as the women?

Heh. No, that absolutely does not count. They are actually trying to look feminine.

I think the outfits will be equivalent, not the same.

No I don't think it's weird. Why would I as an adult? I would suspect the NFL has done its demographic research prior to rolling this out.

I don't think it makes me juvenile if I suggest this could be weird. I've seen co-ed dance groups and it's been fine. Pretty cool, in many cases but nothing newsworthy. If they try to 'make news' with this, then I have a feeling the iteration will be something weird.

You're so preachy today, OJF. :wtf:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Heh. No, that absolutely does not count. They are actually trying to look feminine.

I think the outfits will be equivalent, not the same.

I don't think it makes me juvenile if I suggest this could be weird. I've seen co-ed dance groups and it's been fine. Pretty cool, in many cases but nothing newsworthy. If they try to 'make news' with this, then I have a feeling the iteration will be something weird.

You're so preachy today, OJF. :wtf:

So are the female cheerleaders ;) I know MANY women who love looking at male athletes, my late wife used to absolutely love looking at Ryan Klesko's and Ron Gant's butts back when they were both Braves and wasn't shy about saying so.

No saying you're juvenile, I'm just surprised that this is being greeted by some as something newsworthy is all :)

Preachy? Nah, I reserve that for Tech football :D