NFL Draft

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looks like the guys on the NFL network were very approving of the Smelter pick when they heard it.

Makes you wonder how much higher he would have went had he been healthy through the draft process.

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
Finally get to cheer for a Jacket on my team! Too bad everything else was going downhill going into the season. Maybe the Smelter pick is the first step in the right direction. :)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So Smelter ended up going before Waller? That's a surprise, isn't it, although I can't disagree with it.

Not really a surprise. Waller has the measurables, but if you watched his film the production didn't match it. Smelter if the far better WR prospect even with the ACL injury.

Going into the draft I thought he would have been lucky to get drafted at all. Surprised me that he was being mentioned in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

I think the 5-7th rounds is a good area. Not much of a high investment, but the upside is worth the pick for someone like Waller.

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
Number of CPJ drafted WRs (yes I'm counting BeBe) climbs to 3, with 4 possibly coming today. Saw an article on ESPN that GT had fourth most WRs drafted in ACC since 2010. Of course, that was before this draft.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Congrats to Shaq and Smelter. Interesting that they were picked back to back.

Waiting for other Jacket names to be called....

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm happy for both of these guys! I am convinced that in the 4th round, teams are still filling priorities. This is better than just being "drafted." This is drafted with the feeling that the team has legitimate interest in you, and that you have a chance to make the squad.

Just yesterday, I had said that if it got down into 6th and especially 7th rounds-- I was pulling for DeAndre to go undrafted. Sometimes, their agent can shop them with a handful of suitors that way and get a better fit. This feels like a good outcome.

Not really a surprise. Waller has the measurables, but if you watched his film the production didn't match it. Smelter if the far better WR prospect even with the ACL injury.

Going into the draft I thought he would have been lucky to get drafted at all. Surprised me that he was being mentioned in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

I think the 5-7th rounds is a good area. Not much of a high investment, but the upside is worth the pick for someone like Waller.
OH, I totally agree with you, but I thought, since Smelter is still recovering from his injury, that Waller was expected to go sooner in the draft. That is why I find it surprising.