NFL Draft

Techster

Helluva Engineer
BTW...was re-watching the Clemson game last night. During the game, the announcers made a comment that CPJ said a BUNCH of NFL scouts were scouting Deandre Smelter.

Something to keep in mind.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is he better than Duke though? I don't know...

Both are comparable RBs. Duke is a little smaller, and Coleman has game breaking speed. I guess it's about preference and scheme fit between the two.

I like that pick a lot for the Falcons. I did not like their second round pick with what was on the board at that point.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Lorenzo Mauldin gets picked by NY Jets. Great story there...remember he was the kid that South Carolina basically cut late in the recruiting process. Foster kid that had nothing. Ended up at Louisville with Charlie Strong and worked his tail off. Now he's going to be a millionaire.

Good for him.

Graduated from the school where i teach.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Both are comparable RBs. Duke is a little smaller, and Coleman has game breaking speed. I guess it's about preference and scheme fit between the two.

I like that pick a lot for the Falcons. I did not like their second round pick with what was on the board at that point.
I don't know much about the Collins kid, but a lot of analyst say he had potential 1st round ability. He had a foot surgery that hurt him though, without that they say he could have been the best cb in the draft. I also saw one thing that said one guy had all three of our picks in his top 48 , and from my understanding every guy we got was on nfl gurus mock drafts as round one guys.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I really think Smelter, Waller, and Shaq would be great fits in the Falcons' new scheme. The emphasis is going to be on mobile OL run blocking well, and from Julio's comments in the AJC the other day, there's going to be an emphasis on all 11 guys carrying out their assignment on every play (which I read as "we're gonna have to block").
Where was that emphasis before? Sad

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I wish the Falcons could have gotten Perryman. To finish the draft today, I want Eli Harold in the 4th, Hardy from ECU in the 5th, Shaq in the 6th, Ramik Wilson in the 7th

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why you guys don't like JC. Typical Quinn type CB big, rangy corner with speed comparable to ex-Seahawk Byron Maxwell

In stature...but the guy has had some issues on and off the field. Failed 3 drug tests, and played 30+ games at LSU but only started 10. From what I've read and heard from LSU fans, only got the starting job back due to injury to another player.

A second rounder is just as good as a 1st rounder in this era...gotta have a more solid guy on and off the field if you're going to draft him that high. Has the talent to be really good (played as a true freshmen at LSU), but is he serious about his craft? We'll see...but there were other CBs in that slot with the same stature and talent available without the baggage.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
All I know is the guys that are paid to grade players have all said he could have been a first rounder without the weed thing and his foot surgery. Like I said before I don't know much about him, but they obviously see something about him. One guy even has him in his top 50 players, so that means he would be one of his top dbs. I see where you are coming from though. I just hope he does well and stays out of trouble.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All I know is the guys that are paid to grade players have all said he could have been a first rounder without the weed thing and his foot surgery. Like I said before I don't know much about him, but they obviously see something about him. One guy even has him in his top 50 players, so that means he would be one of his top dbs. I see where you are coming from though. I just hope he does well and stays out of trouble.

Scares me when you discuss a player and all you talk about is measurables and "upside" more than you do about his actual on field production...which was limited because he wasn't a full time starter most of his career. Only started 7 games in 2014. On top of that, you have his off the field issues.

Could be a great player, but too many question marks for a high 2nd round pick.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chan Gailey gets a QB to play with in Baylor's Bryce Petty. Also has to develop Geno Smith.

Gailey never puts himself into easy QB situations.