NFL Draft

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Shaq being drafted, but I hope I'm wrong, cause him being drafted would be potentially significant in helping with recruiting.
As of right now the only GT I feel confident that will be drafted is Darren Waller.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ACC with 3 of the top 10 picks, and #1 overall pick.

I'm a little "eh" about the Falcon's pick of Vic Beasley. Not a bad pick by any means, just thinking what could have been with Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Julio Jones, and...Todd Gurley. Wow...that offense would have been sick. Screw defense...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Falcon's pick Beasley... ESPN talking heads all but pooping all over the pick.
They are talking about Gurley as THE pick of the remaining players going into the 8th pick.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would love to hear why the Falcons passed on Gurley.

1. Same people making the same stupid decisions in the past drafts
2. They're listening to the "You can't draft a RB in the first round!" motto Mel Kiper likes to beat the table with.
3. Their defense is atrocious...not that this really means anything to them...

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
I really like the Beasley pick. I think he'll provide a consistent pass rush for the Falcons, but in the interest of full disclosure, I've always been impressed with Beasley and Grady Jarrett. I think Jarrett will be a huge asset wherever he winds up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dante Wigley reminds me a lot of Kevin Johnson of Wake Forest that just got drafted. Taller CB with a thin build...I think Wigley will be more physical though. Dante loves to hit.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
As talented as Gurley is, taking a RB that high who is coming off of an injury when you had the worst defense in the league the previous season would be foolish. I thought Gurley would have been a good pick in the 15-20 range. Anywhere in the top 10 was a stretch.
No joke. The pass rush was weak. But of course, we could have taken Gurley if they would have been smart and taken Sneezy instead of Hageman.
There should be a bunch of good running back prospects still at our second and third picks. Elite pass rusher? Probably not.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No joke. The pass rush was weak. But of course, we could have taken Gurley if they would have been smart and taken Sneezy instead of Hageman.
There should be a bunch of good running back prospects still at our second and third picks. Elite pass rusher? Probably not.

The problem is Beasley isn't an elite pass rusher. He's good, but has a lot of holes in his game. On the NFL level, he's not going to consistently beat OLs with speed...he's going to have to develop some power and punch that all elite pass rushers have. Gruden is right...Beasley isn't strong against the run, and doesn't always give maximum effort.

However you feel about Gurley because he's a mutt, he's still an elite RB. Probably the best RB to come out of college since Adrian Peterson. Size, Power, Speed, ability to be a weapon in the passing game...heck, he can even return kickoffs and do it better than half the returners in the NFL. Gurley's one question mark is durability...and that's not a small concern. However, his upside is ridiculous. With Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Roddy White to keep defenders out of the box...good luck defense. As GT fans know, sometimes a good running game and good offense can be your defense.